Is it okay for a Christian to go clubbing?

joelkaziro

Dec 16, 2006
Hornchurch, UK
✟7,969.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I went to celebrate a friend's birthday last Saturday and we all went to a bar/club. The club was fine at first and the music was cool. We were all having a good time until it got a bit raucous later on. I came back from the toilet and all the sudden around 1:00am people were high, the drunk guys kept coming onto the girls I was with (it was me and 6 other girls - all friends of mine [don't want anyone thinking I'm some kind of pimp]) and just that general atmosphere of having a good time had escalated to the point of "Let's get as smashed as we can and live it up because that's what it's all about."

It's that notion of clubbing which I hate. That's why it's not only clubbing that's affected, but things like pubs and bars as well. People have this idea that getting drunk or smoking just enough cannabis to let them forget their problems...is okay and this idea is widely accepted (oh by many Chrisitans too). It's those kind of clubs I don't like so I after that I felt a bit awkward coz the spirit was starting to tell me to get out of there so I just went to my car outside and talked to a few mates on the phone.

All is not lost. There are many clubs where normal, decent people go to have a good time, Christians and non-Christians alike. Just have a drink or two but not to 'get high or smashed'. It's those kind of clubs I feel comfortable in. I just had to pray and God ministered to me.

I know God Will do the same for anyone who seeks an answer.

"Seek and you will find." Luke 11:9

Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The biggest trauma I had last year was going camping with a girl friend of my church, her sister, and a few of her friends. When night came, I learned that we were going to go to the town. She was drinking and got drunk. Seeing her like that made what should have been an awsome weekend into a horrible shock.

Going to clubs is one thing. Drinking for drinking's sake is a totaly different thing.

Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't think going 2 a club is the best choice to make. I have never been to a club. I think going to a club is too much temptation because of the environment. With non christian friends it can lead to trouble. Maybe it would be okay to go to a club with non christian friends if you are a mature christian and you don't make a habit out of it. I doubt your intention is to minister to people but to have a fun time. You should go somewhere less tempting.

Upvote 0

missygirl852000

Oct 12, 2003
Maple heights, Ohio
✟15,310.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I really don't think that going to clubs are okay. Because they would led me away from Christ and give into the devil. And there's a lot of drinking and silliness going on. I don't feel to comfortable in going and I don't want to give in doing sin.

Upvote 0

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello guys,

some of my non-christian friends ask me to go clubbing next weekend. I have never been to a club before. I just want to go to check it out and accompany with my friends. Is club a good place for Christians to hang out? I think we are going to the biggest club in town, so it 's probably your typical club. So, is it okay to go? Thanks!
It's not necessary a "good thing," but it's a social thing. I used to go clubbing back in my days, but it got boring.

Upvote 0

Ivan916

Feb 12, 2007
NorCal
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with most the the suggestions. I had the same dilemna too. I believe clubs are ok but it is not a very "clean" place. There are a lot of temptations, did you notice what the women there are wearing or not?

A good yard stick is if you are comfortable with it in the sense that can you control yourself and not sin. Some people are more resilient than others. How did it go btw?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, let me pose this question to the followers:

Do you feel that there are clubs where a Christian can go and have a good night out, without compromising their beliefs or being subject to temptation?

:scratch:
It doesn't matter what club you go to. Any clubs you go can be fun. The only thing you have to worry is whether you want to drink and etc...

As long as you're sober, you'll survive.
God did not command: "Thou shall not club."

you can talk to people and dance and go home. It's really about self control.

Upvote 0

joelkaziro

Dec 16, 2006
Hornchurch, UK
✟7,969.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Fair point, you could think about clubbing that way but think about it.
1.) When you dance, what music are you dancing to? I think there's lots of fine secular music that a Chrisitan can 'get down' to (haha). But of course there's music at clubs that isn't acceptable - to me anyway. I'm not saying that I've never done it, I'm just sayin now I think about what I'm dancing to.
2.) The general crowd that goes, what's it like? Of course there's going to be a few people that drink too much or start fights or love to light up, etc but what is the crowd like? Are they all about getting smashed, are they just there to chill? There's clubs with beds in them - and those beds are there for a reason. Most Underground clubs in London (where I am) are full of normal people, that just love drugs (E, Cannabis and Cocaine) - of course anywhere you go, this will happen but is it a major thing at the clubs you're going to.

Clubbing is not bad - it's what comes with it so all I'm saying is as CHristians, you should definatlely think about the type of clubs you go to.

Upvote 0

koban4max

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2005
✟3,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fair point, you could think about clubbing that way but think about it.
1.) When you dance, what music are you dancing to? I think there's lots of fine secular music that a Chrisitan can 'get down' to (haha). But of course there's music at clubs that isn't acceptable - to me anyway. I'm not saying that I've never done it, I'm just sayin now I think about what I'm dancing to.
2.) The general crowd that goes, what's it like? Of course there's going to be a few people that drink too much or start fights or love to light up, etc but what is the crowd like? Are they all about getting smashed, are they just there to chill? There's clubs with beds in them - and those beds are there for a reason. Most Underground clubs in London (where I am) are full of normal people, that just love drugs (E, Cannabis and Cocaine) - of course anywhere you go, this will happen but is it a major thing at the clubs you're going to.

