is having a cross necklace okay or does it apply to Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's perfectly fine. I've seen a few threads from you now where you seem to worry about things you're doing being wrong. I don't think any of them are, so this is a blanket reply to cover it all. So long as you are keeping your heart focused on serving God, you're fine. Clearly you care a whole lot on account of how you keep asking if what you're doing is alright, so God knows that you're trying to please Him.

• Friendly
Reactions: KateforChrist
Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,429.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's perfectly fine. I've seen a few threads from you now where you seem to worry about things you're doing being wrong. I don't think any of them
Lots of opinions. (for decades or even centuries.)(on forums, threads, posts, in churches, many countries, many peoples, etc etc etc )

The Bible Says clearly that
Whatever is not of faith is sin. (either way)
so its alright then its got bible verses on it and the second is a sheild of faith with a verse joshua 1;9b

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
any opinions
As long as the Cross reminds you of what Lord Jesus has done for you, fine. If it is something that is like a charm or an amulet of protection, no. It's not so much the object in this case, but what it represents.

• Agree
Reactions: KateforChrist
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,044.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
any opinions

If it weighs on your conscience to wear it, regardless of whether your heart is truly idolizing the image itself and not the One it represents (and of course I doubt it is the former case), then I simply wouldn't do it. Leave it to me to never remember the book and verse offhand, but I do believe there is some talk somewhere in the Epistles about what may be acceptable for one believer is not for another believer if it goes against the latter's personal conscience. If the latter brother does it anyway when he is unsure or uncomfortable, that violation of mind is actually the sinful thing, not necessarily the act that he was questioning.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
any opinions

The cross is a holy and sacred symbol of our faith, because our Lord Jesus was nailed upon a cross to die for the sins of the world.

No, it does not violate God's command against making graven images; because that's a command against making and worshiping idols.

Symbols and sacred images (i.e. Icons) are not idols.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,429.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A cross is fine. Just don't trust it to be some sort of talisman. I found that I was doing that at a point in my life when my faith was weak. Conveniently, it had been misplaced. This forced me to actually trust God.
what do you mean by tailsman

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,429.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ah no im getting it as a symbol to show i belong to christ when i ever i struggle with my ocd the necklace of the gold shield o faith has a verse of joshua 1;9 which will help e and the gold cross necklace has different verses on it so it will good to remember it

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ah no im getting it as a symbol to show i belong to christ when i ever i struggle with my ocd the necklace of the gold shield o faith has a verse of joshua 1;9 which will help e and the gold cross necklace has different verses on it so it will good to remember it
You can even get cross ear studs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums