Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is who we follow and not Billy Graham.

Billy said,
"When we do sin, God does not reject us or disown us. Our fellowship with Him may be broken, but our relationship is not; we are still members of His family if we have truly committed our lives to Christ" (Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Salvation Q & A Index #9, Frequently Asked Questions, Internet.)

Jesus said,
“But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:28-30).

Billy Graham association says,

“Nevertheless, I regret that your friend upset you by saying suicide is the unforgivable sin, because this is not what the Bible says. Only one sin can never be forgiven by God, and that is the sin of turning one’s back on God and rejecting His offer of salvation in Christ. If we reject God, then God has no choice but to reject us. In some cases, rejecting God may lead eventually to suicide (as in the case of Judas), but not always.”

Suicide is a form of murder (i.e. self murder).

1 John 3:15 says,

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15).

Source:
A friend told me that suicide is the unforgivable sin and that I'll never see my husband in heaven (he was a Christian, but he took his own life). Is my friend right?

In 1971 Graham is shown meeting with Oakland, California, Catholic Bishop Floyd Begin who lauded Graham's ministry. In 1972 he received a Franciscan Friars' award for true ecumenism. In 1979 Graham praised the pope as a "moral and spiritual leader that believes in something."

Source:
Chick.com: Billy Graham Still Sending Converts Back to the Pope

Graham even made a statement of his assurance of the pope's salvation over his own.
So unless you are in favor of Catholicism, you don't know Billy's support of it.

As for Billy being rich:

Graham as one of America’s eight richest pastors, Beliefnet.com reported. Graham’s estimated $25 million net worth is equal to that of Rick Warren, but lower than pastors such as Joel Osteen ($40 million) and Kenneth Copeland ($760 million).

Forbes has reported that two nonprofits associated with Billy Graham are among the biggest charities in the U.S. Samaritan’s Purse posted revenues of $635 million in 2016, while the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association had $101 million in revenues in 2010. Both organizations are now run by Billy Graham’s son William Franklin Graham III, who is paid well for his leadership roles. Better known as Franklin Graham, he received a whopping total of $1.2 million in 2008 and $880,000 in compensation in 2014 for running the two charities, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Source:
Billy Graham Was One of America's Richest Pastors. Here's What We Know About His Money

Jesus said,

“Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
(Matthew 19:23).

The apostle Paul said,

“...they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.” (1 Timothy 6:9).

“But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life,” (1 Timothy 6:11-12).

I never say that we follow Billy Graham. I don’t think Billy Graham ask people to follow him but he would surely direct them to Christ.
Yes, we all should follow the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I understand the severity that the Lord have said about sin in Matthew 5:28-30
But I say to you that everyone who LOOKS AT a woman with lustful intent has already COMMITTED ADULTERY with her in his heart. -Matthew 5:28

Now, you tell me what happened in John 8:1-11.
Do the Lord condemn the sinful woman that has committed adultery?

What is wrong with brother Billy Graham saying this:

Billy said,
"When we do sin, God does not reject us or disown us. Our fellowship with Him may be broken, but our relationship is not; we are still members of His family if we have truly committed our lives to Christ"

Don’t you see that sinful woman that comes to the Pharisee’s house in Luke 7:36-50
What do the Lord have said about her :
Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven'for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." -Luke 7:47

Was it not because of her sins of committing adultery that she has broken her fellowship with God, but her relationship was not. You see, after the Lord has said to her that He did not condemn her and sin no more ; what she did ? she wet the Lord’s feet with her tears and never cease to kiss His feet; because she loved much ; her sins that are many are forgiven by the Lord. Her relationship with the Lord is restored.

In regard to : Billy Graham association says,
“Nevertheless, I regret that your friend upset you by saying suicide is the unforgivable sin, because this is not what the Bible says. Only one sin can never be forgiven by God, and that is the sin of turning one’s back on God and rejecting His offer of salvation in Christ. If we reject God, then God has no choice but to reject us. In some cases, rejecting God may lead eventually to suicide (as in the case of Judas), but not always.”

And you said :

what are your concern with what Billy Graham association have said ?

Don’t you hear and understand that is said: “In some cases, rejecting God MAY LEAD EVENTUALLY TO SUICIDE (as in the case of Judas), BUT NOT ALWAYS.”

Don’t you see the compassion and sympathy what Billy Graham association have said in the article toward that person who asked question?

In regard to your question about Billy Graham sending converts to the pope. I don’t know how that website know that Billy Graham sending converts to the pope. I think if you are concerned about those converts, you should contact brother Billy Graham association; I am sure they knew but I don’t know anything about that.

