"IRAQ" VERY INTERESTING DID YOU KNOW??????

seangoh

Veteran
Dec 10, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
✟16,661.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (It sure doesn't look much like
Paradise on earth, today, thanks to Saddam.)

2. Mesopotamia, which is now Iraq, was the cradle of civilization!

3. Noah built the ark in Iraq.

4. The Tower of Babel was in Iraq.

5. Abraham was from Ur, which is in Southern Iraq!

6. Isaac's wife, Rebekah, is from Nahor which is in Iraq.

7. Jacob met Rachel in Iraq.

8. Jonah preached in Nineveh, which is in Iraq.

9. Assyria, which is in Iraq, conquered the ten tribes of Israel.

10. Amos cried out, in Iraq!

11. Babylon, which is in Iraq, destroyed Jerusalem.

12. Daniel was in the lion's den, in Iraq!

13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire, in Iraq. (That's good
news, to know that JESUS has been in Iraq, too, as the 4th person in the
fiery furnace!)

14. Belshazzar, the King of Babylon saw the "writing on the wall" in Iraq,
which, hopefully, Saddam will, too!)

15. Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, carried the Jews captive into Iraq.

16. Ezekiel preached in Iraq.

17. The wise men were from Iraq. (Where are the "wise" men today?)

18. Peter preached in Iraq.

19. The "Empire of Man", described in Revelation, is called Babylon ~ which was a city in Iraq!

Injured Soldier

Dec 21, 2003
✟1,048.00
Faith
Christian
Xen Antares, Ur is close to Kuwait, but still lies within Iraq. It was a coastal town near the Persian Gulf, but therein lies the problem. The edge of the Persian Gulf has shift SSE I think it is, so where Ur was in 3000BC was by the water, so you're dead right there, but in 2000AD the site is a greater distance from the water. There's a site that deals with a more recent extension of the Shatt al Arab and the receding of the Persian Gulf here: http://members.tripod.com/Al_3irakia/shattal.htm. I'm hoping to be a history and geography teacher in a year or so, but changing of climates and geography through historical time still often trips me up.

seangoh said:
1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (It sure doesn't look much like Paradise on earth, today, thanks to Saddam.)
It wasn't exactly a paradise before Saddam either.

13. The three Hebrew children were in the fire, in Iraq. (That's good
news, to know that JESUS has been in Iraq, too, as the 4th person in the
fiery furnace!)
Technically Jesus before and after his time on Earth has been everywhere. But I guess it's nice to point out! :)

17. The wise men were from Iraq. (Where are the "wise" men today?)
There is another post in this exact forum which says the Magi were Zoroastrians (sp??), which makes it more likely they were from Persia, or modern day Iran.

I got another few tidbits about Iraq. There was no such country called Iraq just 85 years ago, the British controlled the area upon the fall of the Ottoman Empire after WWI. Iraq was a combination of three distinctive provinces of the Ottoman Empire, Mosul in the noth, Baghdad in the centre, Basra in the south. All these provinces had different warring tribes, and unifying them into one country wasn't a good idea. Under the Ottoman Empire, like most of the Middle East, the provinces that make up modern Iraq were the most stable governed in the region's history, a lot better than post-1920 history of Iraq. When the Kurds rose up in the 20s, the British and their puppets suppressed them just as savagely as Saddam ever did. Iraq gained independance in 1932. Later rulers of the country laid claims to terriotory in Kuwait, fought with Iran, and suppressed the Kurds, as well as laid claim to stakes of varying success to dictatorial powers. So despite propaganda to the contrary, Saddam wasn't really anything special brutality or ambition wise in Iraq's short history as a nation. The difference was that in the Iran-Iraq war Saddam was supplied with chemical weapons.

Upvote 0

IrishJohan

Nov 16, 2003
Virginia
Visit site
✟2,911.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sociopath4Jesus said:
20. The authors of Genesis derived their folk tales from Sumerian mythology.
Putting that aside for the moment, the epic of Gilgamesh is indeed one of the best from ancient mythology. Now I'll stand back and watch the fundamentalists stew over your comment above...

Upvote 0

opheiletes

seeking
Nov 9, 2003
Istanbul
✟7,661.00
Faith
Agnostic
No kidding, seriously, the Old Testament is one of the main reasons why I could not get "in tune" with Christianity more (I was on the point of converting not too long ago.)

But the fact that Christians, naturally, take Old Testament seriously (I mean, they really have to, since Jesus fulfilled it) makes me reconsider it all.

I love what I hear in the New Testament, but no offense to those of Jewish faith, the God in Old Testament sounds like the gruffy hateful "jealous" God of the Qu'ran quite a bit. Besides, some stories make so little sense that I can only categorize them as the fancy mythology of a once-insignificant Near Eastern tribe.

