Is it really this Bad?

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
I was over in the General Apologetics room and I got midly involved with a thread with the question of "How can we be more righteous than the Pharasees"?

I think people are actually trying to answer this question as though it is merely more exhortion. Basically, here's what Jesus said they were doing wrong, so dont' do that. :eek:

Is the modern Church really this far from bible truth that there isn't even the most elementary understanding of justification? :sigh:

I just put a link to monergism, I wouldn't even know where to start with something this crucial.

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tigersnare said:
I was over in the General Apologetics room and I got midly involved with a thread with the question of "How can we be more righteous than the Pharasees"?

I think people are actually trying to answer this question as though it is merely more exhortion. Basically, here's what Jesus said they were doing wrong, so dont' do that. :eek:

Is the modern Church really this far from bible truth that there isn't even the most elementary understanding of justification? :sigh:

I just put a link to monergism, I wouldn't even know where to start with something this crucial.
Yes it is that bad. I have been stating for years now that what passes for Christianity in this age doesn't even resemble the Christianity of the Scriptures. The god of this age has blinded the eyes of many and God has sent them a strong delusion that they should believe a lie. 2Cor. 4:4, 2Thess. 2:11-13

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
tigersnare said:

To answer your question -- YES! It's that bad!

There was a thread in the GT forum called something like "is the US becoming Biblically illiterate?" and my first thought was BECOMING?

The Bible says that the way is narrow. May God have mercy on us!

CC&E

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am getting tired of debating in General Theology section. People there are so stubborn. In the days of Pharisees. They felt they have earned the blessings from God through their works and faith when Jesus publicly rebuked them. What was so bad about the hypocrisy? If we think of it as consisting merely in their teaching or pretending one thing while in fact practicing something contradictory, we will miss Jesus' main point. After reading General Theology threads, it appear that we are living in a Pharisaic-dominated society.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
tigersnare said:

Yeah, it's not really changed from being that bad. Protestants sometimes get to look at it differently -- but not all of us even get that far. I once read a good survey on the Sermon on the Mount. Even in the 19th and early 20th century Russian revolutionaries were intent on implementing the Sermon on the Mount into a social structure.

As for reasons why it's got a little worse since medieval times, I tend to point to the secular philosopher Alasdair MacIntyre's book, "After Virtue". Try reading "A disquieting suggestion" in Amazon's "look inside" and you'll see why.

Upvote 0