Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Freak4JC said:
Is it okay to listen to modern Christian music in the car, walkman, ect? :)

G~d bless, Freak4JC

Well, I guess it depends. I would not advise listening to "buddy Jesus" type praise music, just because it may cause you to have a wrong attitude toward our Lord. However--and I know there are some here who differ with me on this--I have found much to value in contemporary Christian music. My favorites are Caedmon's Call, Sixpence None the Richer, and Nichole Nordeman. CC and SNTR, in particular, have an Orthdox sensibility about them that I find appealing.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Re: Rich Mullins

...especially A Liturgy, A Legacy & A Ragamuffin Band. You can really tell that he was working through his thoughts on Traditional Christianity with songs like Creed and Peace (a Communion blessing).

Though we're strangers, still I love you
I love you more than your mask
And you know you have to trust this to be true
And I know that's much to ask
But lay down your fears, come and join this feast
He has called us here, you and me

And may peace rain down from Heaven
Like little pieces of the sky
Little keepers of the promise
Falling on these souls
This drought has dried
In His Blood and in His Body
In the Bread and in this Wine
Peace to you
Peace of Christ to you

God bless and remember him.

M.

Upvote 0

Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Monica said:
Re: Rich Mullins

...especially A Liturgy, A Legacy & A Ragamuffin Band. You can really tell that he was working through his thoughts on Traditional Christianity with songs like Creed and Peace (a Communion blessing).
"Hold Me Jesus" and "If I Stand" are two of my favorites. :)

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rich Mullins is the only CCM I can stand. Most of it is bad music with lousy theology.

Rich was incredibly close to converting to Catholicism when he died. Of course, the superfundies said maybe that was why God took him home. :mad: .... and I'm ashamed to say I bought into (at that point in my life) too...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yiannis550

Jun 27, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
✟7,825.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't really like Christian music other than the Russian and Greek style chanting that we have in Church. I find other stuff too childish and over simplified. I enjoy listening the Choir of the Vatopedi Father's in the Holly mountain singing the paraklisis to the Theotokos, or the Simonopetra Fathers singing the Matins. I have their CDs. I asked my spiritual father if it OK to listen to it while doing other things like cleaning the house or walking on the street. He told me it is alrite as long as I also do it while I listen to it carefully from time to time especially during the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anonykat said:
Rich was incredibly close to converting to Catholicism when he died. Of course, the superfundies said maybe that was why God took him home. :mad: .... and I'm ashamed to say I bought into (at that point in my life) too...

Yeah, I read that he had planned to make his first Holy Confession a couple of days after the day he ended up in the accident. The priest that was guiding his conversion said he developed an intense desire for the Eucharist in the months before he died.

I really like Rich Mullins. His music helped me a lot when I was coming out of Islam into Christianity.

M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't wait till our Peter Jon Gillquist CD gets here. We ordered Lands Unknown because my wife and I have both fallen in love with his song O' Jerusalem. Listen to the sample, it's the whole song. I'd like to get some of Kerygma's music too.

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A lot of contemporary stuff makes my stomach turn, and I feel that even though their intent is to praise God, they insult Him with their idiotic and disrespectful lryics. A lot of it makes God seem like our equal, and seeks to take away from His majesty and glory. Gimme some Russian or Gregorian chant and I'll be just fine thanks.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like CCM and listen to it often, especially in the car. However, I can no longer listen to the "talk" related material that the local Christian station has. As far as the music, I like listening to music in the car and CCM music is MUCH closer to my beliefs than Country or Rock, etc.

My priest is not a big fan of CCM and speaks against it on a fairly frequent basis. When I spoke to him once individually he expressed concern that some of the songs do not fit the theology of the the Orthodox church and he doesn't like people to get confused. He gave me a CD of Orthodox music to listen to in the car. Honestly, I like singing in church, but I don't really like just listening to liturgical music. While I was a catachumen, I listened to classical music in the car and didn't listen to music at home.

Now that I am in the church I have started listening to CCM again and when the words don't match my theology I turn it down or off for a few minutes or "tune it out" mentally.

I also love Rich Mullins! Right now they frequently play a Michael W. Smith song entitled "Have Mercy" which I really like.

I don't think it is necessary to throw the baby out with the bathwater. (Just my humble opinion.)

As always, seek the advise of your spiritual director (Priest) on even such mundane things as what to listen to. This is not such a trivial issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.