Western Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
✟7,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So I make a post that says Jesus returning tomorrow and I get a bazillion hits with people falling over themselves to thank me for my prophetic vision (this is hypothetical I didn't really make that thread).

But I make a thread wanting to talk and look at the Heidelberg Catechism and no one really even give me that time of day...

http://www.christianforums.com/t7388824/#post52516965

JSGuitarist

Παρα σοι ιλασμος εστιν
Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Quote from an article:

Several years ago at the church pastored by the pastor whose Facebook forum started all this, we started Wednesday night classes for adults. I offered to teach a course in the basic truths of the Bible. I had originally called it “Theology 101,” but I was told the word Theology was too loaded, so it was changed to something less high falutin’. Other classes were taught that night, about four or five, so people could choose which to attend.

I covered the basics in my class, like the nature of God, why Jesus is the sole way to salvation, and core doctrinal theology. Though scores of people in the church were new to the Faith, I had only a half dozen in my class. The class that got 95 percent of the many adults who attended Wednesday nights was “How to Move in the Power of the Spirit.”

When the three months of classes were over, I had one student left who had not jumped to the “Power of the Spirit” class. She was very grateful and blessed me mightily. When I confessed to her that I had not seen her around church, she told me she attended a different church, but that a friend from my church had told her about the class.

I learned a great lesson that day. Every Christian wants to jump straight to the third heaven, everyone wants to move in power, everyone wants to be a great saint, but next to none want to lay the actual groundwork that will get them to that place. They’re sitting in “How to Move in the Power of the Spirit” class, yet they don’t even know what God has revealed to us about His Spirit in the Book that He gave us.

In a previous post in this series, I said that you can trace a lack of dying at the cross to the reason that so many Christians burn out, walk away from the Faith, or never achieve great things for the Lord. I have to add ignorance of the Bible to that post mortem also.

If I claim to move in great charismatic gifts, I can erect a tent and people will fill it; but if I say that I know the Bible inside and out, no one’s going to toss Franklins into an offering plate on my behalf and tell me how wonderful I am.

The genuine way of Christ isn’t flashy. It happens in back rooms devoid of glory and acclaim, at kitchen tables wet with morning tears. It happens in the hearts of people who know there’s no way to cheat on God’s test to get that A+, so they study to show themselves a workman approved, even if that study demands some discipline and commitment.

If you're interested in a study by Private Message (if you no longer have plans for the thread), I'll certainly take you up on it. Right now I'm gradually and slowly inching my way through the Westminster Confession (and some Greek), and I'm trying to iron out my theology.

But you're right; situations like you describe are too common. Everyone wants the power, but no one wants to study. I remember bringing a theology book to a devotional group (my circle of friends are Pentecostal/Charismatic). One friend kinda looked at it questioningly, and most discussion was on what he (the author) thought of the use of gifts (which I suppose isn't bad in itself). There's a bible sitting at my friend's apartment, they call it the Evil McArthur Bible because his commentaries argue for cessationism.

It's too bad, because I would really enjoy some spirited, in-depth discussion on theological matters. I'm new to this world of theology, but as God has shaken me up in this way, it's hard relating to other Pentecostals/Charismatics. There's talk about so-and-so prophet, such-and-such healings, this visit to heaven or this new revelation or wave of power, but now I am more amazed listening to the Attributes of God by A.W. Pink than any of those things (mostly because I'm convinced many of "those things" are fictitious), probably because I saw God in a way I never have. Try reading straight through John and Romans, and God opens up things that aren't flashy, but nonetheless amazing. I got through the first section of the first chapter of the Westminster Confession and I thought, "This is what I was looking for!"

Original article: Equipping the Saints: The Totality of Knowing God Begins Here | Cerulean Sanctum

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Missionary Joshua

Jul 27, 2009
Western Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
✟7,711.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
If you're interested in a study by Private Message (if you no longer have plans for the thread), I'll certainly take you up on it. Right now I'm gradually and slowly inching my way through the Westminster Confession (and some Greek), and I'm trying to iron out my theology.

But you're right; situations like you describe are too common. Everyone wants the power, but no one wants to study. I remember bringing a theology book to a devotional group (my circle of friends are Pentecostal/Charismatic). One friend kinda looked at it questioningly, and most discussion was on what he (the author) thought of the use of gifts (which I suppose isn't bad in itself). There's a bible sitting at my friend's apartment, they call it the Evil McArthur Bible because his commentaries argue for cessationism.

It's too bad, because I would really enjoy some spirited, in-depth discussion on theological matters. I'm new to this world of theology, but as God has shaken me up in this way, I can't even relate sometimes to the Pentecostal people around me now. There's talk about so-and-so prophet, such-and-such healings, this visit to heaven or this new revelation or wave of power, but now I am more amazed listening to the Attributes of God by A.W. Pink than any of those things (mostly because I'm convinced many of "those things" are fictitious), probably because I saw God in a way I never have. Try reading straight through John and Romans, and God opens up things that aren't flashy, but nonetheless amazing. I got through the first section of the first chapter of the Westminster Confession and I thought, "This is what I was looking for!"

Sure I would love too... We could discuss it in the open forum and if things go down hill or get out of hand we can switch to the PM mode. I would prefer it to be used, and left as at least a public record for other interested parties... :D

LOL! It is funny I am not a huge fan of MacArthurs because of his Dispensationalism... But he is very smart and has really good stuff on all kinds of topics and my seminary even uses his sermons on Spiritual Gifts.

Do you live in the Western Pa area? (PM me that)...

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I would strongly echo all the sentiments in this thread. The contemporary church is weak and unhealthy, and it's because we don't revere God as holy and value what He teaches us in His word. Somehow we got the idea that those are the "basics" and that we eventually move beyond them. As if we could ever fully explore the attributes of God and His word.

By the way, I didn't see the aforementioned thread on the Heidelberg Catechism until you posted this. I would also be interested in a thread discussing it.

Ken

Upvote 0

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would strongly echo all the sentiments in this thread. The contemporary church is weak and unhealthy, and it's because we don't revere God as holy and value what He teaches us in His word. Somehow we got the idea that those are the "basics" and that we eventually move beyond them. As if we could ever fully explore the attributes of God and His word.
Amen!

By the way, I didn't see the aforementioned thread on the Heidelberg Catechism until you posted this. I would also be interested in a thread discussing it.

Ken
It does sound interesting. :)

Upvote 0