Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Civil Rights Movement was always an inspiration to me. My partner for about a year got into Black History month and started tell me about what she was reading. I was into it, she used to kid me and ask am I sure if I didn't have some black blood in there somewhere. Not likely, not that my forbears would have cared, they were French Indian. Nothing wrong with taking pride in the Civil Rights movement, I certainly do.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The Civil Rights Movement was always an inspiration to me. My partner for about a year got into Black History month and started tell me about what she was reading. I was into it, she used to kid me and ask am I sure if I didn't have some black blood in there somewhere. Not likely, not that my forbears would have cared, they were French Indian. Nothing wrong with taking pride in the Civil Rights movement, I certainly do.

Thank you

• Friendly
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
For what, there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your heritage, I know I do.

Yeah, I guess I'm just saying thank you for your reply and what you said was very encouraging.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, I guess I'm just saying thank you for your reply and what you said was very encouraging.
My pleasure, like I said, a friend of mine was telling me about the guy who lite up London and a lot of other things. I think that's cool.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
My pleasure, like I said, a friend of mine was telling me about the guy who lite up London and a lot of other things. I think that's cool.

Grace and peace,
Mark

That is pretty cool

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am a proud African American man. I am proud of the African American history. I am proud of what African Americans accomplished during the Civil Rights Movement. And I am proud of what the students did at Central High School in Little Rock.

But I am not somebody who holds resentment towards anybody. I am not somebody who is expecting an apology from anyone, even though someone told me a long time ago we shouldn't have to continue to apologize for what happened in the Civil Rights Movement. I wasn't there, so I wasn't expecting an apology. But that doesn't mean that I'm not proud of its history. And if you weren't there and had nothing to do with it, you shouldn't have had to apologize at all.

I have to do a research project at school. I have to create a superhero, for example, like Wonder Woman, but it doesn't have to be Wonder Woman I'm just using that as an example. And she or he has to have multiple different super powers, and she or he either changes or stops an event in history from 1873 to 2018. And it just has to be one event, like the civil rights movement or World War II. Or it could be 9/11 or anything that happened in history.

I am doing my research project on the Civil Rights Movement. My fear is because I am African-American and race has actually become very controversial. And I am the only African-American in my history class, which I don't think matters but sometimes I am afraid that it does. I do not believe anyone is racist in my class, but I am just afraid of my project that it is going to cause some friction. I don't know.

I guess my question is, do you think it is racist that an African American loves his own history? Do you think it's racist that an African-American loves his own history above all the other historical events?

Be very blunt with me I can take it, even though in the past or just recently I was not very nice to somebody who criticized me. But I think I can handle it now.
No, it's not racist.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your heritage,
So if you are of German stock, you should be PROUD to have your ancestors involved in killing 6 million Jews, and another 6 million Christians, Roma, political dissidents, etc?

If you are Turkish, you should be PROUD of the Armenian genocide?

If you are from the Hutu tribe in Rwanda or Burundi, you should be PROUD of trying to kill off the Tutsi tribe?

If you are of British stock in the US, you should be PROUD of the genocide of Native Americans?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So if you are of German stock, you should be PROUD to have your ancestors involved in killing 6 million Jews, and another 6 million Christians, Roma, political dissidents, etc?
You can be proud of your cultural heritage, in the sense of taking pleasure in its accomplishments, even while acknowledging the sins of your ancestors.

Germans can rightly be proud of their philosophers, theologians, musicians, and engineers, even while acknowledging and lamenting the terrible crimes committed by Germany in the 20th century.

I'm an American of mostly British ancestry, with roots both in New England and in the American South. I take pride in the political achievement of the American Constitution and the legal system it embodies. I think the architecture of the buildings on the Mall in Washington, DC, is wonderful. There have been great British-American poets, authors, and composers. And there's nothing quite like good Carolina barbecue. I am also ashamed and appalled that Britons and British-Americans kidnapped Africans to sell into slavery, that the children of these Africans were kept in slavery for over two centuries, and that Native Americans were driven off their land in the Trail of Tears. It's both, pride and shame.

So it's quite possible to be proud of your subculture's achievements, while lamenting the wrongs it has done. Moving forward, one tries to continue those things that are good, and learn from those things that were wrong.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am mostly of German stock, but they were in the US in the late 18th to middle 19th centuries, and the early ones came from German Switzerland, not what is now Germany proper.

I also am related to a clan of Jewish rabbis (Shapiro chassidic dynasty) who were almost completely wiped out during WW2.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to look at this from all angles. What is "Black Pride" really proud of? Does being proud of being Black also mean to be proud that it was only Black people who captured and sold Black slaves to White men?

There would never have been even one Black slave working on Southern Plantations if it were not for original Black Slave Traders selling their brothers to White men.

As Plover Wing said above.... let's see some balance in our "Pride" rhetoric.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What is "Black Pride" really proud of?
No one is claiming that the members of any ethnic group are sinless. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God, after all.

