aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
(Disclaimer: I am not well versed enough to understand the aspects of humanism and have not read perhaps enough outside material to really understand the issue. Feel free to point me out to links where others and I may find out more about any issues we are discussing.)

All atheists believe, as I understand, that morality can be developed without the need for religion as part of their reject of religion. How are morals determined however, without a "religion?" Isn't what is right or wrong totally dependent on our definitions and what the populous believes?

Let's use this definition of Religion from the Random House Unabridged dictionary:
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

Atheism is not well-defined, but wouldn't, as a group, atheist agree on what is moral or immoral and what should be legal or illegal?

As part of my religion murder is immoral. By what virtue would an atheist or group of atheists determine the same except through accepting it as true? Isn't that what "truth" is?

Thank you for your ideas, your time, and most of all your respect toward others.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
If I take something from you, it bothers you. It doesn't belong to me. It makes you feel that anything of yours could be taken. It feels like a violation against you.

I don't have to run to the Bible to find out if stealing is wrong.

People don't lie, not because "God says not to", but why he says not to - because people stop trusting you, they will think that everything you say is potentially a lie. They will think you a liar, so, when you are crying "wolf!" for real, they will say, "yeah, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me," and the wolf will eat you.

There is a consequence for the things that we think are "right" or "wrong."

If one thinks that you need the bible or religion to know these things, then it's like your grown children insisting that one needs to consult your parents about how late they can stay up, when they have kids of their own. They know that if you stay up late, you will pay for it the next day. Kids don't.

I think that atheists simply listen to their conscience, and have figured out that "morality" is what doesn't harm myself and others, but helps myself and others. So, while people flip through the bible, looking for loopholes of how to commit a sin but be justified, or how to accuse others with outdated laws, like Leviticus (which would condemn everyone eating at Red Lobster), they are not looking to it for morality, but to try to make their version of morality somehow justified as God's morality.

In a sense, "Licensed to Kill" began in May 1977, when the young filmmaker was attacked by gay-bashers in the Castro district of San Francisco. Dong escaped by jumping on the hood of a passing car. The bashers then turned their attentions to a priest, who was beaten so badly that the incident made the local papers.

"Anita Bryant was in full glory," said Dong. "She was the first figurehead the religious right had in their fight against homosexuals. No one was thinking of anti-gay violence at that time, and I think it took people by surprise. The terrible thing is that it's gotten much worse. It's a desperate situation."

In addition to interviews with the convicted men, the film includes clips from "The 700 Club" and other televangelist shows that promote condemnation of homosexuals.

"We were looking for a variety of motivations," he said. "We also didn't stay in one place." The killers came from New York, Texas, Minnesota, North Carolina, Illinois and Connecticut.

One of the killers talks about the televangelists' influence on his attitudes. Others have more personal reasons. One particularly articulate convict, Jay Johnson, doesn't try to hide his own homosexuality. One particularly articulate convict, Jay Johnson, doesn't try to hide his own homosexuality.

Mr. Dong has a special gift for creating a safe space in which all of the people he interviews can be open about who they are and what they believe. Sometimes they reveal more than they realize, as we see in all three films through the subtleties of body and eye movements. One of the most fascinating supplemental features is, on Licensed to Kill, an extensive follow-up interview with gay serial killer Jay Johnson conducted after he had seen the finished film. Johnson, who is himself gay, was raised in a devout fundamentalist home where homosexuality was viewed as evil and the Bible as infallible. We see his new self-understanding (he says that he has learned to take the Bible less literally in its condemnation of gay people) mingled with his continuing discomfort – some would say disconnection – with himself. Without any commentary, Mr. Dong has presented a stark, yet profoundly human, portrait of one of homophobia's most terrible victims: The man so divided against himself that he could both seek out other men for sex and then murder them. Yet there is nothing melodramatic, or even especially sinister, about the affable Jay Johnson we meet; he seems just another "nice young man" who once had political aspirations. Mr. Dong lets him present himself in all of his complexity, even as he tacitly compels us viewers to try to unravel the dimensions – the psychological/sociological/moral mystery – of this "nice" self-loathing murderer.
http://jclarkmedia.com/film/filmreviewdongdocumentaries.html

I lived in Minneapolis then. It was very scary. Gay men were being targeted and killed. The documentary interviews Jay. He was gay, but told that it was evil. So, he was torn about his natural feelings, and what he felt was temptation. So, his idea to remedy the situation? Kill gay people. Make them afraid to be so easily available in cruising places. Take away the temptation.