In regard to Billy Graham being rich, you seem to be concerned that he does not go to heavens, as you quote me :
Jesus said,
“Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Don’t you know this is written:
And behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus. He was a chief tax collector and was RICH. -Luke 19:2

What do Jesus say of this rich man called Zacchaeus :
And Jesus said to him, "Today SALVATION has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. -Luke 19:9
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." -Luke 19:10

So let me ask you this about rich man called Zacchaeus ? Is this Zacchaeus saved and go to heavens or not ?

Let me ask you why you persist to condemn Billy Graham; what Billy Graham and his association has done personally to you ? Don’t quote me more articles ! Let us be honest !

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
EDIT: I still believe to be saved: Believe on Jesus Christ to be saved. (Believe means to have faith and trust in Jesus Christ to save you)

Is it discipleship to commit your life to Jesus to be saved? When you make the decision to get saved by believing on Jesus you can say I commit to Jesus but it remains to be seen if you actually follow through on it. I do not think you have to commit your life to Jesus to be saved.

However I read on Billy Graham's website the following:

"To believe in Jesus, the Bible says, is to commit our lives to Him and to trust Him totally and completely for our salvation."

Website link: What does it mean to believe in Jesus?

"What does it mean to commit your life to Jesus Christ? Let me illustrate it this way. I notice from your letter that you are married. What exactly happened when you said, “I do”? Before then, you undoubtedly believed you truly loved your future husband, and that he loved you. But something happened during your wedding ceremony: You both made a vow to be committed to each other for the rest of your lives. You no longer just believed you loved each other — you now were committed to each other.

The same is true when we come to Jesus Christ. We may believe He existed; we may even believe He gave His life for us to purchase our salvation. But something else needs to take place: We need to commit our lives to Him — to trust Him completely as our Savior, and vow to follow Him as our Lord."

Website link: I notice in your column that you often tell people to commit their lives to Jesus, but what exactly does that mean?
Discipleship is a part of salvation. Many, many well-known Pastors and evangelists have pretty much said just this. And that’s good.

Yes, personal faith is vital. So is discipleship. We need that.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what are you doing with John 6:26-29?

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, this is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

It seems that believing itself is work, doesn’t it?
John 6:29 is simply a play on words by Jesus when he said, "This is the work (singular) of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent," when He answered the Jews (who were taking a legalistic approach) when they asked, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works (plural) of God?"

So Jesus was not saying that believing is just "another work" in a series of works in a quest to receive salvation by works, which would contradict Ephesians 2:8,9. *Note the distinction between faith "and" works - "saved through faith, not works." Not saved through the work of faith, just not other works.

So believing is clearly not a work that merits salvation. Through believing, we are completely trusting in "Another's work," (Christ's finished work of redemption - Romans 3:24-28).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never say that we follow Billy Graham. I don’t think Billy Graham ask people to follow him but he would surely direct them to Christ.

Well, he is not alive anymore to do that. The problem is his example that he left. People will follow Billy's example (Which is someone you look to in following or defending).

You said:
Yes, we all should follow the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Billy's actions and words do not line up with our Lord Jesus Christ. I already demonstrated this fact for you in my previous post, but you are unwilling to see it because you want to follow Billy's association and or those who teach like him.

Billy teaches that sin does not cause spiritual death or condemnation for a believer.
Yet, Jesus did teach that sin cause spiritual death or condemnation for the believer.
In Matthew 25:21, the servant who was faithful over a few things was told to enter the joy of His Lord, and yet, in Matthew 25:30, the unprofitable servant was told to be cast into outer darkness where there was weeping and gnashing of teeth.

I understand the severity that the Lord have said about sin in Matthew 5:28-30
But I say to you that everyone who LOOKS AT a woman with lustful intent has already COMMITTED ADULTERY with her in his heart. -Matthew 5:28

No. You don't understand. Jesus is teaching that looking upon a woman in lust can cause a person to be cast bodily into hellfire. Billy is teaching that sins like these will not cause them to be cast bodily into hellfire for the believer. Jesus does not make an exemption for believers in regards to Matthew 5:28-30. In fact, it does no good for an unbeliever to just stop in looking at woman in lust if they refuse to accept Jesus as their Savior. So the unbeliever is not condemned for just committing these sins alone, but there big sin that is standing in the way is not accepting Jesus as their Savior. So Jesus is talking to believers in Matthew 5:28-30. Even Paul said that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God and he lists sins like adultery in Galatians 5:19-21.

