Is it common for people to join in worship songs and not really know what they sing?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit I am sure I have sung hymns in church from childhood and at times not had a clue of what I was singing or what it meant, even recently, was listening to some Hillsong worship, and thought what does that actually mean? So I looked it up. It is more the case with Hebrew words, such as Hosanna, Maranatha etc.

Take a song like Hosanna, In the highest

When people sing "Hosanna, Hosanna" what do they mean? Why "in the highest"?

Does knowledge / understanding of these terms come automatically with becoming a christian?

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to admit I am sure I have sung hymns in church from childhood and at times not had a clue of what I was singing or what it meant, even recently, was listening to some Hillsong worship, and thought what does that actually mean? So I looked it up. It is more the case with Hebrew words, such as Hosanna, Maranatha etc.

Take a song like Hosanna, In the highest

When people sing "Hosanna, Hosanna" what do they mean? Why "in the highest"?

Does knowledge / understanding of these terms come automatically with becoming a christian?
No; like Jeff said, they must be taught. It would be really cool if we could automatically understand and communicate in Aramaic on coming to Christ, though.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mod hat on
please be aware of the SOP of this forum:

Praise and Worship Music Forum Statement of Purpose

The Praise and Worship Music forum is for Christians to post videos, songs, and lyrics that glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, His name, the Father, and the Holy Spirit; and does not bring any of these into disrespect. This forum is for posting praise and worship music that honors our Lord and ministers to our hearts and our souls. This is a no debate forum. If you would like to share other genres of Christian music, please do so in the Christian Music forum.

Hat off.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0