Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've got a random question for you guys. Apparently Bill O'Reilly is a practicing Roman Catholic. But I've also heard him attack Catholic bishops who criticize American policy. Is this permitted by Catholic doctrine, or is there some theological basis to suggest that he ought not to do this?

And while I'm here, could you comment on O'Reilly's political positions from a Catholic standpoint? Thanks.

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course a Catholic can criticize the decisions of Bishops and even the Pope. A good Catholic firmly holds on to the Truth of dogmas and doctrines solidly. Many decisions made in the Church hierarchy have had very negative results. As long as adherence to the dogmas and essential doctrines are maintained, a person can be quite critical (within Christian charity of course). You didn't think we are suposed to be robots did you? :)

And, no, I think Bill O'Reilly is not a good Catholic. But for other reasons. ;)

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course a Catholic can criticize the decisions of Bishops and even the Pope. A good Catholic firmly holds on to the Truth of dogmas and doctrines solidly. Many decisions made in the Church hierarchy that have very negative results- as long as adherence to the dogmas and essential doctrines are maintained, a person caan be quite critical (within Christian charity of course). You didn't think we are suposed to be robots did you? :)

I see. I take it this would be due to the fact that when bishops speak on political issues, they do not mean to convey infallible church doctrine?

And, no, I think Bill O'Reilly is not a good Catholic. But for other reasons. ;)

Heh, personally I think that his personality would be a better fit if he were an Independent Fundamental Baptist (but then, I myself am neither independent nor fundamentalist). May I ask why you personally think that he's not a good Catholic?

Upvote 0

holyorders

Miserable Pile of Secrets
Aug 27, 2004
✟3,631.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see. I take it this would be due to the fact that when bishops speak on political issues, they do not mean to convey infallible church doctrine?

Heh, personally I think that his personality would be a better fit if he were an Independent Fundamental Baptist (but then, I myself am neither independent nor fundamentalist). May I ask why you personally think that he's not a good Catholic?
You are right with your first comment. Infallibility in the Church is a very rare occurance.

As for O'Reilly, my opinion about him is that he has an incredible sense of pride that often makes a lot of scandal in the world. Perhaps, if I should say, he follows his party line way too far on some issues and at the same time follows a 180 degree opposite. He seems to me as a loose-cannon. Not very good Christian material on any sense of the word.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You are right with your first comment. Infallibility in the Church is a very rare occurance.

As for O'Reilly, my opinion about him is that he has an incredible sense of pride that often makes a lot of scandal in the world. Perhaps, if I should say, he follows his party line way too far on some issues and at the same time follows a 180 degree opposite. He seems to me as a loose-cannon. Not very good Christian material on any sense of the word.

I see. And what do you think about his stances on abortion and homosexuality? These seem to be the two significant social issues on which the Catholic Church takes a strong stand. Surprisingly, O'Reilly's stance seems to be far weaker on these issues (incidentally my mother says he's a closet gay, but I wouldn't go that far...)

Upvote 0
Of course a Catholic can criticize the decisions of Bishops and even the Pope. A good Catholic firmly holds on to the Truth of dogmas and doctrines solidly. Many decisions made in the Church hierarchy have had very negative results. As long as adherence to the dogmas and essential doctrines are maintained, a person can be quite critical (within Christian charity of course). You didn't think we are suposed to be robots did you? :)

Any sort of criticism of certain policies must always be done with due respect to the bishop and especially to the Pope.

+

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I remember O'Reilly when he was a local reporter for CBS on Channel 3 in Hartford, Connecticut. Politically he is now where he was then: a JFK Democrat. He still says RFK is his political hero. To some he appears to be a conservative because he never bought into the radicalism of the late 1960s and early 1970s. He is pretty much where working class Catholics in the northeast where when he was in school and got his first jobs.

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've got a random question for you guys. Apparently Bill O'Reilly is a practicing Roman Catholic. But I've also heard him attack Catholic bishops who criticize American policy. Is this permitted by Catholic doctrine, or is there some theological basis to suggest that he ought not to do this?

And while I'm here, could you comment on O'Reilly's political positions from a Catholic standpoint? Thanks.

I think Bill O'Reilly worships himself... and that makes him a bad Catholic

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't necessarily wish to pass judgment on Bill O'Reilly. He's not afraid to speak his mind, but I do question his motives. There are some things he says that I agree with, but other things I don't. Of course, he said some things that were pretty un-Christian. But we don't know if he goes to confession or not, so it's a tough call for us to make.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
does he go to confession???
He's not at the top of my list. I like to listen to Laura Ingram, Jerry Doyle......I think Sean Hannity holds more to his faith in politics.......but I don't like the way he holds the partyline on "everything" republican......

* Side note..............Is it just me, or do we ever see threads like " Is Joe Smith a good Protestant? Does he hold good Protestant values?^_^ Do you think Joe Smith represents Protestant values in his politics?

Reactions: geocajun
Upvote 0

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
He does the same thing most poorly cathecised Catholics do when he says "hey, I went to Catholic School all my life, I know what I am talking about". Somehow a Catholic education makes one an authority on the Church. Usually it is quite the contrary.

As far as being a good Catholic, that mena sdifferent things to different people. From appearances (and that is all I can go on), I would tend to say "No".

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He does the same thing most poorly cathecised Catholics do when he says "hey, I went to Catholic School all my life, I know what I am talking about". Somehow a Catholic education makes one an authority on the Church. Usually it is quite the contrary.

Amazingly, I've heard similar things from people who attended Catholic schools and later rejected Catholicism. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, he has made misquotes of Catholic teaching on a number of occasions. I doubt if he has really upgraded his knowledge of doctrine/history/papal pronounments, etc. since his school days, or how well he was instructed at that time. It would be better if he didn't refer to his Catholicism when stating his opinions.

Kotton :idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Metanoia02

Owner of the invisible &a mp;
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟20,203.00
Faith
Catholic
Yes, he has made misquotes of Catholic teaching on a number of occasions. I doubt if he has really upgraded his knowledge of doctrine/history/papal pronounments, etc. since his school days, or how well he was instructed at that time. It would be better if he didn't refer to his Catholicism when stating his opinions.

Kotton :idea:

Everytime I here Bill speak as a "Catholic". I am reminded of St Josemaria Escriva's quote from "The Way":

341 When you see people of uncertain professional standing acting as leaders at public functions of a religious nature, don't you feel the urge to whisper in their ears: Please, would you mind being just a little less Catholic?

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There seems to be something of a misunderstanding of the type of judging Jesus was referring too. Jesus told us not to judge ones eternal soul, however he said nothing about not judging ones prudence or behavior.
Some folks have perverted this so far, they would have us believe it is wrong to tell a murderer he needs to get himself to confession.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.