He was justifying murder, and at the time, even looking to Leviticus to think that God was ok with it.

Upvote 0
T

Tenka

aigiginf said:
All atheists believe, as I understand, that morality can be developed without the need for religion as part of their reject of religion. How are morals determined however, without a "religion?" Isn't what is right or wrong totally dependent on our definitions and what the populous believes?
Religion is simply the thing that gives authority and coherence to the moral system, a reason for the rules.
Killing, raping, stealing...all bad right? Only when you do it inside your group...almost every culture has allowed it done to another. Is slavery right or wrong? Segregation? Eugenics?
All depends on where and when you live.
Atheism is not well-defined
People who don't believe in any gods.
Atheism is not well-defined, but wouldn't, as a group, atheist agree on what is moral or immoral and what should be legal or illegal?
If you took an atheist from 13th century Japan, another from today's Germany and another from 40 000 years ago there might be precious few agreements.
As part of my religion murder is immoral. By what virtue would an atheist or group of atheists determine the same except through accepting it as true? Isn't that what "truth" is?
Whats a 'murder'? I think you'll find for the best part of it's history most Christians would only have objected to the killing of like minded Christians.

To answer your question, killing a productive member of our group makes our group weaker....you can define 'our group' as family, tribe, nation, or all humanity.
Thank you for your ideas, your time, and most of all your respect toward others.
Thank you for starting an honest, respectful thread.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
(

And yet, a Christian started a thread, asking if burning Sodomites alive was love, and claims that it wasn't murder at all.

Your religion tells you Thou Shalt Not Kill, and yet, we are killing 100s of thousands of people in the Iraq War. But that's not "killing." It's collateral damage. Or it's war, so it's justified. Or people look to the bible with David bragging about killing 10,000 enemies.

The atheist can only ask, "Is killing right?" and must search his own heart.

A religious person may search the bible, use it as a legal document, and try to justify their immorality, or what they know in their heart is wrong.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Because very few of us are brought up in a vacuum, we assimilate our morality from the society in which we live. In as much as almost every North American and European society is predominately Christian, this is the prevailing influence that shapes how we relate to others. This isn't to say that other societies dominated by other religions have very different sets of morals, but they will likely vary to some small degree or another. So, almost no one starts out assembling their morals from scratch. And, of course, as individuals we may consciously deviate from the morals we were raised with.

Upvote 0

God-free

One of many moral atheists
May 23, 2008
Earth
✟8,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: WatersMoon110
Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
You don't need religion to realise that killing/stealing etc is normally extremely counter productive for society, and so should be illegal.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
The difference between the denotation of “religion” above, and the connotation of “religion” is that the connotation is that a religion typically has a “higher power,” some sort of religious texts, and “poster children” if you will.

Doesn’t Atheism fit this paradigm?

If I understand you, an act that is counter-productive for society should be illegal. Tobacco use has been linked to lung cancer among other health issues. This may cause a contributing member of society to die prematurely. Shouldn’t it be outlawed? This is the clash of the rights of the whole as opposed to the rights of the individual. Society defines what is counter-productive and would create a de facto secular “religion” without non-secular “religion.”

If I take something from you, it bothers you. It doesn't belong to me. It makes you feel that anything of yours could be taken. It feels like a violation against you.
Should “victimless” crimes be legal?

People don't lie, not because "God says not to", but why he says not to - because people stop trusting you, they will think that everything you say is potentially a lie. They will think you a liar, so, when you are crying "wolf!" for real, they will say, "yeah, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me," and the wolf will eat you.

