Is arguing fun? You can't win.

Subordinationist

Nov 29, 2004
✟8,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The forum is a place to discuss, but more than anything, a place to debate and argue. Both non-believers and believers agree: Most posters are closed-minded!

It is difficult to win a debate in the forums. Almost impossible. In fact, I no longer debate to hear those words by the atheist or nationalist, "You're right." When I read a forum, it is as an observer that I agree or disagree. I post for the observer who might gain from our disputes.

Thoughts on the impossibility of winning a forum argument?

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
If you think that converting your opponent in the debate to your point of view is winning then winning is indeed pretty much an impossibility.

But I win when I have an interesting discussion that challenges me and makes me think about what I believe in. I win even more if I am able to get the other person to do the same.

So I have won many Internet debates, and many, many debates on this forum. :)

Upvote 0

Lifesaver

Fides et Ratio
Jan 8, 2004
São Paulo, Brazil
✟16,097.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The objective of any discussion which has reaching the truth as its objective should be to convince the adversary through sound arguments and sound refutations of their arguments.
But there is a lot more at play in any conversation, and that includes debates in Internet Forums.

I am personally never under the illusion that the opposition will capitulate and become convinced of my positions, but to make as good an exposition of my position as I can and the best refutation of the adversary's position as I can so as to convince casual readers and be a factor to, in time, help change the point of view of my adversary.

And I also do it to keep myself updated of the arguments used by the opposition, so that I am better prepared to fight them in a real life discussion or debate.

Upvote 0

Subordinationist

Nov 29, 2004
✟8,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lifesaver said:
I am personally never under the illusion that the opposition will capitulate and become convinced of my positions, but to make as good an exposition of my position as I can and the best refutation of the adversary's position as I can so as to convince casual readers and be a factor to, in time, help change the point of view of my adversary.

I totally agree.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Subordinationist said:
The forum is a place to discuss, but more than anything, a place to debate and argue. Both non-believers and believers agree: Most posters are closed-minded!

It is difficult to win a debate in the forums. Almost impossible. In fact, I no longer debate to hear those words by the atheist or nationalist, "You're right." When I read a forum, it is as an observer that I agree or disagree. I post for the observer who might gain from our disputes.

Thoughts on the impossibility of winning a forum argument?

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you're still retarded.
ya no kidding

I wonder if ;
the rule that you can't promote your belief
causes:
Tearing down others..

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Much depends on the scope of your goals. If you seek to change a person's whole life view, you are likely to fail. But on the particulars most are more vulnerable than they like to pretend. You may not actually see the words, "you win," but that doesn't mean the person won't change their mind about a point or two. Of course this is far more likely to happen if one is improving ones' own position and changing his mind about a point or two as he goes.

Upvote 0