You said:
Now, you tell me what happened in John 8:1-11.
Do the Lord condemn the sinful woman that has committed adultery?

This is in reference to her past sins only. Obviously at this point her life she was not planning to continue to keep committing adultery an hour or so later. In fact, Jesus made this fact clear by telling her to: “sin no more” (John 8:11). Jesus did not tell the woman caught in the act of adultery to not worry about her sin anymore because they were all paid for.

Jesus said to the man he healed to also, “Sin no more, lest (otherwise) a worse thing come upon you.” (John 5:14). What worse thing can come upon him? The Lake of Fire of course.

You said:
What is wrong with brother Billy Graham saying this:

Billy said,
"When we do sin, God does not reject us or disown us. Our fellowship with Him may be broken, but our relationship is not; we are still members of His family if we have truly committed our lives to Christ"

Because the Billy Graham association is saying that one can commit grievous (or mortal) sin and still be saved when the Bible teaches contrary to that fact. Again, Jesus and His followers taught that any grievous (or mortal) sin that is committed that is not confessed or forsaken leads to spiritual death or condemnation. Billy left a legacy behind of his beliefs that teach that this is not the case. They teach that a believer can die in their unconfessed mortal sins and still be saved all because they have a belief alone in Jesus. So according to his theology, one can be like George Sodini and murder a bunch of people and commit suicide thinking one is saved. Well, that is if you take his theology or words literally.

You said:
Don’t you see that sinful woman that comes to the Pharisee’s house in Luke 7:36-50
What do the Lord have said about her :
Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven'for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little." -Luke 7:47
Was it not because of her sins of committing adultery that she has broken her fellowship with God, but her relationship was not. You see, after the Lord has said to her that He did not condemn her and sin no more ; what she did ? she wet the Lord’s feet with her tears and never cease to kiss His feet; because she loved much ; her sins that are many are forgiven by the Lord. Her relationship with the Lord is restored.

What part of the text indicated she was a believer previously?
None. This means she was never a believer before, and she was sinful and she was coming to the Lord for the first time and all her PAST sins only were being forgiven.
Nowhere is Jesus saying here that her future rebellion against God is being forgiven here and that she can remain as a prostitute as long as she has a belief alone in Jesus.

You said:
In regard to : Billy Graham association says,

And you said :

what are your concern with what Billy Graham association have said ?

Don’t you hear and understand that is said: “In some cases, rejecting God MAY LEAD EVENTUALLY TO SUICIDE (as in the case of Judas), BUT NOT ALWAYS.”

Don’t you see the compassion and sympathy what Billy Graham association have said in the article toward that person who asked question?

Suicide (where the person does not come back to life) always means that such a person is condemned with hell fire or spiritual death because they cannot confess of this sin when they are dead. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we are not cleansed unrighteousness, we are not going to make it. For Paul says be not deceived that the unrighteous will not inherit the Kingdom of God (See: Galatians 5:19-21).

You said:
In regard to your question about Billy Graham sending converts to the pope. I don’t know how that website know that Billy Graham sending converts to the pope. I think if you are concerned about those converts, you should contact brother Billy Graham association; I am sure they knew but I don’t know anything about that.

It's obvious Billy has no problem with the unbiblical beliefs within Catholicism. Again, this alone should be reason for you to no longer look to the teachings that come from Billy Graham's association because they are in league with Catholicism. Unless of course you don't have a problem with Catholicism.

In regard to Billy Graham being rich, you seem to be concerned that he does not go to heavens, as you quote me :
Jesus said,

Don’t you know this is written:
And behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus. He was a chief tax collector and was RICH. -Luke 19:2

What do Jesus say of this rich man called Zacchaeus :
And Jesus said to him, "Today SALVATION has come to this house, since he also is a son of Abraham. -Luke 19:9
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost." -Luke 19:10
So let me ask you this about rich man called Zacchaeus ? Is this Zacchaeus saved and go to heavens or not ?

Again, you are confusing a past life of sin with the current change of heart that is seeking to put that kind of life behind them. Zacchaeus was giving up a good portion of his wealth and paying back those he cheated. This is why salvation came to his house that day. Zacchaeus did not say to Jesus that he was going to accumulate more wealth and cheat more people with Jesus saying salvation has come to his house that day.

You said:
Let me ask you why you persist to condemn Billy Graham; what Billy Graham and his association has done personally to you ? Don’t quote me more articles ! Let us be honest !

