Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I could find someone I could be compatible with, it's hard to find someone who is not big into family and friends. I meet a lot of women who are excited grandmothers. They love hanging out with their grandkids and their kids. Especially if they are local. While that is completely normal and admirable, it would be hard enough for me to have one other person in my life without them coming with the rest of their family. I can't handle all that social interaction.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
God designed us for relationship. But sin and unpleasant circumstances make it difficult for some. Sometimes there are other impediments that make bonding hard. But I don’t think withdrawal is the answer.

You’re not alone and others feel the same. And they need to hear your voice. They need to know they’re not the only one. Because they’re definitely not.

Isolation is at an all-time high. Perhaps your feelings have a greater purpose. Maybe you’re meant to do what you’ve done today. Everyone wants to feel included. In a roundabout way you’re filling the gap. Keep it up.

Upvote 0

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God designed us for relationship. But sin and unpleasant circumstances make it difficult for some. Sometimes there are other impediments that make bonding hard. But I don’t think withdrawal is the answer.

You’re not alone and others feel the same. And they need to hear your voice. They need to know they’re not the only one. Because they’re definitely not.

Isolation is at an all-time high. Perhaps your feelings have a greater purpose. Maybe you’re meant to do what you’ve done today. Everyone wants to feel included. In a roundabout way you’re filling the gap. Keep it up.

Thanks. I try.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God's creation is a whole lot of variety.
When it comes to being social there is variety there are well. So I'm all for being who God created you to be. If it's to be a hermit then that is what you should be.
I like my along time for sure. But I personally am not a hermit as it's too interesting to see who people react to things.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

water of life

Aug 23, 2022
Winkler
✟27,216.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say yes, but I've been a social recluse my entire adult life. Frankly, I don't know anything else.

Over the years I've gotten quite comfortable with it. The downside as I see it is the more time you spend alone, the more time you want to spend alone. You eventually become dependent on it. Makes it difficult, if not impossible to break away.

One of the things I look forward to in Heaven is being free of those kinds of inhibitions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you bearing fruits? you can be a hermit but still try all you can to be fruitful for the Kingdom
You hit the nail on the head. We are all to bear fruit and usually that requires spending time with other people although there are many ways to bear fruit. There are many behind-the-scenes ministries, giving, online forums, and of course, prayer.

I am part-way into a great 2 volume work on church history and it's fascinating how popular it was in the 300s and 400s (and beyond in some cases) to go live in caves out in the deserts of Egypt or other places. Some totally alone while others in like-minded communities. This is what developed into monasticism. Some of the greatest early church fathers preferred the monastic life but felt compelled into larger roles requiring them to lead churches or be over several churches in a major city. They also participated in the great councils of that era. There were also female monastic communities that probably were the forerunners to nuns.

For some reason, that lifestyle was particularly popular in those days. Most just wanted time to grow close to God without all the distractions of marriage and city life. Often they had benefactors who provided them with food and other basics. Some of these cave dwellers did major works of translation or wrote volumes of important works. In time it got more organized and fewer struck off on their own with most joining orders. Benedict was the leader of one such order and his rules for monastic life were borrowed and copied by many other orders perhaps with some tweaks.

Today such orders are mostly associated with the Roman Catholic church and are less popular. While I prefer living alone I still stay active with other people. Not so much socially, but I help a lot of people. Not just financially, but by giving them rides, helping them move, donating things, etc. I am a professional photographer and often do free photoshoots for people and non-profits.I keep a theological blog and participate in forums. I used to teach extensively but that was before two divorces which tend to limit opportunities in most churches. Even though both had good grounds it just doesn't lend itself to being considered "above reproach." Especially as my gift is in teaching adults and more heady stuff. It seems if you have a heartbeat they will use you in children's Sunday school classes but if you want to teach adults you have to be an elder or staff or really be well known and respected and blemishes like divorce can be a real barrier.