But I hear "Black Pride" as pushing back against all the ways that American culture has held black people down. You must have seen and heard some of this growing up; I certainly did. The idea that it's only natural for black people to be maids and janitors, instead of doctors and lawyers, because that's what they're best at. The idea that black people, on the whole, aren't really as smart at white people. That sort of thing. Eventually, I presume, African-Americans get sick to death of hearing this crap. And so, instead: "Yes, I'm black, and that's not a bad thing, it's a good thing! I'm proud of being black! We're good people, great people!" I'm white, so I acknowledge that I'm looking in from the outside, but that's what I hear in the words "Black Pride".

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am a proud African American man. I am proud of the African American history. I am proud of what African Americans accomplished during the Civil Rights Movement. And I am proud of what the students did at Central High School in Little Rock.

But I am not somebody who holds resentment towards anybody. I am not somebody who is expecting an apology from anyone, even though someone told me a long time ago we shouldn't have to continue to apologize for what happened in the Civil Rights Movement. I wasn't there, so I wasn't expecting an apology. But that doesn't mean that I'm not proud of its history. And if you weren't there and had nothing to do with it, you shouldn't have had to apologize at all.

I have to do a research project at school. I have to create a superhero, for example, like Wonder Woman, but it doesn't have to be Wonder Woman I'm just using that as an example. And she or he has to have multiple different super powers, and she or he either changes or stops an event in history from 1873 to 2018. And it just has to be one event, like the civil rights movement or World War II. Or it could be 9/11 or anything that happened in history.

I am doing my research project on the Civil Rights Movement. My fear is because I am African-American and race has actually become very controversial. And I am the only African-American in my history class, which I don't think matters but sometimes I am afraid that it does. I do not believe anyone is racist in my class, but I am just afraid of my project that it is going to cause some friction. I don't know.

I guess my question is, do you think it is racist that an African American loves his own history? Do you think it's racist that an African-American loves his own history above all the other historical events?

Be very blunt with me I can take it, even though in the past or just recently I was not very nice to somebody who criticized me. But I think I can handle it now.
you're not racist for it, not at all. make sure you have pride in yourself as well though-equally important.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

If you are from the Hutu tribe in Rwanda or Burundi, you should be PROUD of trying to kill off the Tutsi tribe?

If you are of British stock in the US, you should be PROUD of the genocide of Native Americans?
African Americans and Madagascar: An Ambiguous Adventure
Heritae can be interestin.
Roots Revealed: Got Roots in Madagascar?

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

all black people are from the bibical land of eyt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

All nations have their best men and women. We're all children of God and we all bleed red. Which can only mean we all make mistakes and progress together as a human race. We will be so advanced in Jesus' and God's ways, we won't need paper for money, no war because we look different and have blaming on particular things in life for war on such senseless things-we will share together and be disciplined under God's ways.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you - learned something interesting today - Sankofa.
sankofa2.jpg

African-American history is American history - it shouldn't be relegated to a subset. That something is about race does not make it racist.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps perhaps do a small introduction about your conflict of whether to use this topic and explain that in the end you decided that you shouldn’t censor yourself for the sake of avoiding a controversial subject. I’m sure it will be fine.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you - learned something interesting today - Sankofa.
sankofa2.jpg

African-American history is American history - it shouldn't be relegated to a subset. That something is about race does not make it racist.

youre african american?

In elementary school they made people take of where there from-heritage projects. I dont remember more clearly what a black kid talked about. https://www.quora.com/Do-African-Americans-know-their-African-origin

Why I’d Rather Be Called a Black American Than an African-American

While almost all of my classmates in my predominantly white Connecticut elementary school could proudly claim that their grandparents—or great-grandparents—had come to America at some point from Ireland, or Italy, or Greece, I was forced to acknowledge that I had no idea where my forebears had lived, as they were brought here against their will and any records of their origins had long since been lost. My grandparents and great-grandparents on both sides of my family were born in the South and the mid-Atlantic—hardly an interesting story, or so I thought at the time.

“Where are your parents from?” he clarified, after I told him I was a visiting American. “They’re also from America,” I explained, slightly confused about what he was getting at.

Eventually, it dawned on me: He was asking the same question my school project had asked: He was curious what non-American country my family was from. Kenya, Nigeria, both? I tried to explain that as far as I know, I have no immediate or extended relatives outside of the States, but he didn’t seem to fully grasp what I meant.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
youre african american?
No, mixed European ancestry from what I know - including some Neanderthal from way back. Mother's family is more recent, although I had great-grandmothers on each side who didn't speak English. Nevertheless, American history is shared American history of us all.

In elementary school they made people take of where there from-heritage projects. I dont remember more clearly what a black kid talked about. https://www.quora.com/Do-African-Americans-know-their-African-origin

Why I’d Rather Be Called a Black American Than an African-American
A lot of people don't know their origins. Family histories can be notoriously inaccurate, records lost or simply not made in the first place, secrets kept, lies told, adoptions formal and informally made, etc.

A surprising number of Americans don't seem to understand that Africa is not a country. Well, actually, it's not that surprising - when I was growing up, "world history" ignored Africa, apart from ancient Egypt, and South America only existed as a landing spot for the Great Explorers. I don't really suppose it's changed all that much. I didn't really learn much history until I took art history and survey of literature courses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0