Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have noticed a strong influx of interfaith unity within the Baptist community. My aunt told me yesterday that our old church read a few passages out of the Qu'ran during a sermon; and my current church is heavily involved in the interfaith community.

If Jesus is the only way to God...what is our angle? Is anyone involved in interfaith communities that can shed some light on the purpose and implications of such a thing?

ohhcuppycakee

Nov 12, 2011
✟7,780.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
leave that church NOW. Jesus is the only way. Pastors and churches that allow this to happen are trying to make converts by being politically correct and accept everyone.

What's wrong with interfaith stuff...? Isn't it good to understand other faiths to create peace on earth...?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
leave that church NOW. Jesus is the only way. Pastors and churches that allow this to happen are trying to make converts by being politically correct and accept everyone.

girlfriend is the pastor's sister, I keep my eyes on the forest and not the trees ;) I teach a Sunday school class there as well, so I have the youth counting on me. I'm the black sheep of my liberal church. ^_^

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with interfaith stuff...? Isn't it good to understand other faiths to create peace on earth...?

Christians believe in the Holy Scriptures which was given to us by God. The Holy Scriptures outline God's requirements for us. Other religions have their own belief system. Christians are to worship God in accordance with His requirements for worship, not the requirements of other belief systems.

Read the Book of Revelations. Does that Book tell us that peace will be brought about by people joining together in a worldwide sing-along-manner with everyone joining in?

Don't get me wrong. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if people would just get along. It simply isn't going to happen. Look at the history of mankind since history began being recorded. "understanding" the belief systems of others won't work.

Upvote 0

tawnde

Aug 28, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth
✟15,186.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have noticed a strong influx of interfaith unity within the Baptist community. My aunt told me yesterday that our old church read a few passages out of the Qu'ran during a sermon; and my current church is heavily involved in the interfaith community.

If Jesus is the only way to God...what is our angle? Is anyone involved in interfaith communities that can shed some light on the purpose and implications of such a thing?

What exactly do you mean when you say your church is involved in the interfaith community? Does your church consider other religions just a different way to God?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not that I am aware of. Interfaith community is (from my personal experiences only) the gathering of different faiths to worship God in their own way under one roof. Imams, rabbis, priests, and pastors all preach in a way that all can identify with God based on their own faiths. Ex: God is good and His will is just. <-- all faiths can agree with this. They talk about their own cultures and histories, but not in an indoctrinating way. It's more of an "awareness" thing. I think learning about other cultures and faiths is fine, but those who attempt to pull us from Christ be shown the Truth and believe on the Son!

If the phrase: "Pathways [plural] to God" is ever used at my church...I'm leaving. You can bet my word on that! :)

Upvote 0

tawnde

Aug 28, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth
✟15,186.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Not that I am aware of. Interfaith community is (from my personal experiences only) the gathering of different faiths to worship God in their own way under one roof. Imams, rabbis, priests, and pastors all preach in a way that all can identify with God based on their own faiths. Ex: God is good and His will is just. <-- all faiths can agree with this. They talk about their own cultures and histories, but not in an indoctrinating way. It's more of an "awareness" thing. I think learning about other cultures and faiths is fine, but those who attempt to pull us from Christ be shown the Truth and believe on the Son!

If the phrase: "Pathways [plural] to God" is ever used at my church...I'm leaving. You can bet my word on that! :)
I don't think this is good. We should love people of other faiths, but we have to recognize that Christ is the only way. The only way to the father is through Christ. We should be telling them about Christ and praying that they come to know Christ. If we worship with them, it seems like we're giving them the OK to not worship Christ.

I knew Unitarian churches worshiped this way, I didn't realize this was going on in Baptist churches, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think this is good. We should love people of other faiths, but we have to recognize that Christ is the only way. The only way to the father is through Christ. We should be telling them about Christ and praying that they come to know Christ. If we worship with them, it seems like we're giving them the OK to not worship Christ.

I knew Unitarian churches worshiped this way, I didn't realize this was going on in Baptist churches, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Apostasy is becoming common in all churches now.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I can completely see where you are coming from. Yep, two Baptist churches I've been to were involved in such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The SBC I'm doesn't have a lady preacher reading a koran but he does say all the time about how it doesn't matter what denomination you belong to as long as they believe the bible and you love Jesus and serve Him~~he's said on a number of occasions that if you do not agree with the "program" then move on to a church where you'd fit in.

It kinda struck me as odd that he's not real adamant on baptist distinctives but I think he maybe sees a bigger picture~he's also a police dept chaplain and involved with some other groups that are Christian interfaith --he definitely not do muslim stuff in church though.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, what do you think about it? Are Muslims and Jews worshiping at your church?

No we were at another church...but this type of "activity" seems to be supported by the church leadership.

Upvote 0

busdriver72

Oct 16, 2011
Good ol' Texas!
✟7,889.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I got into a conversation with a nice Muslim young man a good while back at a Sam's store. He told me that he believed in Jesus as a great teacher of truth. I said "Really? You do?" He said "Oh, yes, Jesus was a great teacher of truth." When asked what Jesus taught, the man did not know. I asked "Since you do not know or read what he taught, then saying you believe in Him as a great teacher doesn't mean much, does it?" He laughed and said "I guess not." I then said "One thing that Jesus did teach was is that He said He was the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one can come to God except through Him...do you believe Him?"
He paused and looked at me a long time. He finally said "I see what you mean." Then he walked away.
Understanding other faiths is one thing....but for so-called Christians to affirm other faiths which deny the core truths of Christianity is hypocrisy and self- contradicting. It devalues the gospel.
How could I affirm another religion that is contrary to Christ and the gospel and then tell them they need Christ as Lord and Savior.
The Bible, for those who read and believe it, understand that there will be no true peace on earth until the return of Christ.
I don't believe the Qu'ran teaches that understanding all religions will bring peace on earth either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tawnde

Aug 28, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth
✟15,186.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I got into a conversation with a nice Muslim young man a good while back at a Sam's store. He told me that he believed in Jesus as a great teacher of truth. I said "Really? You do?" He said "Oh, yes, Jesus was a great teacher of truth." When asked what Jesus taught, the man did not know. I asked "Since you do not know or read what he taught, then saying you believe in Him as a great teacher doesn't mean much, does it?" He laughed and said "I guess not." I then said "One thing that Jesus did teach was is that He said He was the way, the truth, and the life, and that no one can come to God except through Him...do you believe Him?"
He paused and looked at me a long time. He finally said "I see what you mean." Then he walked away.
Understanding other faiths is one thing....but for so-called Christians to affirm other faiths which deny the core truths of Christianity is hypocrisy and self- contradicting. It devalues the gospel.
How could I affirm another religion that is contrary to Christ and the gospel and then tell them they need Christ as Lord and Savior.
The Bible, for those who read and believe it, understand that there will be no true peace on earth until the return of Christ.
I don't believe the Qu'ran teaches that understand all religions will bring peace on earth either.

I agree with this.

I think probably the reason why he says Jesus is a good teacher is because the Qu'ran recognizes Jesus as a great prophet, second to Mohammed I believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DCJazz

Doctor Coffee
Dec 15, 2010
Idaho, USA
✟8,425.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Because it's impossible for humans to do such a thing, for one.
Two, I'd rather have the peace that passeth all understanding, than a temporary peace on earth.
I don't believe in the Qu'ran as the word of God. So why place my faith into something that is of man?

Upvote 0

torcot

Jan 13, 2010
✟8,009.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
girlfriend is the pastor's sister, I keep my eyes on the forest and not the trees I teach a Sunday school class there as well, so I have the youth counting on me. I'm the black sheep of my liberal church
I don't care if you are the PASTOR of the Church, leave. Let the Church know why you are leaving as well. Inform the youth you deal with that the church is going in a very WRONG direction.

If the phrase: "Pathways [plural] to God" is ever used at my church...I'm leaving. You can bet my word on that!

The problem is that they are not worshiping God. Unless they come to worship God through Christ then they are saying empty nothings to the sky. God can only be approached in his son Jesus Christ and through the atoning blood of the Cross, there is no other way to worship God.

If your pastor is not preaching in a way that would insult the Muslims and Rabbi's then he isn't preaching the Gospel. Jews believe Jesus was no more than a Jew, Muslims believe he was no more than a prophet. If he is preaching the gospel then they should be getting up and leaving half way through the service.

I say this again, leave that church.

Upvote 0

torcot

Jan 13, 2010
✟8,009.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

It is good to understand them, even to learn what they believe. But Jesus is the son of God, and he is the only way to eternal life with the Father in Heaven. This will likely cause a rift between us on an internet forum, can you imagine what it would do if we were in the same room in one building each claiming to be the only way? Each claiming to have the only truth? Each claiming the other has perverted God's word?

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If you are a Christian and you really believe your post here. could you explain what Jesus meant in this verse??

Luke 12:51
51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
KJV

to me Jesus said that there would be wars and rumors of wars in the last days. we are to love our enemies as well as our neighbors, but do we love our enemies by letting them defile the House of God and let them worship their false gods in the Holy House of our God. the great commandment was to love God then love our neighbor, however a neighbor was defined as the good samaritian, someone who would help us, not someone who who bring harm to us by showing their way, that by the way contradicts Jesus Himself as He says that He is the way!! all religion can not be the same there are not many ways unto the Father/God!! if Jesus was true( and I believe He was) when He said that no man cometh unto the Father except by Him, and the Bible teaches that whosoever calleth upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. then all religions that deny the Deity of Jesus as the Christ/God, are not of God and can not possible get to Heaven to be with God, except the Jews, which are beloved concerning the elect's sake. 1 John if any deny that the Christ as come in the flesh then they are of the anti-christ, then if we believe that this is the basic teachings of the Bible then all religion will not lead us to heaven and all religions can not be the same!

Upvote 0

ohhcuppycakee

Nov 12, 2011
✟7,780.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I agree with this.

I think probably the reason why he says Jesus is a good teacher is because the Qu'ran recognizes Jesus as a great prophet, second to Mohammed I believe.

Yes, you are right. Jesus (AS) is considered the Messiah (but not like in the Christian sense), the chosen one, to come again to earth in the end times. Muslims believe in immaculate conception. They believe he peformed miracles. They believe his body ascended to heaven and that he wasn't crucified. A few similarities, but major differences as well.

Reactions: razeontherock
Upvote 0