Is Confession to Elders Necessary for Forgiveness?

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Catholics practice regular confession to priests.
Do they feel unforgiven if they don't?
Should they?

I also know of a non-Catholic religious denomination that demands that all serious sins be reported to elders. If not, then you are HIDING something and that can warrant disfellowshipping or as Catholics call it-excommunication.

Does any of this have any substantial scriptural support?

Last edited:

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
n.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

God is the only one who can forgive sins, and our sins are forgiven through Jesus sacrifice. That is the only way.

When Jesus said to a man his sins were forgiven, look what the pharisees said....

"Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?"

Confessing your sins does not make them forgiven. Only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ makes you forgiven.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Short answer, no.

Long answer, no.

God is the only one who can forgive sins, and our sins are forgiven through Jesus sacrifice. That is the only way.

When Jesus said to a man his sins were forgiven, look what the pharisees said....

"Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?"

Confessing your sins does not make them forgiven. Only the sacrifice of Jesus Christ makes you forgiven.

Thanks for the reply. Makes plenty of scriptural sense as well as common sense. Unfortunately certain Christians don't seem to have either. Once they suspect some type of HIDDEN sin based on church non-attendance or infrequent attendance or sparse participation in the ministry, they feel 100% justified in treating the other Christian as a persona-non grata or even as a non Christian. They apparently can't imagine someone living a morally upright Christian life unless the person is an active church member. So they imagine the former churchgoer immersed in all the devilish sinning that they imagine non-churchgoers devilishly participating in and begin expecting a confession. No confession after a long absence means hidden sin. LOL!

BTW
I am aware that there are scriptures which encourage us to confess our sins to one another in order to seek spiritual guidance and assistance. But making it a mandatory requirement is the part that seems awry to me.

Upvote 0

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reply. Makes plenty of scriptural sense as well as common sense. Unfortunately certain Christians don't seem to have either. Once they suspect some type of HIDDEN sin based on church non-attendance or infrequent attendance or sparse participation in the ministry, they feel 100% justified in treating the other Christian as a persona-non grata or even as a non Christian. They apparently can't imagine someone living a morally upright Christian life unless the person is an active church member. So they imagine the former churchgoer immersed in all the devilish sinning that they imagine non-churchgoers devilishly participating in and begin expecting a confession. No confession after a long absence means hidden sin. LOL!

BTW
I am aware that there are scriptures which encourage us to confess our sins to one another in order to seek spiritual guidance and assistance. But making it a mandatory requirement is the part that seems awry to me.

People seem to forget that EVERYONE is a sinner.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

If someone says they are not a sinner then you know they are, because they are lying. :)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Certainly. It doesn't necessarily make the practice obligatory or a sacrament, but the Biblical basis is clear. Christ did say to his Apostles that he was giving them the power to forgive (or withhold) sins.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People seem to forget that EVERYONE is a sinner.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

If someone says they are not a sinner then you know they are, because they are lying. :)

Oh they admit being sinners.
It's the grave sins that they require to make confession.
Such as adultery, fornication, theft, etcetera.
The others are considered minor and don't need to be confessed.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Certainly. It doesn't necessarily make the practice obligatory or a sacrament, but the Biblical basis is clear. Christ did say to his Apostles that he was giving them the power to forgive (or withhold) sins.

Where exactly did he say that?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
John 20:22-23
22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23"If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

Also sometimes cited,
Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
John 20:22-23
22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. 23"If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained."

Also sometimes cited,
Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Thanks for the scriptures.

Upvote 0

chandraclaws

May 25, 2015
✟3,897.00
Faith
Christian
As I understand it, the disciples didn't actually have the power to forgive sins. Only God can forgive sins. However, they did have the power to announce to new believers that their sins have been forgiven because they had accepted Jesus' message of forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianMasonJim

A Christian Freemason
May 22, 2010
South Carolina
✟15,903.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Church teaches that the priest ministers in persona Christi, in the person of Christ. In speaking to his disciples, Jesus said, "He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me" (Lk 10:16). "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (Jn 20:22–23).

Upvote 0

Ian16

Nov 29, 2015
Liverpool
✟7,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Catholics practice regular confession to priests.
Do they feel unforgiven if they don't?
Should they?

I also know of a non-Catholic religious denomination that demands that all serious sins be reported to elders. If not, then you are HIDING something and that can warrant disfellowshipping or as Catholics call it-excommunication.

