Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have already been given examples of entire households being baptized.

But, not one Scripture that teaches infant baptism.
May I ask , do you think baptism saves the souls of individuals?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious for those that believe in infant baptism, sprinkling, etc where did this idea come from since Jesus himself was not baptized until he was around 29-30?
My husband is very strongly in favor of believers' baptism. It is interesting to me that all of the Apostolic Churches, even if they disagree on Christology, ecclesiology, and who got what right, baptize infants. None of them have any issue with that.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawn Stuart
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My husband is very strongly in favor of believers' baptism. It is interesting to me that all of the Apostolic Churches, even if they disagree on Christology, ecclesiology, and who got what right, baptize infants. None of them have any issue with that.
What does baptism represent?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,119.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The practice seems to have originated with Scripture, where it talks of a man being baptized with his household and the assumption is that there were young children in his home.
There are three places in scripture where whole households are baptized. Acts 16 has two and 1 Cor. 1 has one.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I did a quick Google search. Unless someone can find an earlier reference, the first explicit writing on infant Baptism was by Tertullian in a treatise on Baptism, apparently written between 200 and 206. This proves nothing one way or the other, but I felt it was important to mention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Baptism for the remission of sins, and entering into the New Covenant. All in the Bible.
Oh, so the shed blood of Jesus Christ isn't a remission or atonement for our sins , but rather baptism?
I 100% disagree.
Oh, and not all in the Bible regarding what you stated.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, you just don't like the explanations they gave you.
It does seem to me that folks interpreting Scripture 2,000 years after Scripture was written would not be better at figuring out the context than those folks who lived and worshipped in the generations after the Apostles.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It does seem to me that folks interpreting Scripture 2,000 years after Scripture was written would not be better at figuring out the context than those folks who lived and worshipped in the generations after the Apostles.
And what context would that be regarding infant baptism?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh, so the shed blood of Jesus Christ isn't a remission or atonement for our sins , but rather baptism?
I 100% disagree.
Christ's death and resurrection liberated us from the bondage of death, sin and the devil.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawn Stuart
Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I 100% disagree.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They say they were just fallible men but ironically they think they are infallible themselves.

Upvote 0