I have a brother who went to seminary in his mid-40s and got an MDIV. He never quit his high-paying tech management job and finished out that career. He tried starting his own church but that lasted less than 2 years. Now he helps out at a church his daughter goes to. I am not sure if he is an elder. He teaches a Sunday night home study and sometimes fills in for the pastor behind the pulpit if the pastor is sick or traveling. I kind of chuckle because he insists on being called a pastor and his email and social media accounts are all "Pastor BillV." In his case, he was ordained by the seminary so considers himself a pastor for life. He takes a very hard line on what churches should do versus what individual ministries should do. He tends to frown on para-church organizations saying those ministries should be done by the church. I'm sure he would consider me unqualified to be writing theological blogs and not doing so apart from church oversight would be a sin. I put myself through an MDIV program but mostly on my own. I took a few classes from a seminary but mostly read all the same books, wrote papers, published online, and such but I don't have a degree to hang on my wall and have never been ordained. Personally, I don't care. Books and seminaries, while of value, are not nearly as important as your faith, your heart, and your closeness to God. My brother is very cold if you cross him. I have never seen someone so quick to suggest church discipline. He tried to get our old church to put me under church discipline for moving saying my broken marriage required my staying put where we (my wife and I) could receive their counsel and be held accountable by them. He eventually backed down but warned "I will be watching!" Indeed he does. He stalks me on social media and even my photographs. He once told me God appointed him to hold me accountable. Matthew 18 says "If you see your brother in sin..." go to him. It doesn't say "Spy on your brother and leave no rock unturned until you find sin..." He needs to heed his own advice. He loves to do personal and marriage counseling thinking himself gifted in that area. He said that he will never marriage counsel a couple beyond six meetings. That is enough time, he said, to determine what the sin issues are, illuminate them with Scripture, and then they either repent or they don't! Simple! He said a favorite exercise is to ask the couple to spend one minute noticing everything colored blue in the room. He then asks them to close their eyes. They are expecting him to ask them to recall as many blue things as they can. Instead, he asks them to recall anything colored red. Naturally, they protest saying "you asked us to remember all the blue things. We weren't focused on the red!" His moral analogy is that if you only look for the bad in each other after a while that is all you will see and neglect to see the good things. Good advice. Except he doesn't follow it when it comes to others, especially siblings. He puts us under the microscope and only looks for the bad then assumes moral superiority and authority because "I'm a pastor!" We are expected to bow to his authority and submit to his counsel and be totally transparent with him so he can verify our repentance (on our real or perceived sins...usually more assumed).

Thankfully not all pastors or elders are like my brother but such attitudes make it hard to get along with the local body. Church leaders are still sinners and imperfect like the rest of us. We are still commanded to fellowship and submit but we have to do so with a grain of salt. I have had to leave churches in the past due to bad and even heretical doctrine. I have seen spiritual pups made elders because of family connections to the pastor and proceed to have it go to their heads and create a monster. One such elder lectured me on my lowliness and that teaching should be done by the elders. I was far more mature and knowledgeable than him but I was not an elder...

Maybe that's why all those early Christians ran to the caves to live! Life is messy. The church is messy but we're all in the mess together and we can help each other. I spend more time alone than most but I strive for a balance and find ways to make a difference. I am sure, not perfect but I am constantly taking stalk of my life and asking what more I can do. Maybe with a different childhood, I could have been a pastor or seminary professor but my life did not go that direction and now with two divorces and my age such callings are pretty much out of the question. We all have different gifts and I think recluses have a purpose. We just each need to seek how the Lord would have us serve even if it's not in a mainstream way. In the end, we want to hear "Well done good and faithful servant. Come and enter into the rest I have prepared for you." That's my hope and prayer. My life hasn't gone the way I would have planned or even wanted but my life verse is Romans 8:28, "God causes all things to work together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." As much as I would love a do-over, I wouldn't accept one (were such a thing possible) if it meant I would lose the spiritual growth those hardships molded in me. If I would be any less loving, less kind, less caring, less sympathetic or empathetic, or have less faith and dependence on the Lord, then I would not want it. Many things happened that were beyond my control and the sin of others but I trust God is "causing all things to work together for good" and I have seen it. Those things led me to be more of a hermit but I seek God every day to use that for good. Maybe He will change me or maybe I will stay this way. As long as it's His plan I am all for it. :)

Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I quit attending church in person and now attend online. I live 15 minutes from the church but when I did go I would arrive just before it started, sit in the back row, and leave just before the closing prayer. If I did stick around afterward, I never really spoke to anyone. Even if I said hi, no conversations took place. A single guy just does not draw attention. I have no family at church and I have no local friends so I am alone. I get just as much out of attending online as I do attending in person.

