Introduction: Skeptic who's happy to have a discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy B

Skeptic whose wife put him up to this...
Jun 15, 2020
Richmond Hill
✟9,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
I guess the story of my faith and later falling out of faith is a long one, but I will try to summarize. My wife is a devout Christian and I was a believer when we got married. For years, we attended a PCA church who professed every week that the Bible was the "inerrant" and "infallible" word of God. Having said that, I had some lingering questions in terms of reconciling a literal belief in the Bible with what science tells us. Basic stuff, like, "where did the dinosaurs come in?" and so on. So, at around 38 yo, I went out confirm that there were good explanations for how to reconcile the accuracy of the Bible with what science has proven. The evidence I got did quite the opposite, and ultimately I fell out of faith. This is very upsetting to my wife, and she acknowledges that I have good questions. She asked me to participate in this forum to engage with apologists who might be better-equipped than her to address my concerns. So, that's my hope. I look forward to the discussion. Thanks for having me...

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the Christian Forums. You've come to the right place. Hope you enjoy the fellowship and discussions here. You can post your questions and participate in the Outreach section or the Discussion & Debate section.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I guess the story of my faith and later falling out of faith is a long one, but I will try to summarize. My wife is a devout Christian and I was a believer when we got married. For years, we attended a PCA church who professed every week that the Bible was the "inerrant" and "infallible" word of God.

I can imagine. I think various fundamentalist Christians can paint themselves into a corner based on terms like that. It is one thing to believe the Bible is inspired, but some of those labels are very impressive sounding, to the point of almost making the Bible itself a kind of god etc.

This guy gives a good survey of various views of scripture from traditional Christians.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for welcoming me. For some reason, my current permissions won't allow me to post in the outreach section...any ideas?

Yes check various boards your interested in. Some of them you got to request access from the folks that run the given board, and often you need to post that you agree that you have read and understand the terms of service/ specific area rules in a specific thread that is thumb tacked.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks. I saw that, but I'm not able to post in the thread to agree to the terms...

You get certain permissions granted via number of posts etc. so you may need to rack up a few of those. You got certain security things like that, that are designed to deal with bots, spammers and so on. So just hang in there, and post where you can.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for welcoming me. For some reason, my current permissions won't allow me to post in the outreach section...any ideas?
The Outreach section has several forums. Have you tried to post in Exploring Christianity Forum? Also there are several forums in the Discussion & Debate section. The Statements of Purpose for the forums help to select the appropriate forum. Your question would be suitable for the Physical & Life Sciences Forum. If you still have problems you can send a ticket by selecting Support from the top menu.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can imagine. I think various fundamentalist Christians can paint themselves into a corner based on terms like that. It is one thing to believe the Bible is inspired, but some of those labels are very impressive sounding, to the point of almost making the Bible itself a kind of god etc.

This guy gives a good survey of various views of scripture from traditional Christians.
The PCA is not a fundamentalist church.

Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hopeful37

Mar 20, 2020
Somewhere
✟49,318.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess the story of my faith and later falling out of faith is a long one, but I will try to summarize. My wife is a devout Christian and I was a believer when we got married. For years, we attended a PCA church who professed every week that the Bible was the "inerrant" and "infallible" word of God. Having said that, I had some lingering questions in terms of reconciling a literal belief in the Bible with what science tells us. Basic stuff, like, "where did the dinosaurs come in?" and so on. So, at around 38 yo, I went out confirm that there were good explanations for how to reconcile the accuracy of the Bible with what science has proven. The evidence I got did quite the opposite, and ultimately I fell out of faith. This is very upsetting to my wife, and she acknowledges that I have good questions. She asked me to participate in this forum to engage with apologists who might be better-equipped than her to address my concerns. So, that's my hope. I look forward to the discussion. Thanks for having me...
Hello Flanders,

:wave:(I see you're a Simpson's fan)

They did find the remnants of Noah's ark with science technology and the chariots that was destroyed in the red sea...the same sea that God parted and caused the Israelites to walk thru. :sorry:

I hope u find the answers you're looking for. I'm not an apologist but I used to watch alot of th Discovery and History channels growing up.

As for the Dinosaurs...hmmm
God created animals before man and also the Bible says one day is as a 1000 yrs...we could speculate that God took a week to bring creation into being or maybe several thousand years? The issue here for me is God is real and the minor details shouldn't skew our belief and love for Him.

Do u know God plays with a Leviathan as a bird? Amazing huh!? That's in Job. There is a vast majority of the sea undiscovered. We dont have the technology to go to great depths. God is no fable and neither are the stories. It was placed in the Bible to help us understand Him.

But what do i know. I don't claim to be wise. I'm no apologist. Again:doh: Hope u don't find me rude. I'm not trying to be.

Hope someone else might just answer your questions.

God speed!

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Hello and welcome to the forum ... may you make many friends.

so you state you fell out of the faith ... so ... that's meaning you believe now in evolution? Based on what science theorizes, in that regard (ie how life began).

Anyway ... welcome ... and look foreword to your posts ... as you spend time here you will gain more access.

Upvote 0

Randy B

Skeptic whose wife put him up to this...
Jun 15, 2020
Richmond Hill
✟9,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all of your replies.

Hopeful37,
Can you please site your source on Noah's ark having been found? That would be very helpful.
Where in the Bible does it say one day is a thousand years? Furthermore, a few thousand years does not account for the difference between a 6,000-10,000 year old earth (as young earth creationists believe) to a 4.5 billion year old earth as is the general consensus in modern science.

eloes1954,
Yes, I absolutely believe evolution took place. There is abundant evidence for it. The word "theory" as it is used in science should not be confused with way it's used in modern vernacular. A scientific theory is tested, peer-reviewed, and proven, i.e. the theory of gravity and the germ theory.

From Wikipedia:
A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested and verified in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For years, we attended a PCA church who professed every week that the Bible was the "inerrant" and "infallible" word of God. Having said that, I had some lingering questions in terms of reconciling a literal belief in the Bible with what science tells us. Basic stuff, like, "where did the dinosaurs come in?" and so on.

The PCA, to the best of my knowledge, includes both 6-day creationists and theistic evolutionists. It has no official position one way or the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome Randy B.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks again for the welcomes from everyone. Just to mention, beyond the science questions, my research has resulted in some significant philosophical questions as well...
There’s a forum for that too.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks again for the welcomes from everyone. Just to mention, beyond the science questions, my research has resulted in some significant philosophical questions as well...

There are several forums to ask questions.

If you want to tell us Christians how wrong we are, there are options too, but they're not open to brand-new members.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.