Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does someone know where I can find a list of all of the solemnly defined Infallible Statements? I know of many sites have lists of dogmas but these are summaries of these statements and I don´t want to have to read every constitution from every ecumenical council and every papal document looking for solemnly defined Dogmatic Statements. In other words does anyone know where I can find an English copy of the fabled DS so often referenced by the catechism that isn´t going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks

Last edited:

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well what you would want I think is both De Fides statements and all the documents that are Fides ecclesiastica. One of the best sources of course is Ludwig Ott's book, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma.

I did find this list of De Fides statements which is supposed to be from his book but I can't verify that at the moment since I just moved and my books are packed.

Dogmas of the Catholic Church - Catholic Apologetics

(I make no promises about the whole website, it's not one I normally use I was just trying to find Ott's de fides statements for you)

I think the Fides ecclesiastica will be harder to find in a "list" fashion as it is comprised of major works of teaching but if I find something online during my travels I'll post it.

Upvote 0

JJM

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
Northern Indiana
✟14,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well what you would want I think is both De Fides statements and all the documents that are Fides ecclesiastica. One of the best sources of course is Ludwig Ott's book, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma.

I did find this list of De Fides statements which is supposed to be from his book but I can't verify that at the moment since I just moved and my books are packed.

Dogmas of the Catholic Church - Catholic Apologetics

(I make no promises about the whole website, it's not one I normally use I was just trying to find Ott's de fides statements for you)

I think the Fides ecclesiastica will be harder to find in a "list" fashion as it is comprised of major works of teaching but if I find something online during my travels I'll post it.

Thanks for the help but this is one of those summaries I was talking about earlier. What I'm looking for is a list with these sort of statements:

"In order that all may know the truth of the faith in its purity and all error may be excluded, we define that anyone who presumes henceforth to assert defend or hold stubbornly that the rational or intellectual soul is not the form of the human body of itself and essentially, is to be considered a heretic." (Council of Vienne Decree 1)

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the help but this is one of those summaries I was talking about earlier. What I'm looking for is a list with these sort of statements:

"In order that all may know the truth of the faith in its purity and all error may be excluded, we define that anyone who presumes henceforth to assert defend or hold stubbornly that the rational or intellectual soul is not the form of the human body of itself and essentially, is to be considered a heretic." (Council of Vienne Decree 1)

Hmmm, I know of no such compilation other than whats already been referred.

These sites may help:
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/
http://asv.vatican.va/home_en.htm
http://www.papalencyclicals.net/index.htm
http://www.uschs.com/docs.html

Upvote 0

JJM

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
Northern Indiana
✟14,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would also recommend in support of Ott the Catechism, its Compendium and Denzingers.

The site referenced above on Ott is on the money.

I think what I'm looking for is Denzinger's aka Enchiridion Symbolorum Defintionum Et Declarationum de Rebus Fidei Et Morum Edition XXXIV aka DS in the Catechism. Here's my problem.

Thanks

Reactions: JoabAnias
Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think what I'm looking for is Denzinger's aka Enchiridion Symbolorum Defintionum Et Declarationum de Rebus Fidei Et Morum Edition XXXIV aka DS in the Catechism. Here's my problem.

Thanks

I've not noticed Denzingers available ver batum online for free anywhere.

I realize its expensive. If you don't want to buy it, I would suggest your local public or parish library. If they don't have it, (which they might) ask them about inter-library loan as they should be able to get it for you.

Reactions: JJM
Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There have definitely been at least two infallibly defined dogmas made by popes (I assume that is what you are referring to):
the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin.

It is argued as to whether or not John Paul II infallibly defined ex cathedra that women cannot be ordained, and I vaugley remember a list of possible others, but again those are argued over by theologians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YourBrotherInChrist

Jan 20, 2006
East of the Mississippi
✟875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure this is what he wants but I can only find it through 1950 not through JPII.
This is the link that I always use, since I don't understand Latin. This is an online version of an English translation of an older version of Denzinger's that uses the older "D" numbering and not the newer "DS" numbering.

Here is a link to an online version of a slightly newer Denzinger-Schonmetzer version in Latin: "http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerusonline/en/index3.htm". For each item, the DS numbers are first, in bold, and then the D numbers are second, in italics.

Reactions: JJM
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.