Sep 19, 2004
Spring TX formerly Beijing, China
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I ran into an amazing statement by an ID guy from the Discovery Institute on the ASA list. I then looked it up and it is true.

MARK RYLAND (DI): "... The Discovery Institute never set out to have a school board, schools, get into this issue. We've never encouraged people to do it, we've never promoted it. We have, unfortunately, gotten sucked into it, because we have a lot of expertise in the issue, that people are interested in.

When asked for our opinion, we always tell people: don't teach intelligent design. There's no curriculum developed for it, you're teachers are likely to be hostile towards it, I mean there's just all these good reasons why you should not to go down that path. If you want to do anything, you should teach the evidence for and against Darwin's theory. Teach it dialectically. http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/ne..._10_23_2005.asp

I am absolutely struck by the statement and what it says about ID. They claim they have a science, yet they haven't promoted it, haven't developed a curriculum for it and want people to avoid teaching it. I have never met a science with those characteristics. Indeed, most scientists WANT to tell others about their science because they find it interesting. But apparently DI wants to keep their science under that proverbial bushel basket.

Scientists throughout history have taken stands for their theories in spite of the hositility of the teachers and fellow scientists, but DI seems to think that teacher hostility is a reason not to stand for their views.

EvoDan

Sep 22, 2005
Auburn, California
✟16,193.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't be too "struck" about the statement: it's a bald-faced lie.

From later in the link you posted...
RICHARD THOMPSON (TMLC): They wrote a book, titled "Intelligent Design in Public School Science Curricula." The conclusion of that book was that, um:

"Moreover, as the previous discussion demonstrates, school boards have the authority to permit, and even encourage, teaching about design theory as an alternative to Darwinian evolution -- and this includes the use of textbooks such as Of Pandas and People that present evidence for the theory of intelligent design." ...and I could go further. But, you had Discovery Institute people actually encouraging the teaching of intelligent design in public school systems. Now, whether they wanted the school boards to teach intelligent design or mention it, certainly when you start putting it in writing, that writing does have consequences.

Upvote 0

Mr. QWERTY

Jul 21, 2005
✟8,605.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like propoganda that they may be putting out as a result of the thrashing ID is getting in Dover, PA.

The DI gets to distance themselves from a losing verdict by saying that they never meant to get involved in the first place.

I wonder when the paragraph you post was put on their site. Pre or post Dover?

Upvote 0
W

WanderingKnightOfEngland

Intelligent Design as a science...

Intelligent design is one of many anti-evolution theories; It asserts that intelligent causes are responsible for the origin of the universe and of life in all its diversity. Is this based on scientific fact? Well, advocates of Intelligent Design seem to maintain that their theory is scientific and provides empirical proof for the existence of God or superintelligent aliens.

They think that design is empirically detectable in nature and in living systems. They claim that intelligent design should be taught in the science classroom because it is an alternative to the scientific theory of natural selection. The defenders of Intelligent Design claim that they do not reject evolution simply because it does not fit with their understanding of the Bible... (cough, hack, cough)

They present natural selection as implying the universe could not have been designed or created, which is nonsense. To deny that God has the power to create living things using natural selection is to assert something unknowable. It is also inconsistent with the belief in an omnipotent Creator. But hell, if it was proved Intelligent Design didn't exist I'm sure they'd run behind the warm cloak of Evolution and assume God did that - because if they gave up their God, it would be a bit like dying, wouldn't it?

Knight

Upvote 0

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
grmorton said:
I ran into an amazing statement by an ID guy from the Discovery Institute on the ASA list. I then looked it up and it is true.

MARK RYLAND (DI): "... The Discovery Institute never set out to have a school board, schools, get into this issue. We've never encouraged people to do it, we've never promoted it. We have, unfortunately, gotten sucked into it, because we have a lot of expertise in the issue, that people are interested in.

The wedge document pretty much shows how much nonsence that statement is.

Ed

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
From the Wedge Document:

Phase II. Publicity and Opinion-making

* Book Publicity
* Opinion Maker Conferences
* Apologetics Seminars
* Teacher Training Program
* Op-ed Fellow
* PBS (or other TV) Co-production
* Publicity Materials/Publications

Phase III. Cultural Confrontation and Renewal

* Academic and Scientific Challenge Conferences
* Potential Legal Action for Teacher Training
* Research Fellowship Program: shift to social sciences and humanities

From the Phase III description:

...We will also pursue possible legal assistance in response to resistance to the integration of design theory into public school science curricula.

Yep. EvoDan is correct. Bald faced liars.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grmorton

Sep 19, 2004
Spring TX formerly Beijing, China
Visit site
✟16,783.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
EvoDan said:
I wouldn't be too "struck" about the statement: it's a bald-faced lie.

From later in the link you posted...

After some reflection I understand your point. However, if they are now saying that they don't want it taught, once again, I wonder what kind of science it really is for all the reasons I stated in my OP

Upvote 0