Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see. You've switched to a different issue.

The answer to your question here is "yes." Bear in mind that when we say "Calvinist," that's a fairly broad term and there are people of different slants on this subject who all call themselves Calvinist.

Yes I know but Calvin’s doctrine of unconditional grace teaches that God’s election is not based on anything that we do or choose. So Calvin is teaching that our obedience, belief, endurance, etc is completely irrelevant to God’s election. I completely agree with God’s election just not Calvin’s interpretation of it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truly I have no idea what this has to do with what I posted.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture indicates you can choose to be good soil, or bad.
Actually the teaching from that parable is there is only one kind of soil that produces. The soils are as they are when the sower sows the seed.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Calvin completely missed the message in Romans 9. Paul is writing about God choosing to give mercy to the Gentiles. The Jews are the vessel for wrath and the Gentiles are the vessel for honor. Please read the lower portion carefully as I have pasted the two scriptures in Romans 9 together to make it more clear.

“What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory, even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles. As He says also in Hosea, "I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, ' MY PEOPLE,' AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, ' BELOVED.'" " AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, ' YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD." Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, " THOUGH THE NUMBER OF THE SONS OF ISRAEL BE LIKE THE SAND OF THE SEA, IT IS THE REMNANT THAT WILL BE SAVED; FOR THE LORD WILL EXECUTE HIS WORD ON THE EARTH, THOROUGHLY AND QUICKLY." And just as Isaiah foretold, " UNLESS THE LORD OF SABAOTH HAD LEFT TO US A POSTERITY, WE WOULD HAVE BECOME LIKE SODOM, AND WOULD HAVE RESEMBLED GOMORRAH." What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone,”

(Notice how this compares to “For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy.”)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's just ridiculous.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please address the thematic. I did not quote Calvin. The answer to your question is in the Biblical thematic I posted. Here it is again:

What we can derive from Holy Scriptures is that God Sovereignly elects. Some are elect and some are not. Now when Paul in Romans 9 makes his proposition of the one who would rail against God doing such a thing, he rebukes such thought as fallen human thought on how God should be more just according to man's concept of justice.

So your demand in asking another human being if those who are not Sovereignly elected by God "were never capable of meeting God's expectations" the Biblical answer is no human born in sin throughout the history of creation are/were ever capable of meeting God's expectations. Only Jesus Christ met God's expectations for Perfection and Holiness. That is why God in love and in his mercy sent His only begotten son to take on flesh (Incarnation), suffer for our sins, die for our sins, buried and risen again so that we may have life eternally with Him.

The second part of this is your question of election. Sovereign Election is Biblical. God does not explain why some are elect and some are not other than telling us in John 10 that the Father gives His sheep to the Son and the Son keeps them, lays down His life for them and they will never perish. And with the Apostle Paul showing that God chooses His people before the foundation of the earth (before space, time and matter aka before Creation).

Now the shadow/type for God's election is in the OT. He sought out individuals and by extension a nation to be set aside to be Holy. I guess using this type and shadow one could ask or rail against God on why were the Syrians not offered the same deal as Israel? Why not the Russians? The Chinese? Why not the Saxons? How about the Ukrainians? They got a raw deal?

What we do know is God chose according to His will and purpose; His will and purpose will not be thwarted; and He did so for His Name and Glory. With His choosing He was very possessive of and "jealous" against anything or anyone who got in the way of His relationship with His chosen people.

We see the same thematic election in the NT as well. But under a better covenant in the Blood of Jesus Christ. I already posted Ezekiel 36:22-32 which gives us the foreshadowing of the New Covenant, and also posted Ephesians chapters 1 and 2, Romans 9-11, and will add now the entire book of Hebrews (which discusses the New Covenant compared with the Old) showing this thematic relationship of a Sovereign God who chooses, elects, and Saves according to His will and purpose for His Name and for His Glory.

This 'thematic' is what you and some others are arguing against. Not Calvinism but the very Holy Scriptures which reveal the thematic.​

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how does he choose then? I kind of thought unconditional meant unconditional.
God chooses according to His will and purpose. More accurately "according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you can be saved without love?
Huh? God sending His only Son to die for our sins and rise from the dead to justify us is Love. As the Apostle John said God first loved us.

If you were referring to us as being blood bought children of God, then in 1 John 5 the Apostle John weaves faith, love, and obedience all together inextricably. They exist mutually in a dynamic relationship—as the genuine proof of love is obedience, so the genuine proof of faith is love. The word “keep” conveys the idea of constant obedience (John 8: 31, 32; 14: 15, 21; 15: 10).”

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other than "He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No because Romans 9 is not even about election it’s about God’s calling.

“even us, whom He also called, not from among Jews only, but also from among Gentiles. As He says also in Hosea, "I WILL CALL THOSE WHO WERE NOT MY PEOPLE, ' MY PEOPLE,' AND HER WHO WAS NOT BELOVED, ' BELOVED.'" " AND IT SHALL BE THAT IN THE PLACE WHERE IT WAS SAID TO THEM, ' YOU ARE NOT MY PEOPLE,' THERE THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF THE LIVING GOD."”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:24-26‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Sorry about all the CAPS my bible app has all the OT references in the NT in caps. Election is not even mentioned in Romans 9.

Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God chooses according to His will and purpose. More accurately "according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved."
What was chosen? What was according to his will? That redemption would be available to those who believe.
13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal,the promised Holy Spirit,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
'Strong' tradition 'required' for doctrine not in harmony with all Scripture ?
"Tradition" accounts for similar errors in almost all religion, doesn't it ?

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That God wants us to do good works and always has is not in question. This verse doesn’t say HOW we are saved in terms of God’s part nor show that He selected some and not others.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Then how do you know it's not arbitrary? In Calvinist theology, it is in fact, arbitrary, as far as they can understand it
The question is whether or not Calvinism teaches that it is arbitrary. No, Calvinism doesn't.

Then as to your second comment, you are mistaken. To say that we do not know the standard that God uses (other than that it's in accord with his purposes) does not mean that the choosing is arbitrary. Maybe a check of a dictionary for the word arbitrary is in order.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct. Calvin understood that eternal life is not a matter of what you do, but Whom you know.
That’s not what he wrote. He himself, when he lay dying, wasn’t sure he was saved.

Upvote 0