Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You won't hear a peep out of me. I'm 100% for divorce in the case of abusive marriages. But no one can seem to answer if it is ok to remarry when the bible forbids it. All everyone can say is that the blood of Christ washes all sins but even when you knowingly sin????

The bible does not forbid remarrying. Jesus addressed a liberal school regarding divorce and pulled them up on their over lax standards by reminding them of God's intentions for marriage. For such people their lax standards and their 'legally' sanctioned divorces were virtually identical to adultery.

There is a cultural background to the divorce issue that until more recently has not been recognised, but is well established by evangelical and pentecostal scholars

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Mickey1953

Senior Veteran
Sep 14, 2006
✟20,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Life2Christ... It is so hard to put in one paragraph the love of the Lord....

Critical 3, My story may be different, but my husband was saved. He had been married for 10 years. I won't post his story on the discussion board, but I know he would not mind me sharing through personal message if someone truly felt they needed to hear his story.

Of anything I know God is bigger than my mind and heart can hold. He looks at our hearts, the essence of our being. He alone truly knows. For those who need to be reassured, ask Him even if someone says, the answer is already there. Spend time with the Lord. If a personal prayer partner is needed and someone would like me to pray with them, I would be happy to.

Upvote 0

critical3

Jan 13, 2010
✟15,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Life2Christ... It is so hard to put in one paragraph the love of the Lord....

Critical 3, My story may be different, but my husband was saved. He had been married for 10 years. I won't post his story on the discussion board, but I know he would not mind me sharing through personal message if someone truly felt they needed to hear his story.

Of anything I know God is bigger than my mind and heart can hold. He looks at our hearts, the essence of our being. He alone truly knows. For those who need to be reassured, ask Him even if someone says, the answer is already there. Spend time with the Lord. If a personal prayer partner is needed and someone would like me to pray with them, I would be happy to.

did i read over that? if so sorry lol.. but yet IMO its still a different story/scenario..

i still go back to my first post.. many marriages dont last and things happen because people arent in Gods will in the first place.. you will only find true/happiness/love/peace if you are walking on the path he has prescribed for your life.. Takes devotion, patience, and a lot of growing to seek out what God wants for your life and where he wants you to be. and the latter that i wrote sounds exactly what you did, seek out Gods will for your life.. unless a marriage is built upon the Rock, its going to crumble :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, thank you very much. Oh yeah I love to suffer. I would sooo rather suffer than be happy. I should just use the Bible as a door stopper?

I'm sorry you're hurting, but that is something you have to take to God, not take out on everyone else. I never said people who are the victim of divorce want to suffer, rather they are suffering and may subconciously want others to be unhappy with them. That's human nature. Nobody wants to be unhappy and see everyone around them happy - especially when one of the one person who wounded them so deeply is off having a gay 'ol time without them.

By the way I do not, and have not condemned others for remarrying. I merely want 100% assurance that I can remarry but no one can seem to give me that.

It's not our job (or anyone else's) to give you that assurance. You're only as stuck in your unhappiness as you allow yourself to be. Only God can guide you in this matter, but God cannot work in your heart while it's filled with so much despair you won't let go of.

I'm reminded of this poem. It helps me in times where I'm too filled with one emotion or another to let God do any work in my heart or mind:

As Children Bring Their Broken Toys
With Tears For Us To Mend

I Brought My Broken Dreams To God,
Because He Is My Friend

But Then Instead Of Leaving Him
In Peace To Work Alone,

I Hung Around And Tried To Help,
With Ways That Were My Own

At Last, I Snatched Them Back Again
And Cried, "How Can You Be So Slow?"

"My Child" He Said, "What Could I Do?
You Never Did Let Go!"

Upvote 0

critical3

Jan 13, 2010
✟15,334.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, thank you very much. Oh yeah I love to suffer. I would sooo rather suffer than be happy. I should just use the Bible as a door stopper?

paul took pleasure in suffering..

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 (King James Version)

9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the NT: Jesus said fornication is grounds for divorce. Most scholars agree that this was fornication during the marriage. And what if a guy back then had sex during the betrothal period but the woman didn't find out about it until after they were married? Could she divorce him then? Please do some studying on this matter before you speak so dogmatically.

