Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
On Saturday, blasphemy ceased to be a criminal offence in the Republic of Ireland. Humanists UK welcomed the new legislation repealing the law finally coming into effect and urged the governments of Scotland and Northern Ireland to now do likewise and repeal their countries’ blasphemy laws.

The new law in Ireland follows 65% of the population voting in favour of removing blasphemy from the Irish constitution in a public referendum in October 2018, and subsequent legislation to put that decision into effect.

Reactions: Desk trauma

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm surprised it took them this long after the referendum, but good I suppose. Seeing as how no one made use of the law in its first 140 years, and only three times since (with the inactivity ending in 1995, in three cases brought by the same Catholic priest), I suspect this has more to do with underlining to the newly arrived from other societies which are definitely not getting rid of their blasphemy laws (*cough*) that you cannot carry on here as you would in your countries of origin. That's quite a good message no matter what your views on religion, I'd think, as it is incompatible with a modern society like Ireland to transport things like the horrific Asia Bibi or Rimsha Masih cases (two cases of Christians jailed in Pakistan for supposedly violating the religious feelings of Pakistan) into the country by virtue of being open to immigrants, so a hard line must be taken. If that means that a priest can't attempt to bring a legal case against someone for saying something mean about Jesus, I'm fine with that. That's a good trade off. No shari'a for no threatening people in court over newspaper editorials or whatever. I don't think it'll ultimately hold, but it's still good.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hard to believe that blasphemy was criminalized at the constitutional level. But, I'm sure archaic, obsolete laws can be found in the US, too. I'll bet some states (both southern and northern) still have anti-miscegenation laws on the books. Of course, they're null, void, and totally unenforceable. But they've never been formally repealed.

• Agree
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hard to believe that blasphemy was criminalized at the constitutional level. But, I'm sure archaic, obsolete laws can be found in the US, too. I'll bet some states (both southern and northern) still have anti-miscegenation laws on the books. Of course, they're null, void, and totally unenforceable. But they've never been formally repealed.

You will be surprised how blasphemy laws are still very pervasive in the world from the Middle East to the Indian subcontinent. And they are enforced very rigorously.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm surprised it took them this long after the referendum, but good I suppose. Seeing as how no one made use of the law in its first 140 years, and only three times since (with the inactivity ending in 1995, in three cases brought by the same Catholic priest), I suspect this has more to do with underlining to the newly arrived from other societies which are definitely not getting rid of their blasphemy laws (*cough*) that you cannot carry on here as you would in your countries of origin. That's quite a good message no matter what your views on religion, I'd think, as it is incompatible with a modern society like Ireland to transport things like the horrific Asia Bibi or Rimsha Masih cases (two cases of Christians jailed in Pakistan for supposedly violating the religious feelings of Pakistan) into the country by virtue of being open to immigrants, so a hard line must be taken. If that means that a priest can't attempt to bring a legal case against someone for saying something mean about Jesus, I'm fine with that. That's a good trade off. No shari'a for no threatening people in court over newspaper editorials or whatever. I don't think it'll ultimately hold, but it's still good.

What I wonder is---does that apply to blasphemy against the Muslim God?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Does what apply? The former Irish law?

"The common law offence of blasphemous libel, applicable only to Christianity and last prosecuted in 1855,"

It was never against the law to blaspheme against 'the Muslim god' in Ireland.

I believe what he meant is with the abolishment of the blasphemy law can the people now equally condemn Islam as they can Christianity. Or is it consider a hate crime only in the direction Islam.

And I would say depend on how "woke" the government is.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe what he meant is with the abolishment of the blasphemy law can the people now equally condemn Islam as they can Christianity.

I am sure they can. Whatever it is wise is another matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I am sure they can. Whatever it is wise is another matter.

I would like to believe you, but things I read coming out of Briton makes me skeptical of the justice system in general. A Youtuber who thought a dog to do a Nazi salute was hauled into court and charged with hate crime. But a Pakistani child grooming gang that specifically targets white British girls was not charged with hate crime but only for the rape and trafficking. And from what I read police was reluctant to act initially because they are afraid to be labelled racist. Also there is a court order to restrict any reporting on the case to avoid prejudice.

Then we have Tommy Robinson brought light to the issue was charged and the police acted in all haste.

Yes it depends on how "woke" the government is when it comes to equal enforcement. And the British Isles has one of the most atrocious bias I have read in recent history.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I believe what he meant is with the abolishment of the blasphemy law can the people now equally condemn Islam as they can Christianity. Or is it consider a hate crime only in the direction Islam.

And I would say depend on how "woke" the government is.

But that is not the case. It was never illegal to blaspheme against Islam. So... um, it still isn't illegal to blaspheme against Islam.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
But that is not the case. It was never illegal to blaspheme against Islam. So... um, it still isn't illegal to blaspheme against Islam.

It's not illegal anywhere else, except in Muslim countries, but the Muslims still will turn into a violent mob if anyone does, and they will threaten the life of anyone that dies so without being charged with a hate crime. But I understand that it is illegal for Christians to react the same way when their God is blasphemed---that's what I mean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's not illegal anywhere else, except in Muslim countries,

That's not entirely true.

China banned a book titled "Xing Fengsu" ("Sexual Customs") which insulted Islam and placed its authors under arrest in 1989 after protests in Lanzhou and Beijing by Chinese Hui Muslims, during which the Chinese police provided protection to the Hui Muslim protestors, and the Chinese government organized public burnings of the book.

but the Muslims still will turn into a violent mob if anyone does

That would seem to treat an entire group of people as a monolithic entity. That isn't true either.

and they will threaten the life of anyone that dies so without being charged with a hate crime.

But I understand that it is illegal for Christians to react the same way when their God is blasphemed---that's what I mean.

I don't know if 'hate crime' is appropriate, but death threats are illegal. I doubt that Ireland is somehow enormously hypocritical on this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That's not entirely true.

China banned a book titled "Xing Fengsu" ("Sexual Customs") which insulted Islam and placed its authors under arrest in 1989 after protests in Lanzhou and Beijing by Chinese Hui Muslims, during which the Chinese police provided protection to the Hui Muslim protestors, and the Chinese government organized public burnings of the book.

That would seem to treat an entire group of people as a monolithic entity. That isn't true either.

I don't know if 'hate crime' is appropriate, but death threats are illegal. I doubt that Ireland is somehow enormously hypocritical on this point.

We shall see.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Same god. The god of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

With all due respect to Islam, it's not the same god. There are so many theological differences it can hardly be called the same.

The Islamic God says Ishmael was the sacrifice but the Hebrew God says Isaac was the sacrifice.

It's like saying LOTR and Warcraft are the same movie because they have shared elements like elves dwarves and orcs.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
With all due respect to Islam, it's not the same god. There are so many theological differences it can hardly be called the same.

Much like Judaism and Christianity. Christianity says Jesus is divine, Judaism says he wasn't.

Upvote 0