There is a consequence for the things that we think are "right" or "wrong."
"Morality" is what doesn't harm myself and others, but helps myself and others.
Don’t the morals society comes up with or we come up individually come down to two things? That is, the consequences the act will have on us and whether we would want the consequences we would cause on others by that act? Can something be wrong even if there are no “negative” consequences as defined by a given religion (or society)?

Religion is simply the thing that gives authority and coherence to the moral system, a reason for the rules.
Killing, raping, stealing...all bad right? Only when you do it inside your group...almost every culture has allowed it done to another. Is slavery right or wrong? Segregation? Eugenics?
All depends on where and when you live.
Whats a 'murder'? I think you'll find for the best part of it's history most Christians would only have objected to the killing of like minded Christians.
Isn’t this a human flaw though? If we start out with a secular ruled world we would most likely have laws. We would have to support these laws with reason. We would then have a set of principals that are behind the rules that are generally agreed upon, and would therefore have a religion.

In general for the best part of history we’ll find that most people would only object to the killing of like-minded people.

Your religion tells you Thou Shalt Not Kill, and yet, we are killing 100s of thousands of people in the Iraq War. But that's not "killing." It's collateral damage. Or it's war, so it's justified. Or people look to the bible with David bragging about killing 10,000 enemies.
My understanding is that the translation is supposed to be “Thou shalt not murder.” Murder is also a society defined abstraction. Is there anything that can be intrinsically defined? I can’t think of anything. The best form of government I can think of was one that is ruled by one being that is infallible. Since this is not possible, we settle things by democracy. Doesn’t this mean that all human ideas religion (if you are atheistic), morals, etc. are glorified “wikiality?”
The atheist can only ask, "Is killing right?" and must search his own heart.

A religious person may search the bible, use it as a legal document, and try to justify their immorality, or what they know in their heart is wrong.
The atheist and the religious person may be using different media, but isn’t their justification up to themselves in their flawed human condition?

Here are a couple of short articles that I think explain pretty well how we (all people) determine what is moral or immoral. Atheists simply find that religion is not necessary to make these determinations.
Thank you for the links. However, why isn’t Atheism a “religion?”

People who don't believe in any gods.
If you took an atheist from 13th century Japan, another from today's Germany and another from 40 000 years ago there might be precious few agreements.
A Christian is strictly not much more than someone who believes in God and in Christ, and that both are divine. What Christians believe though, is debated among the different groups of Christians. On CF we have an agreed upon definition of Christian. There may be few agreements between Christian groups.

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
What does atheism share with the widely-agreed-upon religions?
What doesn't Atheism share with other religions, other than the lack of a physical God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

God-free

May 23, 2008
Earth
✟8,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the links. However, why isn’t Atheism a “religion?”
Because atheism is nothing more than the non-belief in god(s). Some would say it is the belief that there is no god but I wouldn't (see my sig). There is no fundamental set of beliefs and practices. There is no belief system, no doctrines or tenets, no house of non-worship. Atheism doesn't dictate how anyone should live their lives or tell people what is right or wrong. Atheism has no supernatural/higher power to believe in or revere. Atheism is not religion.

~Barbara

Upvote 0

truthshift

Bring it on
Nov 6, 2008
Phoenix
✟15,490.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(Disclaimer: I am not well versed enough to understand the aspects of humanism and have not read perhaps enough outside material to really understand the issue. Feel free to point me out to links where others and I may find out more about any issues we are discussing.)

Let's use this definition of Religion from the Random House Unabridged dictionary:

The person in this video does a fantastic job of explaining this, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYcUP7M2n10

As long as humans can handle the concept of future consequences, morals will be naturally understood.

Think of all the other billions of people who never grew up with the bible; never even heard of the bible. Do you think that they go about on wanton sprees of murder, theft, and rape because they don't know any better?

We don't need something like the bible to state the obvious and then claim it was the source.

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Because atheism is nothing more than the non-belief in god(s). Some would say it is the belief that there is no god but I wouldn't (see my sig). There is no fundamental set of beliefs and practices. There is no belief system, no doctrines or tenets, no house of non-worship. Atheism doesn't dictate how anyone should live their lives or tell people what is right or wrong. Atheism has no supernatural/higher power to believe in or revere. Atheism is not religion.

I'm sorry, I think I've set up this discussion to be fatality flawed. Perhaps that has been a major failing point of most Christian/Atheist discussions...all such discussions are similar to a Humanist/Theist discussion. If Atheism is not a religion because
There is no belief system, no doctrines or tenets, no house of non-worship. Atheism doesn't dictate how anyone should live their lives or tell people what is right or wrong....
then Theism is not a religion.

Logically:

Theism is the belief that there is a God; Atheism is the belief there isn't a God. Theism may be divided into several distinctions that meet the definition of a religion. Atheism may be divided into several distinctions which meet the definition of a religion (at least the denotation if not the connotation).

Examples:

Theism

Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc.

Atheism

Secular Humanism, Naturalism, Jainism, Buddhism (In some cases)

I think the average atheist meets the following definition of humanism (Again, from the random house unabridged dictionary):

variety of ethical theory and practice that emphasizes reason, scientific inquiry, and human fulfillment in the natural world and often rejects the importance of belief in God.

Which meets our predefined definition of religion

As long as humans can handle the concept of future consequences, morals will be naturally understood.

Think of all the other billions of people who never grew up with the bible; never even heard of the bible. Do you think that they go about on wanton sprees of murder, theft, and rape because they don't know any better?

We don't need something like the bible to state the obvious and then claim it was the source.

I did not mean to imply that the Bible is the authority on morality. Or even those without a religion recognized outside the locus of their beliefs were without morals. What I am trying to share is that Atheism and Theism are not that different. Religion, whether with or without a God, is necessary for human survival. I believe there is a God who I may contact and ask for help, but mostly for help in changing myself. I also believe that this God has control over the Earth as outlined in the Bible. This is not important to our discussion though. Theism is simply the belief that there is a God (in most cases Theism asserts that God is in control in some way) and Atheism is simply the belief there are no (G)god(s) (which in most cases assert that humans are in control).

Maybe if we realized that Theism and Atheism aren't so different, we could work together better, like was mentioned in your video (Thanks for posting that by the way, all material is welcome).

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It's all theoretical, as there has never been a fully atheistic society to take an example from. Every society that has ever existed has based its morals, in on way shape or form, in the divine or spiritualistic ideals.
I don't think that's quite a fair way to look at it. We've had anecdotal fully theistic societies and anecdotal fully atheistic societies. What I think you're talking about is a society without the influence of divine or spiritualistic ideals in anyway. In the same way, we've never had a society in which there wasn't Atheistic or Humanist influence (i.e. doubt). One does not need a petri dish however, to extrapolate.

What I've said however, is that the sub-sets of Theism and Atheism are both religious. The only difference being that one maintains the existence and influence of a God or gods on their ideals and practices and the other does not. In the end, there's not as big of difference as we may believe.

Edit:

I was going to comment on this above, but I forgot. God-free mentioned her siggy....
I never use the 'report post' button. I'm a grown-up!
When you joined CF you agreed with the TOS (Terms of Service). This means you subscribed to our society and said that you agreed with the rules. Isn't it your duty then to try to maintain the integrity of those rules by reporting posts that violate them?

Just a thought. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HighwayMan

Aug 7, 2007
✟17,617.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that's quite a fair way to look at it. We've had anecdotal fully theistic societies and anecdotal fully atheistic societies. What I think you're talking about is a society without the influence of divine or spiritualistic ideals in anyway. In the same way, we've never had a society in which there wasn't Atheistic or Humanist influence (i.e. doubt). One does not need a petri dish however, to extrapolate.

What I've said however, is that the sub-sets of Theism and Atheism are both religious. The only difference being that one maintains the existence and influence of a God or gods on their ideals and practices and the other does not. In the end, there's not as big of difference as we may believe.

Can you name some? Because I haven't heard about any. Keep in mind though that by "atheistic" I mean a complete rejection of the divine or the beyond, not just a certain God or Gods. From what I know, even the most ancient peoples had spirituality in some form.

Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Can you name some? Because I haven't heard about any. Keep in mind though that by "atheistic" I mean a complete rejection of the divine or the beyond, not just a certain God or Gods. From what I know, even the most ancient peoples had spirituality in some form.

I said anecdotal. The only societies I think we could honestly say 100% were true Theists were those that were small clans are thus anecdotal. Any group larger than that would have dealt with at least the ideals of there not being a God in some form. It is therefore not reasonable to disregard the actions of similarly Atheist society that was not anecdotal because they also had the influence of thoughts of Theism in some form.

(Random fact: Are you aware that Albania is (Or at least was between 1967 and 1990) officially an Atheist state?) There probably no ancient Atheistic groups (maybe this should tell us something). Any such Atheistic society would be the approximate the size of the Anecdotal completely Theistic groups. We've had no records if such groups existed until recently. Those records we do have are of recent groups, and to my knowledge only online groups.

Upvote 0

God-free

May 23, 2008
Earth
✟8,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm sorry, I think I've set up this discussion to be fatality flawed. Perhaps that has been a major failing point of most Christian/Atheist discussions...all such discussions are similar to a Humanist/Theist discussion. If Atheism is not a religion because
There is no belief system, no doctrines or tenets, no house of non-worship. Atheism doesn't dictate how anyone should live their lives or tell people what is right or wrong...
then Theism is not a religion.
I agree. Theism, alone, is not a religion just like atheism, alone, is not a religion.

Logically:

Theism is the belief that there is a God; Atheism is the belief there isn't a God. Theism may be divided into several distinctions that meet the definition of a religion. Atheism may be divided into several distinctions which meet the definition of a religion (at least the denotation if not the connotation).

Examples:

Theism

Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc.

Atheism

Secular Humanism, Naturalism, Jainism, Buddhism (In some cases)

I think the average atheist meets the following definition of humanism (Again, from the random house unabridged dictionary):
variety of ethical theory and practice that emphasizes reason, scientific inquiry, and human fulfillment in the natural world and often rejects the importance of belief in God.

Which meets our predefined definition of religion
Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Atheism means "I don't believe god(s) exist". There's nothing more to atheism than that.

~Barbara

Upvote 0

God-free

May 23, 2008
Earth
✟8,759.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Edit:

I was going to comment on this above, but I forgot. God-free mentioned her siggy....When you joined CF you agreed with the TOS (Terms of Service). This means you subscribed to our society and said that you agreed with the rules. Isn't it your duty then to try to maintain the integrity of those rules by reporting posts that violate them?

Just a thought. :)
When I said "see my sig" I was referring to the Q & A portion. Anyway, I don't use the 'report post' button because I understand that discussions can become heated sometimes. That's just the nature of the beast. However, I have observed an over-usage of the 'report post' button that results in the closing of threads for what I perceive to be the result of hurt feelings. If folks can't stand to have their views or beliefs questioned/challenged then they shouldn't post them. In fact, I'd bet money that a lot of posts are reported by people who are not even participating in the discussion. That's just wrong.

~Barbara

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aigiqinf

Senior Veteran
Mar 5, 2006
✟14,396.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Theism, alone, is not a religion just like atheism, alone, is not a religion.

Sorry, I just don't agree with this. Atheism means "I don't believe god(s) exist". There's nothing more to atheism than that.

~Barbara

So you would say that none of: Nontheism, Antireligion, Antitheism, Humanism, Mataphysical naturalism, Implicit and explicit (Or weak or strong) atheism, or any derivatives thereof describe what you believe in?

I don't use the 'report post' button because I understand that discussions can become heated sometimes. That's just the nature of the beast. However, I have observed an over-usage of the 'report post' button that results in the closing of threads for what I perceive to be the result of hurt feelings. If folks can't stand to have their views or beliefs questioned/challenged then they shouldn't post them. In fact, I'd bet money that a lot of posts are reported by people who are not even participating in the discussion. That's just wrong.

But if a lot of people complain about it then don't a good portion of people believe that it shouldn't remain open? Okay sorry, I don't think I can continue discussing this without bringing moderator actions into the discussion, so I'll have to drop that subject. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.