Instructional Resources for Catholic Icon Painters: The Icon Painter's Handbook and the online Academy Course

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A fully online and remote formation for icon painters, by a British master iconographer

I am pleased to recommend to our readers The Icon Painter’s Handbook by Ian Knowles, which is available here and here Ian is a English Catholic icon painter with many commissions under his belt, and a former student of Aidan Hart. He produces this book with the blessing of his former teacher, who contributed the Foreword. As a good student of Mr Hart, one of the foremost Orthodox iconographers in the English speaking world, Ian has excellent technique and understanding of the tradition. Also, incidentally, in the manner of his former teacher, he refers to icon “painting”, and does not conform to what began as an affectation and has become a contemporary fashion in the English speaking world, that of referring to the process as “writing”!

This book can be used by itself, or in conjunction with the first and foundational module of Ian’s excellent four-module online icon-painting course, which offers a full formation in iconography, the Academy Course in Icon Painting. This offers regular real-time online meetings with Ian and other students for questions and discussion, as well as a full set of recorded videos and materials.

I asked him if this full formation is available to those living in America. He told me, “Yes! The online programme is done remotely and at different levels. First there are the four modules, all now recorded and available. Purchased once with lifetime access. Then there is the Academy, which is open to all those students for mutual support etc., with a monthly lecture program, and then email critiques, one-on-one tutorials via Zoom, and weekly tutorial groups via Zoom, of which we have one comprising of four students from the USA and who would welcome new members.”

Continued below.