Clubbing is not bad - it's what comes with it so all I'm saying is as CHristians, you should definatlely think about the type of clubs you go to.

Fair enough. I know what you're saying. You don't want christians to be influenced by it.

You know, nothing in this world is perfect. I'm christian and love rap music. I love those type of music because it keeps me going. I guess you have different background so I can understand that. But ya know, it's life, we all will go through trouble and experience it eventually. The reason why I loved going to club was because I get to chat with different people and be open about it. My communication skill and social skill gets better. It gives me confidence to talk to girls and all that.

I'm not from London, but I believe you when you said there are beds there. I don't know what's really going on there. However, don't limit yourself to explore life.
That's life.:thumbsup: I don't mean you should do anything stupid, but just explore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BoarderDave

SoCal Beachaholic
Jan 16, 2007
Southern California!
Visit site
✟27,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing wrong with it if you're responsible. You know what sin is. You know what is not right to do. Go to a club to dance, have a great time, be with friends.. you are all good. Do immoral things while being there or let it get you into bad things.. and it's a different story.

Upvote 0

Ivan916

Feb 12, 2007
NorCal
✟7,640.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you feel that there are clubs where a Christian can go and have a good night out, without compromising their beliefs or being subject to temptation?

There are Christian night clubs, at least here in the US, that plays Christian music only. Check this article out
msnbc.msn.com/id/4710900
(Sorry guys, you will need to copy paste in your browser)
I have not been to one because there are none in my area. I think it is a good contemporary place to hang out and have fun though.
In terms of temptation, I believe it is everywhere even on Christian settings. It just depends on the person. Some people are more vulnerable to some than others if I am making sense.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Absolutely. People who feel as though nightclubs contain an elevated level of sin, as opposed to other environments are totally forgetting that temptations (and sin) exist all around us, 24/7. It may not be sexual temptations or sins of drunkeness that surround us constantly, but what is the difference? Sin is sin. If one is surrounded by gossipers (slanderers) in a situation they cannot control (like work or school) and cannot learn to separate themselves from that behavior while not separating themselves from the person...well, I don't know. Sometimes, we are called upon to utilize the strength we've been afforded...and if we cannot, we must acquiese to the fact that we may just have to give up going to places or hanging around with people who challenge us to stand firm in our beliefs.

My general thought is: If we cannot make a difference -be the difference- in our surroundings no matter where they be, we should never leave our apartments.

It is true that sometimes, we are not as strong as we need to be...but how else do we learn to be strong in our convictions until we reach the places where they are tested?

I've been to clubs where it is nothing but hands groping or spanking, grinding and guys (and girls) looking to hook-up. I've gone to those same clubs on different nights and had a decent time dancing with my friends and meeting new people. It's a crapshoot; sometimes, you can go out and have a great time and not get hassled...and other times, you wonder why you ever wasted the gas money. But, that can happen anywhere.

Besides, I know of people who join bible studies to find hook-ups with other people. You just never know what other people's intentions are until you do.

Always be safe, be smart, be prepared and be strong...you should be fine.

If it is something you enjoy (like dancing or hanging out with your friends), have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

joelkaziro

Dec 16, 2006
Hornchurch, UK
✟7,969.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Absolutely. People who feel as though nightclubs contain an elevated level of sin, as opposed to other environments are totally forgetting that temptations (and sin) exist all around us, 24/7. It may not be sexual temptations or sins of drunkeness that surround us constantly, but what is the difference? Sin is sin.
Always be safe, be smart, be prepared and be strong...you should be fine.

If it is something you enjoy (like dancing or hanging out with your friends), have fun! :wave:

Preach, definately commend you on that point and I think a nightclub does contains an elevated level of sin but Im definately not saying that we shouldn't go clubbing at all because then why should we go to school, where there's gosspiers and sexual temptations and slanderers also? To say that there are tempters in clubs only would be foolish and unwise.

Upvote 0

joelkaziro

Dec 16, 2006
Hornchurch, UK
✟7,969.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Now take my last point and let me ask you:

Okay youv'e seen what the world has to offer but sometimes you just want to go out clubbing where the temptations aren't all around you, the scantilly clad dress is not there, the drunkeness is not there but still have a good night out, much like in school there's the gossipers, the slanderers and people that just do not sit well with your spirit but you have an outlet, a group of friends, a youth club or an after school activity where you can feel comfortable, you can put your guard down for a while.

Do you feel that there are clubs like that? Where you can go, really chill out, have a fun time - unbelievers and believers alike?

Upvote 0