Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering if twerking was a fad or a dance that does have its own history yet some people wish it were a fad.

There is evidence that twerking is part of a series of African rituals, but as it appears in US culture, it was specifically introduced into general American pop culture by Beyonce by way of her hometown association with New Orleans street dancing.

I suspect it will be a fad. The next generation after the Millennials will come up with their own dance fad, and it's too inconsequential for the Millennials to continue beyond their 40s.

If it were a dance of significant skill, some people would continue it for that reason even as the umbrella of ballroom dancing has incorporated the former fad dances of foxtrot and swing. But that's not going to happen.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Twerking was and is used in sex education rituals, which is why I mentioned sex education and sexual confidence in my fisrt post.

Twerking: White American’s fad or an ancient African tradition? | The TSU Herald – The official student newspaper of Texas Southern University since 1948. – www.thetsuherald.com

The writer of the linked article is put off about the fad version of twerking. With twerking choreographed into hip-hop performances, the fad may pass but twerking will not.

Our traditions become new popularized fads with white audiences and often become exploited as they are recognized as entertainment rather than being considered culturally significant.

In fact, twerking, the African American form of gyrating one’s body in isolated movements, has its roots in Africa.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is evidence that twerking is part of a series of African rituals, but as it appears in US culture, it was specifically introduced into general American pop culture by Beyonce by way of her hometown association with New Orleans street dancing.

I suspect it will be a fad. The next generation after the Millennials will come up with their own dance fad, and it's too inconsequential for the Millennials to continue beyond their 40s.

If it were a dance of significant skill, some people would continue it for that reason even as the umbrella of ballroom dancing has incorporated the former fad dances of foxtrot and swing. But that's not going to happen.

Twerking is an important part of African history and will continue to be expressed through hip-hop.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Twerking was and is used in sex education rituals, which is why I mentioned sex education and sexual confidence in my fisrt post.

Twerking: White American’s fad or an ancient African tradition? | The TSU Herald – The official student newspaper of Texas Southern University since 1948. – www.thetsuherald.com

The writer of the linked article is put off about the fad version of twerking. With twerking choreographed into hip-hop performances, the fad may pass but twerking will not.

The problem is a lack of connection between what was done in Africa and what is being done in the US. The US "history of twerking" comes to an end in New Orleans in the early 80s.

Young blacks in America are not twerking as some kind of culturally significant ritual. It has not been handed down from grandmothers to their grandchildren over hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,449,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Twerking is an important part of African history and will continue to be expressed through hip-hop.

Twerking in the US did not originate with hip-hop. Hip-hop springs from the Bronx. Twerking springs from New Orleans "bounce" music...a different root.

I'll say again:

Young blacks in America are not twerking as some kind of culturally significant ritual. It has not been handed down from grandmothers to their grandchildren over hundreds of years.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Twerking in the US did not originate with hip-hop. Hip-hop springs from the Bronx. Twerking springs from New Orleans "bounce" music...a different root.

I'll say again:

Correct and, for purposes of expression, twerking will not go out as a fad. I commented twerking is choreographed in hip-hop. Many diy hip-hop artists sport their twerking--now, and I have seen twerking in hip-hop performed for large audiences.

Years from now, I will still see twerking from upcoming hip-hop artists because it has become incorporated into hip-hop. That is the exciting part about watching hip-hop, learning or observing why choreography is used and its impact on the intended message overall.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Twerking is not a dance

I don't see how it is not a dance.

Belly dancing is more then just shaking your butt. Its has a history and meaning.

Belly dancing had a start where it had no history and meaning. Was it bad then?

Now twerking.... its just a fad.

How do you know? At one time, belly dancing may have seemed like a fad. In any case, so what if it is a fad? So was the Macarena, but there was nothing wrong with that.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you know? At one time, belly dancing may have seemed like a fad. In any case, so what if it is a fad? So was the Macarena, but there was nothing wrong with that.
But it started as a cultural thing to a country. Twerking is not some cultural thing of meaning (more or less). Its just "Shake that sexy butt!". Its about being sexual and perverses. No other meaning. Its just a fad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
"Interesting thoughts about twerking" - no such things exist

also lol at all the christians getting scandalised over twerking while repeatedly posting videos of twerking

"its DISGUSTING I tell you, now let's watch another dozen twerking videos"

^_^

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But it started as a cultural thing to a country. Twerking is not some cultural thing of meaning (more or less). Its just "Shake that sexy butt!". Its about being sexual and perverses. No other meaning. Its just a fad.

"Shake that sexy butt" may pass.

But those who stand by the motto dance to express not to impress will continue to choreograph twerking into routines.

In essence, twerking, like capoeira in Brazil, “dutty wine” in Jamaica, “jigging” in Dallas, “the snake” in 1930s Harlem, or zydecoin in Louisiana, is a hybrid movement used to continue our African traditions in a non-African world—a way of expressing ourselves amidst oppression and remaining connected to our cultural heritage.

Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Well, twerking booties and bumbums make ripe targets for paddles of spankophiles everywhere!

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even if it is some old tradition, its not beautiful like most dancing traditions I've seen. Its just people shaking their butts sexually and being perverse. I don't watch the videos, but going by the thumbnails I see of them, I've not seen one doing it as a actual dance. They always way tiny shorts, thongs...etc. >.>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tahitian dance is also just women "shaking their butts" in a sexually suggestive way.

Tahitian Dance- Ote'a - YouTube

Yes, "shaking one's butt" is a common dance theme.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tahitian dance is also just women "shaking their butts" in a sexually suggestive way.

Tahitian Dance- Ote'a - YouTube

Yes, "shaking one's butt" is a common dance theme.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
If Christians begin twerking in churches then I know we are all in trouble.

Miley Cyrus twerking is grotesque who still resembles a 13 year old, body-wise.

I guess she isn't interesting in her image anymore.

Upvote 0