Is Cuddling a Sin? Can Christian Couples Cuddle Before Marriage?

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
Hey I was wondering what your thoughts are on a non married couple laying in bed and cuddling, but not falling asleep, when say one of them has a bad day or just wants to feel extra close and lovey with their partner.

I kind of feel it should not happen because if you are having a truly Christian relationship there should never be a time in which you are in bed together until marriage because that is a sacred place reserved for man and wife and it is too easy to fall into temptation there.

What are your thoughts?

If you don't want to have sex with your partner and you feel that certain situations would make you more prone to doing that, then that's probably not a good idea.

Of course I don't understand how people believe certain situations cause them problems in the first place.

Upvote 0

Dionne005

Sep 30, 2014
✟15,325.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hey I was wondering what your thoughts are on a non married couple laying in bed and cuddling, but not falling asleep, when say one of them has a bad day or just wants to feel extra close and lovey with their partner.

I kind of feel it should not happen because if you are having a truly Christian relationship there should never be a time in which you are in bed together until marriage because that is a sacred place reserved for man and wife and it is too easy to fall into temptation there.

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't do it if I was really serious about waiting for marriage. Why would someone put themselves in that position. And I'm 100% sure that the man is not handling it well either. But if you can handle yourself well you should question your attraction towards him. If you can lay there every day with a man and not feel tempted that's not a good thing in my opinion. He may as well be your brother.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There’s too many variables to give a definitive answer for others. Desirability isn’t the issue. Its control and the likelihood of acting on those urges that’s the problem.

Surrender is an important facet of our connection. Abstinence is a must because of our faith. But also in deference to the other. That means denying ourselves in difficult moments. But there’s the promise of what’s to come.

~Bella

Upvote 0

HumbleHouseOfGod

Jan 26, 2021
Huddersfield
✟7,701.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are your thoughts?

1 Corinthians 7:2 ESV
"But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband."

However...

Exodus 22:16 NIV
"If a man seduces a virgin who is not betrothed and lies with her, he shall give the bride-price for her and make her his wife."

I know that some versions of Exodus 22:16, such as NLT say: "anyone and has sex with her", so I think that it is truly up to your interpretation and whether the holy spirit gives you peace or not to lay with them...whether cuddle/watching a film/ sleeping clothed...
If you are really unsure ask Father God and if you still don't know, just cuddle sitting up (ON bed, on the sofa...it's really up to you)...

I believe
that it is right to comfort and be there spiritually and emotionally and to some extent physically for your partner and to be loving and close to one another... Sexual interaction for me personally, is for after marriage but as it says in Exodus 22:16 you can have sex before marriage but only if you make him/her your husband/wife afterwards and this is not a sin. However, if you don't marry afterwards it is fornication and adultery, so therefore a sin.

Also, I believe that a relationship with someone show only be started if you are willing to / want to spend the rest of you life with eachother...
I believe there are three/four stages of relationship:
1- Single
2- Starting to have feeling for someone. (Having a 'crush' on them)
Taking an interested in that person and wanting to get to know them.
3- Boyfriend/Girlfriend
You could be falling in love with his/ her characteristics/ personality/ physical appearance- because that is one of the first things we see and as humans we are drawn to what attracts us (this is not lustful). This when you want to pursue a life with them. You have to be honourable in your heart. This means that your intentions are to make a promise of marriage.
4- Engaged
This is when you promise him/her that you will marry them.
5- Married
This is when you make a covenant before God and witnesses. You make a declaration that you take him/her, to be lawfully wedded (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.
This is when you fully commit your self to your husband/wife

If you feel tempted (1 Corinthians 7:2 ESV) to become sexual toward your partner and you and your partner are no committed to one another as far as marriage or you just don't feel like it's right (yet), then you just need to be open with them about it, relationships are built of a foundation of love, trust and communication and with out, you may struggle... You need to tell you partner that you are struggling and that you need to but up some gentle boundaries in place for both of you (make sure that you partner is okay with that and agrees with you).

I hope I could help a bit, and that you find the answer that you where looking for.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
2- Starting to have feeling for someone. (Having a 'crush' on them)
Taking an interested in that person and wanting to get to know them.

That does not beget a relationship unless there’s reciprocity. Many express interest in the opposite sex who don’t return their feelings.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Emily Write

Jul 19, 2021
Texas
✟7,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't see why not, unless you have extreme sexual urges. My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and plan on cuddling, kissing, hugging, and holding hands when we met in person. But we don't experience sexual attraction (we met on dating site for people like that) and only feel for each other romantically, so I can't say how this would work for those who do experience sexual attraction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums