• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Intrusive thought question

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can an intrusive thought make you feel like you agree with it?

I suffer from these awful blaphamous thoughts. A couple came in out of nowhere. They hurt me because they feel angry and like I agree with them! I usually get these when I'm stressed and there feels like pressure building in my head. It's hard to explain

One other person with OCD said it's not yours if you didn't agree with it. All my thoughts feel like that. This makes me feel even more lost.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,749,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I suffer from these awful blaphamous thoughts. A couple came in out of nowhere. They hurt me because they feel angry and like I agree with them! I usually get these when I'm stressed and there feels like pressure building in my head. It's hard to explain

One other person with OCD said it's not yours if you didn't agree with it. All my thoughts feel like that. This makes me feel even more lost.
Intrusive thoughts are no fault of your own and if they make you feel uncomfortable, you obviously have issues with them even if your mind is seeing that POV at the time. You got to worry when you act on them.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟461,426.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Unpopular opinion: i had intrusive thoughts and they stopped after deliverance i did to myself, i 'detected' the source of those thoughts and drove them off. Done, never had intrusive thoughts again, i need to share this because it may help someone, i don't believe these are 'brain chemical imbalances' we know God exists and he is spirit, we know the devil also exists, and we are basically a soul and spirit our body and brain though very important for us to function is not everything like science says.

• Winner
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟344,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your responsible for the thoughts that you entertain and follow after. That’s why the bible says to “think on these things” and to act from the fruit of the Holy Spirit in kindness, etc. Your feelings not agreeing with those thoughts are the pressure you feel to avoid them. Instead of working to avoid them as they pass thru your mind try waiting for the next good thought and entertain that instead.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟461,426.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There ARE brain chemical imbalances just like there is diabetes.

I didn't say chemical imbalance didn't exist, but in my case they were not imbalances, like i said.
There is a lot more than what the pshychiatrists know. And only christians can know of this because they need to have the spirit of God like the bible says to understand spiritual things.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And they can make you feel like you're some special case and the only one who can have these things.

If you think you're the only one who can be invaded and changed into agreeing with something you don't really accept >

In prayer I can be satisfied I should not do some no-no for pleasure, but then things . . . feelings, thoughts . . . can come and change me to accepting doing the thing!

And worry is a pathological liar and very abusive. And people know how cruel worry is, but they keep giving in to it. And so many times we discover how what the worry told us does not happen; yet, again and again we can keep trusting what worry tells us, and we can even obey the worry.

Trust and obey Jesus.

"'Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.'" (Matthew 11:29)

Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@Tania11 ,
  1. Seek care from a competent psychiatrist.
  2. Attend a church that is good at dealing with mental health issues.
The Church & Mental Illness...
Thank you. I like my church. I hope I'm not annoying anyone by asking this. Sometimes it helps to talk to others here on the forum that can understand what you're going through. A psychiatrist isn't on call 24/7 when something nagging you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Intrusive thoughts are no fault of your own and if they make you feel uncomfortable, you obviously have issues with them even if your mind is seeing that POV at the time. You got to worry when you act on them.
Thank you, Mitchie. I think I goofed and fell into the trap of assurance seeking. It's just when the person knew my symptoms and said that, it just about tore me apart and sent me off spiraling. I think I need to just drink some hot tea and try calm down and meditate on God's promises. And I know this can't be a demonic attack since these symptoms show up across the board in non-religious OCD.

Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Your responsible for the thoughts that you entertain and follow after. That’s why the bible says to “think on these things” and to act from the fruit of the Holy Spirit in kindness, etc. Your feelings not agreeing with those thoughts are the pressure you feel to avoid them. Instead of working to avoid them as they pass thru your mind try waiting for the next good thought and entertain that instead.
Thank you for your wisdom.

It's so annoying, I'm not trying to think it. It's like it's always there. I hope this isn't crude but it's like someone laid a nasty stink bomb in my brain and all the nastiness is just sitting there.

Sometimes seeing stories how God delivers people from scrupes, gives me so much hope. I pray that God will show that kind of mercy on me one day.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

I suggest that you read "War on the Saints". It is an in depth explanation of how Satan works and how to deal with the problem.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟1,004,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, that's what makes them so difficult to live with. That's what propels our sense of fear when they occur. Even at heart when we know we don't actually agree with or embrace that bad thought, even just the slightest feeling of doubt will have us in distress, because for a believer, what could be worse than rejecting God's love/rejecting Jesus Christ, and thus being marked for the second death (once again as a side note, I reiterate: that's second death, not eternal life in torment)? And then, the vicious cycle of becoming so afraid that we might seriously embrace the bad thought, thus we seek assurance that our worst fears are not true, thus the bad thought persists, continues.

Believe me, Tania, I went through a hellish cycle of thoughts of doubt on God's love and/or blasphemous sayings against the Holy Spirit once, myself, and it was only be a miracle of God that I was delivered from their torment. I certainly still have OCD in other, various ways, but thankfully not that any longer. I even still have a bad thought appear in my head every now and again, but I am able to deal with it quickly and efficiently now, and it does not persist. I pray that God will deliver you from the same.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tania11
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If you did not choose to think a thought, even a "good" thought, resist it. You can choose to think right thoughts instead. Those thoughts that just drift into the mind are not of you and not of God. It's pretty obvious where they do come from!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,749,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you, Mitchie. I think I goofed and fell into the trap of assurance seeking. It's just when the person knew my symptoms and said that, it just about tore me apart and sent me off spiraling. I think I need to just drink some hot tea and try calm down and meditate on God's promises. And I know this can't be a demonic attack since these symptoms show up across the board in non-religious OCD.
It’s not a demonic attack. As you and I both know, it’s an illness. Not your fault. Just hard to get over that hump. God bless you. Praying for you. *hugs*

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I suggest that you read "War on the Saints". It is an in depth explanation of how Satan works and how to deal with the problem.
Oh, man. Aussie. I think I already know your opinion. But it's really hard to believe that John Bunyan, Martin Luther, Charles Spurgeon and St. Therese of Lisieux were all demon possessed. Plus these symptoms show up across the board in all Pure O OCD.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,940,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Tania11, Satan and his demons are ~very~ good at what they do best, make confessing Christians' lives miserable :( So yes, what they whisper in our ears is said in the most provocative manner possible (and is most often done in concert with our emotions) to get us to believe his lies, rather than God's truth.

For instance, if you have a horrible, sinful thought, the Christian response ~should be~ to either,

1. immediately take that thought "captive" .. 2 Corinthians 10:5 or
2. (if you have allowed the thought to continue and become sinful) confess it to God and trust that He has both forgiven and cleansed you of it, just like He promised us He would do .. 1 John 1:9.​

But with Satan and his minions help, we end up forgetting God's truth and His promises to us amidst our natural, emotional response to such ugly, horrible thoughts, and we start to believe Satan's deceptions/lies instead (that a TRUE Christian would NEVER think such a horrible thought, that such a thought ~must~ be unpardonable somehow, and that, in reality, having such thoughts just proves that we were never Christians to begin with .. when, in fact, it proves just the opposite, because non-Christians are not concerned about such thoughts, only Christians are :preach:).

So, go back to the Cross, remembering everything that God both did and continues to do for you, & rest in the knowledge that, as His adopted daughter, you are loved by Him both from and to everlasting :)

Then go back to His word and prayer and continue to increase your knowledge and understanding of Him, treasuring His word in your heart (so that the Holy Spirit will be able to help you more quickly remember/discern His truth and His promises in opposition to our enemy's deceptions and lies in the heat of the moment, so to speak).

And continue to resist Satan by taking each of those horrible thoughts "captive" as soon as they enter your mind, again and again and again, as necessary, until Satan finally gives up and moves on to easier prey .. 1 Peter 5:8-9.

And of course, remember that the ~only~ reason that you are bothered by these thoughts is ~because~ you're a Christian :amen: (which is, in and of itself, a reason for you to rejoice every time Satan sends one of his flaming arrows your way, yes :)).

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

quote-it-is-not-the-absence-of-sin-but-the-grieving-over-it-which-distinguishes-the-child-arthur-w-pink-70-74-09.jpg

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It’s not a demonic attack. As you and I both know, it’s an illness. Not your fault. Just hard to get over that hump. God bless you. Praying for you. *hugs*
Thank you so much for your prayers, Mitch. I really do need them. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,749,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you so much for your prayers, Mitch. I really do need them. God bless you.
No worries Tania. Remember- God knows your heart. I think you’re good. :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0