Also, Jesus was responding to Jews who were in a culture conflict at the time. Some believed divorce was okay for any reason; others believed divorce was okay only for adultery during the marriage. Jesus took the latter stance.

However, the Jews allowed divorce for abuse, abandonment, or lack of provision from the husband. Remarriage was okay in these cases too. Jesus did not address these valid reasons for divorce. He was in the above scriptures only taking the latter stance on adultery and divorce.

In 1 Cor. we see that divorce and remarriage is okay if the unbeliever departs.

You who are about to divorce you partner are legalistic and in error. You are married and to divorce now is sin. You are also publishing doctrine on marriage and divorce which is error and will be used by Satan to condemn others. Repent of that.

God is merciful.

He tells us we are to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. Say your husband repeatedly cheats on you and won't repent. Leaving him is loving yourself. Some divorces are God's will! Staying in a marriage where you are abused is not loving yourself either. I hate divorce but marriage was made for man, not man for marriage. Some hold marriage as the idol above humans' hearts.

Last, the Holy Spirit should be directing you. Perhaps read David Instone Brewer's book and pray in tongues. I feel you are in your mind and legalism.

Of course, if there has been no adultery or abuse, etc., and both are Christians, there should be no divorce. If there is, that is sin.

Upvote 0
May 18, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Elishiva: what you say is the Holy Spirit is a spirit of legalism. How long have you been saved? Have you fasted and prayed over this matter? Have you sought godly counsel?

You are trying hard to be holy but Jesus has done that for you.

Why did both of you divorce in the first place? And have your previous spouses remarried? I'm sure if they haven't they've had sex with someone else.

Joyce Meyer was married once before Dave. Her first husband deserted her and then went to prison. She divorced him. Remarried.

I think Satan is messing with you.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Divorce & remarriage is sin. However, there might just be a time & a place for them if need be. I mean, I don't recommend divorce or marriage for anybody. However, situations may permit or allow for them. That is still no excuse. It is still sin. My parents divorced after 28 years of marriage. My dad is an alcoholic & hates God (isn't saved). He can be tough to deal with at times. My mother first got a restraining order put onto my dad, then divorced & remarried in 2008. I don't like divorce or remarriage, but sometimes it happens. I don't want to ever do it myself. You may have to under certain situations. Your spouse might be cheating on you & might be unwilling to change. However, it is tough to know when to give up on marriage. God never gives up on us (His bride). So, why would we ever want to give up on a spouse? My mother didn't give up on my dad for 28 years until they finally divorced.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chris4243

Advocate of Truth
Mar 6, 2011
✟2,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think divorce for the sake of divorce is a sin. If your spouse cheats on you, then I think it's ok to divorce.

But "it just isn't working out!" is nonsense. "Till death due us part".

About the bolded: what happened to "Till death do us part"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gerardeflow

Jan 28, 2012
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus did not say divorce and remarriage are a sin.

He said frivolous divorce and remarriage are sin.

Let's not twist things.

In love, I am curious where He said that we are able to remarry without sin after any type of divorce. When you marry another man's wife, that is adultery and I am pretty sure that adultery is sin.

Matthew 5:31-32, Matthew 19:9, Mark 10:12, Luke 16:18, 1 Corinthians 7:10-12, Romans 7:2-4 :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

gerardeflow

Jan 28, 2012
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So then you don't actually think that marriage is "Till death do us part"?

NO no no, I was implying that it is his choice. I am clear that marriage is till death do us part. I gave him scripture in order for him to know that I am not inventing these truths. Jesus is clear, remarriage is adultery.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
So then you don't actually think that marriage is "Till death do us part"?

You're clearly not understanding what I'm saying.

Till death due us part is the deal for when two people commit to a relationship. The only means of separation should be death, or if either or both participants cheat on each other or one another. It states that in the Bible. I don't make the decisions. :thumbsup:

Till death due us part means you don't just give up for no reason. If they make you mad, etc. Adultery is kind of a big deal.

Upvote 0