It's not personal. Their beliefs and actions simply do not align with the Bible. We are to earnestly contend for the faith according to Scripture. If something does not line up with God's Word, we are to expose such wrong beliefs that run contrary to His Word that can lead others down a wrong path.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All these verses are concerning losing faith, we are warned over and over again in the NT and the OT. Jesus warned us but I suppose Paul gave more warnings that anyone.

No. It is proving that sin can lead to spiritual death, but such sins can be forgiven if they confessed and forsaken.

For example:

28 “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:28-30).

Jesus mentions nothing about apostasy in Matthew 5 as to the cause or problem in Matthew 5:28-30. Jesus' solution is that a person is to cut off their hand or take out their eye (metaphorically speaking) so as to stop in doing these sins otherwise their whole body will be cast into hellfire. Basically Jesus is telling a believer to stop doing these things, otherwise they will be condemned.

You said:
The first example with Adam and Eve is an exception. This is when sin entered into the world, this is a completely different situation.

What verse or passage tells you things have changed?
There is none. The same lie that the devil sold Eve on is the same lie that the devil is selling many on today. They can sin and still be saved. History is repeating itself. The devil is saying to many today, you will not die. Many have bought into this lie hook line and sinker. But even Paul says that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and he lists various sins like murder, idolatry, adultery, hate, drunkenness, etc. (See: Galatians 5:19-21). Paul says not to be deceived on this matter.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No. It is proving that sin can lead to spiritual death, but such sins can be forgiven if they confessed and forsaken.

For example:

28 “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.” (Matthew 5:28-30).

Jesus mentions nothing about apostasy in Matthew 5 as to the cause or problem in Matthew 5:28-30. Jesus' solution is that a person is to cut off their hand or take out their eye (metaphorically speaking) so as to stop in doing these sins otherwise their whole body will be cast into hellfire. Basically Jesus is telling a believer to stop doing these things, otherwise they will be condemned.

What verse or passage tells you things have changed?
There is none. The same lie that the devil sold Eve on is the same lie that the devil is selling many on today. They can sin and still be saved. History is repeating itself. The devil is saying to many today, you will not die. Many have bought into this lie hook line and sinker. But even Paul says that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and he lists various sins like murder, idolatry, adultery, hate, drunkenness, etc. (See: Galatians 5:19-21). Paul says not to be deceived on this matter.

So many things you can't understand my friend.

Galatians is concerning those who are bringing Law into grace.

When Paul speaks of "the works of the flesh" he is speaking of those who are trying to be justified by the works of the Law. It separates one from Grace.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So many things you can't understand my friend.

Galatians is concerning those who are bringing Law into grace.

When Paul speaks of "the works of the flesh" he is speaking of those who are trying to be justified by the works of the Law. It separates one from Grace.

No. The works of the flesh is sin.

19 “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Paul is trying to condemn going back to the Old Law (or Law Alone Salvationism) in Galatians because Paul is condemning “Circumcision Salvationism” in Galatians 5:1-6, and yet on the other hand Paul is trying to be clear that one cannot justify mortal sin under the New Covenant otherwise they will not inherit the kingdom of God (Galatians 5:19-21).

Side Note:

Circumcision Salvationism is the belief that says that one must first be circumcised in order to be saved. Circumcision is something that is a part of the Old Covenant Law and not the New Covenant laws.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
No. The works of the flesh is sin.

19 “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19-21).

Paul is trying to condemn going back to the Old Law (or Law Alone Salvationism) in Galatians because Paul is condemning “Circumcision Salvationism” in Galatians 5:1-6, and yet on the other hand Paul is trying to be clear that one cannot justify mortal sin under the New Covenant otherwise they will not inherit the kingdom of God (Galatians 5:19-21).

Side Note:

Circumcision Salvationism is the belief that says that one must first be circumcised in order to be saved. Circumcision is something that is a part of the Old Covenant Law and not the New Covenant laws.

Again you can't comprehend!

Walking in the flesh is living outside of Gods grace, which will show from these sins.

One or more of these sins will rise up in the life of one who is walking in the flesh.

Observing Law of any kind places one in the flesh, Grace has been cancelled.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Walking in the flesh is living outside of Gods grace, which will show from these sins.

One or more of these sins will rise up in the life of one who is walking in the flesh.