That is interesting. I have the same issues when I had attended church in the past too and that's with my parents. Especially if you are looking for a lady to talk with. Without any fellowship, what's the point? You might as well watch it online, especially with the tech they have these days.

Not UrAvgGuy said:
My sister exhorts me regularly to go to church and get involved. I've tried to explain to her how I am but she just doesn't get it and I understand. If you're not this way, how could you?

Having a sister (ie female within the same age range that you grew up with) has not helped you?
I'm an only child and thought if I had a sister I'd have some baseline social comfort with dealing with women, but I guess after hearing your account, it doesn't sound like it works that way.

NotUrAvgGuy said:
Am I wrong to keep to myself so much? Should I be forcing myself to hang out with people at church?

You just said people in church don't want to have conversations with you and that single guys don't get much attention inside a church. What do you have to work with to even "force yourself" and make it worst than it is right now?

NotUrAvgGuy said:
I don't like groups or group activities. I am just an introvert and solitary person. I try to let my light shine but it's not in the traditional ways. Yes, I have been to counseling. Years of it. Nothing has changed. This started when I was a baby and circumstances shaped me this way. I definitely have Attachment Disorder. Not marriage material.

You just said you need a wife and family right? These things help you become more social rather than doing everything solo all the time.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You just said people in church don't want to have conversations with you and that single guys don't get much attention inside a church. What do you have to work with to even "force yourself" and make it worst than it is right now?

You just said you need a wife and family right? These things help you become more social rather than doing everything solo all the time.[/QUOTE]
I have no problem talking to women but I am not much of a talker. Most of what people talk about is not that important. It's not about solving problems or making big decisions so much as it's about social interaction. We want to connect with others so they are there when the big conversations do come around or we just need a listening ear. People like me tend to be more self-sufficient and find all the small talk draining.

I didn't spend much time with my siblings growing up. Our mom was an alcoholic and home life was stressful. We all scattered and spent very little time together. I never spent time with my siblings. It was like being an only child. I was also the youngest so my siblings were leaving home starting in the 6th grade. By sophomore year in high school they were gone most of the time.

I never said I want a wife and a family. Been there and done that although my marriage was even more stressful than my childhood and divorce caused me to miss many of their teen years.

I don't want children again. I barely hear from the onesI have. I am not very interested in remarriage either. I have lived alone for nearly 15 years now. I am not lonely and don't really see a reason to be married. I don't mind being single and celibate. I want to make a few friends, if I can, but I can't see living with someone and truly being partners. I would feel claustrophobic and she would not get enough emotional connection to really feel loved.

Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
YoI don't mind being single and celibate. I want to make a few friends, if I can, but I can't see living with someone and truly being partners. I would feel claustrophobic and she would not get enough emotional connection to really feel loved.

Most women feel loved if you provide for them so I wouldn't worry about that. If you can't provide then I don't think they care about the "emotional connection" part. At least mine didn't, that is why I ended up divorced too.

But yeah, marriage can be stressful if you are broke and unemployed and have gigantic amount of debt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most women feel loved if you provide for them so I wouldn't worry about that. If you can't provide then I don't think they care about the "emotional connection" part. At least mine didn't, that is why I ended up divorced too.

But yeah, marriage can be stressful if you are broke and unemployed and have gigantic amount of debt.

I think it depends on the woman. If she is financially secure, I don't think providing for her will be enough. Nor should it be. Marriage should be about more than financial support even though that is sometimes the reality.

I am financially secure with no debt. That hasn't helped me in the past. I find myself questioning why I would want a wife. Nothing against marriage or women. The number one reason people my age want to be married is for companionship. They want someone to talk to, to share life with. There is also the peace of mind having a man by their side. Women, sadly, have much to fear for their physical safety. One single female friend said women want two things: someone to sleep next to and someone to share meals with. I don't know about that but that's her perspective.

The bottom line is that I am not lonely and hurting for companionship. I am very self-sufficient. Most of the things I enjoy doing, I enjoy doing alone. I have lots of hobbies and interests. I don't need a lot of conversation. That doesn't leave a reason to be married. I know it's unusual to be like me. I am not alone but we are a small minority. I have lived alone for 15 years. It would be a long, slow process to test my ability to be around someone most of the time - if it's even possible. I think an ideal scenario would be to have a friendly woman living in a mother-in-law's quarters at my house. We could be friends and hang out yet have our own space when we need it. Not that I expect to ever find such a situation but it seems to be the most hopeful situation.

