Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Dear Daily Message Readers,[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']READ: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']BIBLEGATEWAY LINK: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jonah 3;&version=47; [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Jonah 3:3-4 [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']“So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, three days' journey in breadth. 4 Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he called out, ‘Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!’”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It is a humbling responsibility to be called into the ministry. [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I am called of God, and there is a sense that I lose touch with reality—your reality. Sadly, it is a crime committed by all of us in the ministry. We will be quick to tell you how bad we have it and the burdens we must bear, but we don’t have a clue what is going on in your life. I can worship with a small group of believers where is everything is wonderful and great. Then we go to the prayer requests, and I listen to the turmoil that the lives of those around me truly are in that day.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']I realize that many of you may say as you read these devotions, “Darin, my life is falling apart…My kids don’t know me and I don’t know them…I can’t find a job…I have some much excess that I am miserable…I don’t love my wife anymore. Why the need for all the talk about God’s Law and grace?”[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The reason we have dwelled for so long on this point of the Law is you are really going through real life and these issues that must be dealt with. There must be instruction in the full counsel of the Word of God, for every problem you have is answered there. But it is not just building a group of smart people on wisdom or principles. It is, first and foremost, built upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ. [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Why, sir, must you love your wife? Because Christ has died![/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Why, ma’am, must you respect your husband? Because Christ has died![/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Why, student, must you obey your parents? Because Christ has died![/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']It is all based upon this Gospel of which the Law is a part. The apostles were constantly like a broken record in the vastly-persecuted lives of their churches, saying, “Remember the Gospel, the Gospel, the Gospel…” What we have talked about is not some abstract theological concept. [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']You must understand the Gospel and spend the rest of your life understanding that Gospel. You are only going to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ to the degree to which you understand what God has done in Jesus Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']As always, please know this ministry would find it an honor to pray for you or counsel you in God’s Word. Please let us know how we can serve you. At the same time, though, you must spend time in the presence of God studying and meditating upon the gift given in Son of God for His people. If you don’t, you will lose perspective on all the things going on in your life today.[/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Faith Lesson: [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Your magnificent obsession is to know, live, and proclaim Jesus Christ and Him crucified (Colossians 3:1-5). [/FONT]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In Christ,
Darin Smith[/FONT]