Is Christian Rock good or bad?

One of the longest ongoing debates among Christians is weather there really is such A thing as"Christian rock"!My Mom don't believe in it and does not like it at all,Others say it's ministering to others through the spirital lyrics of the songs.I have artists in my music collection who are God fearing people who share there faith through rock(I have some contemporary too.)Nowhere does it ever say that hitting drums harder or Having to plug your guitar into an amplifier to play it or being loud is a sin!I think it all boils down to the message in the music,not the sound of it?I would like to know your thoughts on this subject!:wave:

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
All music can be used to take people towards the lord and take them away from the lord. Your ear will listen to the tune, but your heart will listen to the message. If your ear likes the sound of heavy drums and a shredding guitar, be it better to listen to that while praising christ than listening to it with secular lyrics, or even satanic ones.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At least one of the Psalms was played 'upon the instrument of Gath.'

Now David and the psalmists could have said that the instrument of Gath was evil, worldly, demonic. But it was just a thing, and instrument that could be used for the glory of God. Perhaps the Israelites made their own versions of it, versions not used in idolatry, and played it. But it was still, apparently, an instrument taken from Gath.

I don't see anything in the Bible that condemns a certain rythm, type of instrument, or music style as evil.

Upvote 0

Mixolydian

Lord I believe; help my unbelief.
Oct 7, 2008
Kansas
✟11,433.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I grew up in a Church of Christ that didn't believe instrumental music was authorized by the new testament and, consequently, everything was acapella. Man, those were some dry services. It was extremely legalistic in that regard. When my dad passed away he was cremated. We had the memorial service in that church (note, a memorial service, not a church service) and they refused to allow a buglelist to sound taps. I raised a fuss and they relented to opening the doors and letting the buglelist stand on the sidewalk outside to play. This was in January during an ice storm.

So, yeah, and fine with Christian rock. Loud.

Upvote 0
J

jeremymahurin

I remember when I first listened to DC Talk and many in my church thought they were straight from the devil. However, their hearts were turned as the youth in the church were changed by the lyrics from their music and other Christian rock artists. Southern Gospel just can't reach all audiences. It is all about the message of the music and the hearts of the artists, not the decibel level of the music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
One of the longest ongoing debates among Christians is weather there really is such A thing as"Christian rock"!My Mom don't believe in it and does not like it at all,Others say it's ministering to others through the spirital lyrics of the songs.I have artists in my music collection who are God fearing people who share there faith through rock(I have some contemporary too.)Nowhere does it ever say that hitting drums harder or Having to plug your guitar into an amplifier to play it or being loud is a sin!I think it all boils down to the message in the music,not the sound of it?I would like to know your thoughts on this subject!:wave:

You know, the older folks find it harder to accept changing times. I suppose a tree that's grown for a long time can't bend as easily as a young sapling - proverbially speaking. I honestly find nothing wrong with music that glorifies God, and has a message that comes from sincere hearts. After all, that is what really matters - the heart. If someone's heart belongs to God, then the rest is just detail. That's what I believe.

Upvote 0

SirKenny85

Nov 30, 2010
Arizona
✟7,935.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly find nothing wrong with music that glorifies God, and has a message that comes from sincere hearts. After all, that is what really matters - the heart. If someone's heart belongs to God, then the rest is just detail. That's what I believe.

Really good food for thought there, couldn't agree with your post more : )

Also, just because someone says they are a Christian rock band, does not necessarily mean that they are as such. There are plenty of examples of bands who claim to be Christian, but seem to hold values they are the exact opposite. I suppose it's wise to listen/read the lyrics, and go with what your gut instinct tells you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
When I first came back to the Lord early this year, I was struck by how much Christian music had changed. I had been several times to Martels and each time I couldn't find some good worship music. That would not have happened before!

They were playing something really rad on the speakers and I said to the employee: "another voice they will not follow". As a sheep, I was baaa questioning because the shepherd was nowhere to be found. They were just trying to be weird!

Another "song" came on and it was more reasonable. I complained to the store that it lacked any anointing and I was rebuked by the Lord right in the store. I believe a balanced take on it was/is is that the music was primarily an "outer court" experience to lead the world to Christ. Many Christians still hang out there. There is a valid ministry, but the Holy Place is where the greater anointing is. You're facing God and not facing out. Music in the 80s and 90s was more "Holy Place" oriented and made you want to give your life to the Lord completely. It melted your heart and made you want to worship.

Musicians still have a choice if their ministry is going to be facing outward, compelling them to come in, or toward the throne. If He be lifted up, He'll draw all men to Him, so you'll still minister to the hearer. Of course, the Holy of Holies, mature walk is total worship. You don't have your groove on in the throne room.

I'll still put on some early Phil Keaggy and I know it appeals more to my flesh even though it has some more anointed songs than others. I'm far more blessed if the music is more anointed.

There is definitely some "music" death metal that is so obviously not of God, they don't even bother with the sheep skin. Don't just accept anything on the shelf as being "of God".

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Here is an interesting layman's commentary regarding the "big music debate" among believers. I feel that this writer is really good at analyzing everything usually touched on whenever the issue is discussed. I must say ahead of time that it's quite long and detailed, so it is advisable to save it to your computer and read it in sections. Whether one agrees, disagrees, or is pretty much neutral, it still makes for some pretty good reading, if anything.

Note the one-panel cartoon on the top of the article. It's cute, but is relatable to anyone who has found themselves involved in such discussions.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050910210018/http://members.aol.com/etb700/ccm.html

God bless you all. :)

Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Oh one thing I did forget to mention earlier, i have heard bands play to bring glory to the lord, and bring the holy Spirit to the room, but I have also heard bands who play christian songs and stuff, but they are more about the music than the message.

Upvote 0

prass1

Dec 4, 2010
Paramount, Ca, USA
✟15,351.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

In General, it is not. It all depends on the lyrics of each song that determine good or bad.:)

Upvote 0