Upvote 0

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah Jesus said you would be comitting adultery if you remarry anyway so its one less sin to worry about.

There is the case of abandonment that happened to me. I know people will argue over that one and it's not my purpose here to justify my divorce or debate what the Biblical grounds for divorce are. If there are biblical grounds for divorce there are biblical grounds for remarriage.

This is obviously a tough one. Companionship and affection are primary needs. Even Paul wrote that it's "better to marry than to burn." We all acknowledge the difficulty of staying pure unless you are one of the handfuls of people who have the "gift of singleness." Are we all given this gift when we divorce? Do we cease to "burn?" Not in my experience. That's not to say God's grace can't keep you from sin but naturally, it is tough which is why very few divorced Christians remain single, and most weren't divorced due to adultery or abandonment. Some Christians treat divorce like it's an unpardonable sin. I don't know of any unpardonable sin except rejecting Christ. While I would not tell a divorced Christian it was ok to remarry (assuming it wasn't one of those two cases), I would not judge them either. I believe God can forgive them.

What I find concerning is the number of Christian women I have met who swear they will never marry again but would live with a man. I had one woman I dated say she would stand in front of witnesses and swear to stay with me "'till death do us part" but would not sign a marriage license. Legal marriage quickly becomes "just a piece of paper." Yet marriage is meant to be a public commitment and witness. It should be performed by the church and it should be in keeping with the local laws. I don't know of any churches that will marry a couple who won't get a marriage license. To the world it sends the message that as Christians we don't have faith in marriage and want to leave ourselves an easier out. I'm sure there are just as many Christian men who feel this way.

The other thing I find concerning is the near abandonment of saving sex for marriage. We justify ourselves by saying it is too difficult, and unrealistic, you'll never find a partner if you insist on that, and it's important to find out if you're sexually compatible. Really? Since when is sexual fulfillment such a critical component that can't be discussed and made to work? If an absolutely fulfilling sex life is a requirement for a good marriage, we have some issues. Like everything else in marriage, it should be an area of communication and accommodation. It can be discussed before marriage but does it need to be practiced? To many, intimacy is required to fall in love. Me thinks we have made too much of sex.

I was a rarity. I waited until I was 30 and married to first have sex. I have no regrets. It taught me discipline and made me respect the context in which God ordained intimacy. I am grateful God is forgiving for we have made a mess of marriage. I am not exempt from that criticism.

Reactions: Juan777
Upvote 0

Juan777

Jun 20, 2022
Toronto
✟20,153.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
There is the case of abandonment that happened to me. I know people will argue over that one and it's not my purpose here to justify my divorce or debate what the Biblical grounds for divorce are. If there are biblical grounds for divorce there are biblical grounds for remarriage.

According to Jesus, there are no Biblical grounds for divorce, including adultery. The Gentile church made that up but that is not the original intent. You see, when Jesus said except for, He was talking about the bethrowal ceremony that is performed by Jews, not Gentiles, and it was referenced in the book of Matthew which is also intended for a Jewish audience.

When Jesus actually addresses Gentiles on the issue Luke 16) He does not mention adultery as an exception for a divorce. This is because Luke was intended for a Greek audience (ie which we can identify with as Gentiles), and you'll notice "except for fornication, etc.." was not mentioned there.

My argument is there is no biblical grounds for divorce at all. If you were married (except for me of course because I'm like incel so I'm in denial that I got married in the first place because that would require me to adjust my beliefs that women like me which I currently don't believe that and think its a false memory now so I can blissfully excuse myself from this argument, but not sure if Jesus would buy that though) then you remain married to your ex-spouse in the eyes of God and any re-marriage with any other woman constitutes adultery.

NorUrAvgGuy said:
This is obviously a tough one. Companionship and affection are primary needs. Even Paul wrote that it's "better to marry than to burn." We all acknowledge the difficulty of staying pure unless you are one of the handfuls of people who have the "gift of singleness." Are we all given this gift when we divorce? Do we cease to "burn?" Not in my experience. That's not to say God's grace can't keep you from sin but naturally, it is tough which is why very few divorced Christians remain single, and most weren't divorced due to adultery or abandonment. Some Christians treat divorce like it's an unpardonable sin. I don't know of any unpardonable sin except rejecting Christ. While I would not tell a divorced Christian it was ok to remarry (assuming it wasn't one of those two cases), I would not judge them either. I believe God can forgive them.