Again, I can say the same for you. You are not listening to what Galatians 5:19-21 says. Read Galatians 5:19. It says that the works of the flesh is adultery, etc. Paul then lists even more sins and says that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. What does that even mean to you? How do you interpret Galatians 5:19-21 as those who do such sins will not inherit the kingdom of God? Does Paul give an exception to the believer in Galatians 5:19-21?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul is talking to believers in Galatians 5:19-21 because he says in Galatians 5:16 to walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Paul is offering a new way of obeying God instead of the Old way which was by circumcision, etc.(Galatians 5:1-6). The topic of flesh is defined as sin because Paul mentions how the works of the flesh is adultery, etc. and they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God (See again: Galatians 5:19-21). Paul is warning believers here and how they will not inherit the kingdom of God if they justify such sins.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Again, I can say the same for you. You are not listening to what Galatians 5:19-21 says. Read Galatians 5:19. It says that the works of the flesh is adultery, etc. Paul then lists even more sins and says that they which do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. What does that even mean to you? How do you interpret Galatians 5:19-21 as those who do such sins will not inherit the kingdom of God? Does Paul give an exception to the believer in Galatians 5:19-21?

OK, have it your way, as I said, I leave it in the hands of the Lord.

There is no way I can reach you!

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, have it your way, as I said, I leave it in the hands of the Lord.

There is no way I can reach you!

Sorry. This is just a cop out excuse with no real substance. I am asking you to explain Galatians 5:19-21. Yet, you are the one who is refusing to explain things by not answering my questions in what those verses say. But I know why you will not explain them. It is because you cannot explain away what Scripture plainly states. For God's Word destroys the doctrines of men. If I am wrong, then you need to answer my questions in regards to those verses.

I mean, don't explain it for me to get it, explain it for the other guy who happens to read across this website in passing. But again, I know you will not do that because you simply cannot. For Galatians 5:19-21 simply does not support your belief that a believer can sin and still be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your misunderstanding Galatians 5 my friend. Paul was addressing Christians who were trying to become righteous by works of the law. There’s a difference between being obedient to God and seeking to earn righteousness by works. Just because we can’t earn righteousness doesn’t mean we don’t have to be obedient.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,196,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your misunderstanding Galatians 5 my friend. Paul was addressing Christians who were trying to become righteous by works of the law. There’s a difference between being obedient to God and seeking to earn righteousness by works. Just because we can’t earn righteousness doesn’t mean we don’t have to be obedient.

I believe Paul was referring to Christians trying to wrongfully be righteous by the works of the Law of Moses like circumcision in Galatians 5:1-6, but in Galatians 5:16-24, Paul was making it clear that there is a new way of obedience and it does include putting away grievous or mortal sin (Which of course can only happen after being saved by God's grace first).

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe Paul was referring to Christians trying to wrongfully be righteous by the works of the Law of Moses like circumcision in Galatians 5:1-6, but in Galatians 5:16-24, Paul was making it clear that there is a new way of obedience and it does include putting away grievous or mortal sin (Which of course can only happen after being saved by God's grace first).

I don’t believe the temptation of those sins is fully removed but I believe that we are given the power to overcome that temptation. We are no longer slaves to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Observing Law is not being obedient to God!

We can only be obedient by completely surrendering to Him in faith and allow the Holy Spirit to bring about that obedience.

We are walking in the flesh without the Holy Spirit, hence the statement, "walk in the Spirit that you may not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Obedience to the Law is His doing in us, not our doing.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is the fruit of a correct gospel message?

Did you really just say that?

Where is the fruit of an incorrect message? Seen the church in America lately? 2 Timothy 3:5 comes to my mind...

I believe he said that ironically.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Observing Law is not being obedient to God!

We can only be obedient by completely surrendering to Him in faith and allow the Holy Spirit to bring about that obedience.

We are walking in the flesh without the Holy Spirit, hence the statement, "walk in the Spirit that you may not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. Obedience to the Law is His doing in us, not our doing.

If obedience was God’s doing then there would be no need to tell Christians to obey, which we see that Paul does this numerous times throughout all of his epistles which are all addressed to Christians. Ephesians 4 and 5 are just two examples.

“So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness. But you did not learn Christ in this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another. BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity. He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need. Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:17-32‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Obedience is not automatic, even for those who are sealed with the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To sum up this thread, committing your life to Jesus or following Jesus/obedience is not required to get saved. These are works that one will want to do if they are saved.

Yes, and, frankly, nobody actually does the work of Jesus unless they are saved.

They may do works that they call "of Jesus," and they may do works that look something like works of Jesus, but only those who are actually hearing and obeying the Holy Spirit are doing the work of Jesus.

Reactions: Basketball
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,478,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not receive eternal life by opening a door.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. -- Revelation 3:20

Upvote 0