is HD really that big of a deal?

F

fuerein

I've got an HD set, had HD cable (too expensive) and now I've completely abandoned cable and I only watch live broadcast TV (including the local HD broadcast channels). I find the picture is better, but if you are unable to get a perfect signal, the tv will keep flicking between the program and a black "no signal" screen (VERY annoying). Further, even with the better picture, I'm just not impressed... I don't really care. And yes, for all those who LOVE HD I do have my tv setup properly for HD signals, that is not why I am not overly impressed. HD is just not impressive IMO.

Upvote 0

cat1

Lost and Nip Tuck Fan
May 21, 2005
England
✟12,352.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes HD is amazing i was in a Store that sells HD tv's and i looked up and seen this perfect picture of a scenery with a waterfall and WOW i had to stand back and just stare at the screen it was just so clean and clear it was amazing, so now we have a hd tv but we dont have sky HD so we cant really watch sky channels in HD plus its only 10 channels that are available and my parents will not pay for that but we can watch the freeview thats built in the tv in HD which is still good :)

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's incredible. We just recently got it and it's like day and night. The clarity is ridiculous!

It's such a scam though that you have to pay for the "HD" box and the HD channel package (at least I do w/DirecTV). I guess the cable/satelite companies will rack in as much money as they can while they can before HD becomes the norm and they can't charge for it anymore.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i wouldn't mind if there was an easy way to calibrate the screen colour, contrast and brightness and lookup table

(have you ever wondered why when you go into a store with x number of tv's all receiving the same signal, they are always slightly different - this is lack of calibration)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeathMagus

Stater of the Obvious
Jul 17, 2007
Right behind you.
✟20,194.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
i wouldn't mind if there was an easy way to calibrate the screen colour, contrast and brightness and lookup table

(have you ever wondered why when you go into a store with x number of tv's all receiving the same signal, they are always slightly different - this is lack of calibration)
's what bars and tones are for.

The reason I like HD is because we needed to get away from that ridiculous 720x480 resolution. Now I can actually connect my laptop to a TV and get decent resolution (though the laptop is still superior).

Upvote 0

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I guess if your a tv junkie it matters... me I'm a computer junkie and don't care that much about the tele.... in fact if the tv stopped working tommorow I wouldn't care..... the few shows I do watch get ripped in hd and put online anyways.... mostly by the production staff... one series by fans....so to me it's not that big a deal..... frankly I don't get the whole "be there in your underwear" deal anyways..... why would you want to?

Oh for those who complain about the cable and satilite companies charing for the HD Packages.... they have to pay extra to carry those for a few costumers per region that get them... if they have to pay extra then they need to charge extra to share them... otherwise they lose money in the deal... and charing the ones that get the service and not those that don't makes good business better... better than a flat bill increase wither or not you use the service right? cause they'd have to do that if they can't do the former... It's a Capitalist Society, It's their right to charge for a service and your to pay the charge or deny the program.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jms1989

Dec 19, 2007
Visit site
✟15,403.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like HD because it make things look more real. Just like with HD, you have to experience it to really make the decision to transition from the non-HD programing. I've finally decided to forget movies made for the standard TVs and buy only movies in the widescreen format, unless, that is, it's available in the format but as more and more movies are filmed in widescreen, I can seen standard films becoming hard to find and standard TVs obsolete. I've even become to hate or dislike the tube-based TVs and computer monitors even though I have them and I want to get rid of them but we just don't have the money to do so.

I'm not even sure if my parents even know the difference between widescreen and standard and HD and standard definition.

Upvote 0