You have to go by what the word says. What Jesus says about it because we are followers of Christ.

NorUrAvgGuy said:
What I find concerning is the number of Christian women I have met who swear they will never marry again but would live with a man.

Right, but they are so-called Christians then because the Bible forbids that. By the way, it's not the religious act of re-marrying that makes adultery, it's sexual intimacy with another partner other than the ex-spouse. It's just that going through a re-marriage ceremony doesn't lessen the fact that its still adultery. They are also committing adultery on their ex-spouse.

NorUrAvgGuy said:
I had one woman I dated say she would stand in front of witnesses and swear to stay with me "'till death do us part" but would not sign a marriage license. Legal marriage quickly becomes "just a piece of paper." Yet marriage is meant to be a public commitment and witness. It should be performed by the church and it should be in keeping with the local laws. I don't know of any churches that will marry a couple who won't get a marriage license. To the world it sends the message that as Christians we don't have faith in marriage and want to leave ourselves an easier out. I'm sure there are just as many Christian men who feel this way.

You'll be able to get an annulment rather than a divorce, but even that would need a legal process.

I was married for 2 months and got divorced. When you have nonsense like my case, it's no wonder people think that way about marriage. The license is not worth the paper it's written on if you can just no-fault divorce at any time for any reason.

NorUrAvgGuy said:
The other thing I find concerning is the near abandonment of saving sex for marriage. We justify ourselves by saying it is too difficult, and unrealistic, you'll never find a partner if you insist on that, and it's important to find out if you're sexually compatible. Really? Since when is sexual fulfillment such a critical component that can't be discussed and made to work? If an absolutely fulfilling sex life is a requirement for a good marriage, we have some issues. Like everything else in marriage, it should be an area of communication and accommodation. It can be discussed before marriage but does it need to be practiced? To many, intimacy is required to fall in love. Me thinks we have made too much of sex.

If you need herbals or Viagara to get it up then it could be a deal-breaker to some women.

NorUrAvgGuy said:
I was a rarity. I waited until I was 30 and married to first have sex. I have no regrets. It taught me discipline and made me respect the context in which God ordained intimacy. I am grateful God is forgiving for we have made a mess of marriage. I am not exempt from that criticism.

With all of the garbage out there it's no wonder you don't want to re-marry.

Upvote 0

NotUrAvgGuy

Jul 19, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
✟67,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to Jesus, there are no Biblical grounds for divorce, including adultery. The Gentile church made that up but that is not the original intent. You see, when Jesus said except for, He was talking about the bethrowal ceremony that is performed by Jews, not Gentiles, and it was referenced in the book of Matthew which is also intended for a Jewish audience.

When Jesus actually addresses Gentiles on the issue Luke 16) He does not mention adultery as an exception for a divorce. This is because Luke was intended for a Greek audience (ie which we can identify with as Gentiles), and you'll notice "except for fornication, etc.." was not mentioned there.

My argument is there is no biblical grounds for divorce at all. If you were married (except for me of course because I'm like incel so I'm in denial that I got married in the first place because that would require me to adjust my beliefs that women like me which I currently don't believe that and think its a false memory now so I can blissfully excuse myself from this argument, but not sure if Jesus would buy that though) then you remain married to your ex-spouse in the eyes of God and any re-marriage with any other woman constitutes adultery.

You have to go by what the word says. What Jesus says about it because we are followers of Christ.

Right, but they are so-called Christians then because the Bible forbids that. By the way, it's not the religious act of re-marrying that makes adultery, it's sexual intimacy with another partner other than the ex-spouse. It's just that going through a re-marriage ceremony doesn't lessen the fact that its still adultery. They are also committing adultery on their ex-spouse.

You'll be able to get an annulment rather than a divorce, but even that would need a legal process.

I was married for 2 months and got divorced. When you have nonsense like my case, it's no wonder people think that way about marriage. The license is not worth the paper it's written on if you can just no-fault divorce at any time for any reason.

If you need herbals or Viagara to get it up then it could be a deal-breaker to some women.

With all of the garbage out there it's no wonder you don't want to re-marry.

It's not the "garbage out there." I just don't have a desire or see a reason. There is nothing about marriage I desire. None of the usual reasons apply.

Upvote 0