Is it possible to be baptised into Christianity without PROFESSING belief?

Dec 7, 2008
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
I know people like Lutherans, Catholics insist on a lot of doctrinal instruction, answering questions, believing a catechism, is there anywheres you can just go get bapti[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]z[/FONT]ed, what you believe is between you and God, no questioning? I'm knowledgeable about the Bible, but my conclusions are a bit unorthodox, not terribly. It has to do with the nature of the trinity among other things, so I do not want to answer lots of questions, 'Do you accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour?' etc., I am not anything close to unitarian, I do believe in the definite importance of the Bible as a holy book. My problem is a desire to be baptized without lying to someone about what I think. Who does this some type of revivalist or baptist?

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know people like Lutherans, Catholics insist on a lot of doctrinal instruction, answering questions, believing a catechism, is there anywheres you can just go get bapti[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]z[/font]ed, what you believe is between you and God, no questioning? I'm knowledgeable about the Bible, but my conclusions are a bit unorthodox, not terribly. It has to do with the nature of the trinity among other things, so I do not want to answer lots of questions, 'Do you accept Jesus Christ as your personal saviour?' etc., I am not anything close to unitarian, I do believe in the definite importance of the Bible as a holy book. My problem is a desire to be baptized without lying to someone about what I think. Who does this some type of revivalist or baptist?

Hey Nathaniel!!

Within the UCC it really does not matter what your personal relationship with God is (it is personal after all!). You can be baptized by anyone ordained in any fashion you see fit be it sprinkling, full water, half way, rolling up your pant legs...etc etc.

I once baptized a friend of mine whos beliefs were very similar to what you describe in you post. We went out to his hottub (he wanted full water imersion) and with a simple prayer (no recitals) he was baptized!

Blessings!

RevSJamison

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was baptised as an adult in the UCC church. I felt a tug to go to church but I knew that I didn't buy half of what I thought you HAD to believe in order to call yourself a christian...but I went..something was pushing me towards church. We started attending an UCC congregation and eventually the pastor and I started talking....I shared a few things about my beliefs and such...we had some nice conversations...we talked about baptism because my middle daughter was an infant....and I expressed the desire to be baptised...but the hesitation to recite certain creeds since it would feel like a lie at that point. She baptised me anyway...and my two daughters were baptised/dedicated at the same time. She was a gem and very helpful to a new and struggling seeker.

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey Nathaniel!!

Within the UCC it really does not matter what your personal relationship with God is (it is personal after all!). You can be baptized by anyone ordained in any fashion you see fit be it sprinkling, full water, half way, rolling up your pant legs...etc etc.

I once baptized a friend of mine whos beliefs were very similar to what you describe in you post. We went out to his hottub (he wanted full water imersion) and with a simple prayer (no recitals) he was baptized!

Blessings!

RevSJamison

Great story...I can't imagine how it must feel to experience that with a friend....makes me think about John the Baptist and Jesus....two bros....hanging out....loving their God....what an awesome experience.

Upvote 0

Supernaut

What did they aim for when they missed your heart?
Jun 12, 2009
Sacramento, CA
✟12,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great story...I can't imagine how it must feel to experience that with a friend....makes me think about John the Baptist and Jesus....two bros....hanging out....loving their God....what an awesome experience.

It was a blessing and an honor for me that he wanted me to baptize him. We have grown to be even closer friends since. Experiences like this remind me how much I love God.

Upvote 0