• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Intellectual Learning Disability

Alison Peebles

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
✟111,487.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Celibate
I was born with an Intellectual Learning Disability but I wasn't diagnosed straight away, I can't remember at what age I was diagnosed but I was still very little when my pediatrition diagnosed me with this disability. I am currently 27 years old and I feel like my disability has stopped me from doing many things and make a living for myself. I really struggled with the work and didn't really have any friends at school, I was basically the unpopular kid that all the other kids wanted to pick on and were very nasty to me for no reason. And all the people who claimed to be my friends just ditched me, i'm still living under my Mum's roof,I don't have very much work experience, I have no career, hardly any income, not even close to getting my drivers license, I havn't even gone for my learners yet. I feel like it has even prevented me from having a love life and my social life isn't so great either, in a recent previous post reguarding my Depression & Anxiety issues someone asked me where God comes into this? I may get the same or a similar question to this post, but the truth is I have no clue where or even how God comes into this situation or any situation I have been or going through. I didn't become a believer until around 2013 but I didn't start attending church until around December 2015, I have been to three different churches since then and as people say "third luck is a charm" I found a church where I feel welcome and accepted for who I am. I guess it's normal for Christians or someone of any religion to go to different churches etc until they feel they have found "the one" that they will stick with. I believe I have found that church and the people there are so lovely, welcoming & accepting. I hope that I will have the same experience as well on this forum with all of you. May God give you mercy & peace ❤️

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome Alison and I am glad that you found a church that you can feel comfortable in and hopefully understand and begin to grow. Read your bible daily little Sister and let the Word nourish you and grow you.
Do you have a bible reading plan?

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I can relate as I too have a disability, a small part of which is intellectual (struggle with money, math, time, etc) and it sometimes makes me depressed.

There is a program in my state that helps those with disabilities find part time work. You are matched with someone through an agency, you tell the person you're matched with what job you want and they help you develop a resume. Then they help you deliver your resume to different businesses. Does the area of Australia you live in have a program similar to that? If so have you and your Mom thought about looking into that?

A good friend of mine got a job through this program and so have others, although most of these people still live with their parents and receive government assistance though.

I am glad that you found a church where you feel accepted. That's great!

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith goes a long way when it comes to things in life. It's been my experience, you sometimes need to prioritize certain things and at the same time have patience. Just as you eventually found a church you liked after years and few different ones. The same can be applied to other areas of life, getting a learners/licenses and a career/job. You must have faith to pursue these things and accept what's possible at the time, then in time go more for what you prefer. Stay positive and active about yourself and life, God bless!

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Alison, welcome to the forum. That's wonderful that you have found a church where you are loved and accepted. Sadly, it is not the case for many people with intellectual disabilities.

Praying that God will lead you to the place He wants you to be, whether that is in terms of accommodation, job or socially. Do you or your mum know what is in your area in terms of support for both of you or would you be able to find out? Maybe someone at your church could help you in this respect?

Blessings to you and your mum.

Gillian

Upvote 0