Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is a pretty good new priest in the diocese, though not at my home parish. His homilies are strong for as young as he is. But he said something once at the beginning of one of his homilies and I thought to myself "Oh no, you did not just say that."

I don't know the exact words, but to paraphrase it, it was like "I'm going to keep this homily short so that you can go home and catch the game."

*sigh*

Susie~Q

John 3:16 God bless you.
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2011
South Island-New Zealand
✟271,990.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly don't see anything wrong with that. I have heard our priest back home say similar things. As long as most of their homilies are good and teaching, there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion. In Lousiville Kentucky, they even have a different time for the Saturday evening Mass during the Derby so everyone can see it. I wouldn't be too upset if I were you.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thru the years, I've heard (many) preachers say this sort of thing ...
not sure why, maybe just to relax folks abit.

Oftentimes, this kind of thing is said when a 'big' ('important') game is scheduled and the preacher knows that many are planning to watch it.

Maybe its alittle annoying to those of us that don't really care about the game ... lol ...
but as long as the preacher doesn't make a habit of this kind of thing, doesn't bother me too much.

Now, do I personally think a game should be more important than a sermon or service?
Nope.
But some folks do, so I understand why a preacher (or priest) might make such a comment.

Reactions: Susie~Q
Upvote 0