Upvote 0

ChristFollowers

God loves all!!!
Jun 27, 2003
Georgia, USA
Visit site
✟622.00
Faith
Judaism
opheiletes said:
No kidding, seriously, the Old Testament is one of the main reasons why I could not get "in tune" with Christianity more (I was on the point of converting not too long ago.)

But the fact that Christians, naturally, take Old Testament seriously (I mean, they really have to, since Jesus fulfilled it) makes me reconsider it all.

I love what I hear in the New Testament, but no offense to those of Jewish faith, the God in Old Testament sounds like the gruffy hateful "jealous" God of the Qu'ran quite a bit. Besides, some stories make so little sense that I can only categorize them as the fancy mythology of a once-insignificant Near Eastern tribe.
WOW......what actually turned me away was the New Testament...lol. It seemed like the New Testament spoke of a different God from the Old Testament. I still love God regardless...but I love the Old Testament. I feel God was punishing the evil ones....and all those innocent people He let die because of what the evil one did....I honestly believe He alloweed the innocent people that died to enter Heaven.

I dont see the Old Testament as God being jealous(at first I did) but now I think those innocent people were better off....They got to enter Heaven!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

opheiletes

seeking
Nov 9, 2003
Istanbul
✟7,661.00
Faith
Agnostic
ChristFollowers said:
WOW......what actually turned me away was the New Testament...lol. It seemed like the New Testament spoke of a different God from the Old Testament. I still love God regardless...but I love the Old Testament. I feel God was punishing the evil ones....and all those innocent people He let die because of what the evil one did....I honestly believe He alloweed the innocent people that died to enter Heaven.

I dont see the Old Testament as God being jealous(at first I did) but now I think those innocent people were better off....They got to enter Heaven!

Hmm ironic, more so since your title reads "God loves ALL" ;)

But honestly speaking, when I read the OT for the first time, it was more like "right, I know all this from the Qu'ran already, what's new?" The New Testament provided just that: a God of Love, a God that cared, a God that was willing to "sacrifice" Itself to save humanity from its sins.

Upvote 0

Zico

Alhamdu Lillahi Rabbil Alameen
Jun 24, 2002
Kuwait
Visit site
✟578.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Injured Soldier

May i add that although Kuwait's independance day is on 2-25-1961, the history of Kuwait goes back to 1752 when our anncesstors elected shaikh Sabah ( Sabah the 1st ) to rule the emirate.

God Bless vbmenu_register("postmenu_1484353", true);

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
stillsmallvoice said:
Very interesting links,ssv.
The image of a devout Muslim entering into the tomb of a Jewish prophet for the purpose of veneration serves to remind us that our three very different religions need not only separate us, but they can serve to bind us together. In these prophets of the Old Testament, all three monotheistic traditions share a common heritage, and a common history.
On the other hand, the fact that there is no longer any living modern Jewish presense at these sites makes for very sad commentary indeed. In Iraq in particular, where there had been a Jewish community from at least the time of the Babylon captivity about two and one half millenia ago, and now there is not even one Jewish rabbi in that country, the inability of moderns to celebrate this shared heritage becomes all too apparent.

Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The image of a devout Muslim entering into the tomb of a Jewish prophet for the purpose of veneration serves to remind us that our three very different religions need not only separate us, but they can serve to bind us together. In these prophets of the Old Testament, all three monotheistic traditions share a common heritage, and a common history
This is very true. Well put!
tulc

Upvote 0

stillsmallvoice

The Narn rule!
May 8, 2002
Maaleh Adumim, Israel
Visit site
✟18,467.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi all!

A few elderly Jews from Iraq, the last remnants of a 2,500-year old Jewish community that numbered 150,000 as recently as 1948 (see http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/anti-semitism/iraqijews.html) recently joined relatives here in Israel, see http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-07-27-iraq-jews-usat_x.htm and http://www.jta.org/page_view_story.asp?intarticleid=13048&intcategoryid=1). There is a Babylonian Jewish Heritage Center (http://www.babylonjewry.org.il/new/english/index.html) here in Israel (in Or Yehuda, a suburb of Tel Aviv).

Solomon & tulc, I hope that Jews and Christians from Israel & around the world will soon be able to make pilgrimages to these holy places again, now that iraq is emerging from its Dark Age under Saddam.

Be well!

ssv :wave:

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
1. The garden of Eden was in Iraq. (It sure doesn't look much like
Paradise on earth, today, thanks to Saddam.)

There is no evidence that the garden of Eden was in the land area now called Iraq. In fact it is more Biblically likely that it was where present day Jerusalem is today, it is not called Gods holy mountain for nothing. Where did you get this info?

Upvote 0