Is it a sin to dont listen to your parents?

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hi is it a sin to dont do/listen to your parents like your parents say dont watch netflix in your bed but you still do it is this a sin?

A person should always listen to, and honor their parents. And when you are a child you are obligated to obey them, as long as it's not illegal, or, in contradiction to God's revealed word.

Once you are an Adult, as far as I'm concerned you still have to listen to them, however, It's now your decision as to whether or not you will take their advice.

I don't know your age, but if you are in high school, and, or, your parents are paying for the NETFLIX subscription, and they ask you not to watch in bed, then I think you should honor their request.

If it was me, I would wait a week then approach your parents and respectfully discuss it with them...you may still lose though, so be prepared.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi is it a sin to dont do/listen to your parents like your parents say dont watch netflix in your bed but you still do it is this a sin?

The commandment is to respect your parents. I don’t think it means that you must always do what ever they say. If you want to watch, I think good solution would be to discuss respectfully with them and ask why it is not ok to watch, or why you should watch.

I have understood that sin is to reject God or live apart from God. If you don’ reject God because of this matter, then I think you don’t have sin.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

The only time you do not listen to your parents is if they are telling to do or believe in something that is contrary to what the bible says. God always comes first.
Eph_6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conscience is our only authority (even when it's misinformed). You are free to disobey your parents if you can do so with a perfectly clear conscience. Your doubts suggest that you can't.

But your strategy - asking the question - is a good one because the advice given on this thread might help to educate a misinformed conscience.

If you are not an adult, I suspect your conscience is correctly reminding you to heed your parents. Many teenagers who shipwrecked their entire life would likely admit, in hindsight, that their tragic mistake was to disregard their parents.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,055,863.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi is it a sin to dont do/listen to your parents

It depends on how old you are, whether you are living in their house, and what they are telling you to do/not do.

like your parents say dont watch netflix in your bed but you still do it is this a sin?

It would be wise to obey. Doubtless they are saying that because watching films may stop you from getting to sleep and then you may not have the strength to cope with the next day.

But if it is your TV and/or your house, it's up to you.

Upvote 0