Hi and thanks for your post.
The bible does give us some instruction on this matter and while it can be agued whether confession to priests is scriptural or not, confession to others appears to be part of God's plan.
Here are some scriptures: James 5v16-18 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
Notice how the bible promises healing through confessing to a righteous man who will pray for you. Elijah was a righteous man and when he prayed the land was healed, so it is with our hearts.
Also 1 John 1v7 says: If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
Notice how we not only have fellowship with each other but also cleansing through Jesus blood when we expose the darkness in our lives. Now I'm not saying we can't repent and pray to God on our own and find forgiveness. However there really does seem to be a biblical premise to find fellow believers who will pray for you and stand with you, so you can be healed from the effects of sin. Eccl 4v12 states: Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Kind regards
Ian http://www.iansideas.com

Reactions: Seek.1st
Upvote 0

DeepWater

Just The Truth
Aug 6, 2011
Israel (usually)
✟16,539.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship

EXACTLY.
So, go and dig one up and confess it to Peter or Paul or any of the 11.
But dont try to fool us into believing that your Priest, or your Pope, or your Minister, is one of the "Apostles", as they are most certainly not no matter what THEY tell you.
And when you come to realize this, you might be able to free yourself from your cult.
But i doubt it, as you'd have to actually want to know the truth, and for most people in cults, they are not interested in Truth, and that is why they are in a cult.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
EXACTLY.
So, go and dig one up and confess it to Peter or Paul or any of the 11.
But dont try to fool us into believing that your Priest, or your Pope, or your Minister, is one of the "Apostles", as they are most certainly not no matter what THEY tell you.
And when you come to realize this, you might be able to free yourself from your cult.
But i doubt it, as you'd have to actually want to know the truth, and for most people in cults, they are not interested in Truth, and that is why they are in a cult.

So you see that forgiveness of sins privilege as historically restricted to the twelve Apostles?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sarah_beloved

Whom Jesus loves
Feb 20, 2016
Singapore
✟9,270.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Confessions of sins could be beneficial in terms of being accountable. However it has zero impact on whether or not our sins are forgiven - that is solely by the grace of God and through faith in the blood of Christ. All sins are ultimately against God, that is why King David prayed "against you, you only, have I sinned"

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Confessions of sins could be beneficial in terms of being accountable. However it has zero impact on whether or not our sins are forgiven - that is solely by the grace of God and through faith in the blood of Christ. All sins are ultimately against God, that is why King David prayed "against you, you only, have I sinned"

I agree. Yet we have Jesus going out of his way to say that to them.
Why would he do that?

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isn't it more a matter of acceptance of the responsibility of our sins than outright admission of individual sins?

In other words, when the Bible encourages to admit to our sins, isn't it more a matter of admitting that we are sinners, (coming to the realization through rebirth that we are in need of forgiveness. Realization that we 'are' sinners and admitting such), rather than verbalizing individual sins to others?

It is my opinion that the Catholic Confession was used by the 'Church' to take advantage of the congregation rather than 'any' priest having the power or authority to 'forgive sins'.

How beneficial to a 'power hungry' organization to teach their followers that they 'must confess' to their individual sins. Imagine that power the 'Church' would have over individuals who confessed to 'sins' that they could be 'put to death for'. Once one admitted to 'adultery', or any host of sins that they could be 'put to death' for, wouldn't they then be helf at the mercy of the 'Church'? Couldn't their own admissions be used as a form of blackmail if the individual later refused to comply with 'any' requests of the 'Church'.

In other words, you come to me and confess that you are having sexual relations with another man's wife. Then I come to you in public and ask for monetary assistance for the 'Church' to build a 'school'. I wouldn't even need to threaten you, you would already 'know' that I knew your sins you had confessed. Under such a system, how could you tell me 'no'? Knowing that I could very easily share your confession and have you brought up on 'charges' that could then lead to your very death.

Think of the 'power' this could create if one could merely 'teach' the congregation that they "MUST" confess their sins in order for a 'priest' to forgive them.

No guys and gals, we are to merely face the reality or responsibility for being 'sinners' by admitting to ourselves and others that we are. Confessing our individual sins to other individuals, especially to those that are 'living for this world', would accomplish nothing but persecution. Men aren't capable of being responsible for their own sins, so what logical explanation can one conceive that men are capable of being responsible for the sins of 'others'?

The 'confessional' was a 'tool' created by the Catholic Church. A 'tool' designed to control the congregation. And how many sincere members of the congregation has the 'Church' taken advantage of over the centuries? Using their confessions against them for their own gain?

Blessings,

MEC

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, the disciples didn't actually have the power to forgive sins. Only God can forgive sins. However, they did have the power to announce to new believers that their sins have been forgiven because they had accepted Jesus' message of forgiveness.
Of course there are some Christians who take the view you've referred to. There is a difference of opinion among Christians on all sorts of issues.

But the question was whether or not there is substantial Scriptural support for the idea of clergy forgiving sins...and there is. The Scriptures given in post #8 are the support that is usually cited by those churches which answer in the affirmative.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0