Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Should marriage between a brother and sister, a son and Dad, a daughter and Grandpa, etc., be allowed? I tried this in another thread, but it got way off track so I figured I'd devote an entire thread to this topic. What are your opinions? I'd also like to know if you think gay marriage should be allowed. Thanks to anyone who replies.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, because the possibility of coercion is way too high.

However, if you have two people who are genetically closely related but never met each other before (i.e. twins separated at birth) and have feelings for each other, then I don't see much of a problem. I'm not worried about genetic defects of any offspring, because those arise after generations of breeding within a family.

Upvote 0

truthshift

Bring it on
Nov 6, 2008
Phoenix
✟15,490.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No, because the possibility of coercion is way too high.

However, if you have two people who are genetically closely related but never met each other before (i.e. twins separated at birth) and have feelings for each other, then I don't see much of a problem. I'm not worried about genetic defects of any offspring, because those arise after generations of breeding within a family.

I suppose that it all depends on the context of individual situations. Perhaps, it can be allowable, but only under the review of peers(taken to court for review). One would hope that, that could at least weed out cases where parties involved may be being coerced.

Beyond that argument, there is little that I can think of right now for anyone to say "no" with right now. I'll mull it over a bit.

I would say that for the same reasons that gays should be allowed to be married, then in-family marriages should be allowed as well.

Regarding the genetics involved: I think that is another issue altogether. Marriage and reproduction usually only go hand-in-hand in religious considerations.

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would say that for the same reasons that gays should be allowed to be married, then in-family marriages should be allowed as well.

That is kind of why I am asking this question. I am wondering - if I just posted the question "Should we allow incestuous marriages?" would people answer differently (i.e. "No, we should not allow it.") But then, when compared with gay marriage, they go back and say that we should allow it? I'm wondering if they are just changing their mind or saying we should allow incestuous marriages so they can justify their opinion that gays should be allowed to be married. Just some thoughts...

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, we should allow it.

I too worry about coercion, but coercion is possible in every relationship.

I agree. Plenty of marriages are entered into for reasons that aren't to the benefit of one of the people involved and while it would be nice prevent all of those coerced and abusive situations we can't and we don't deny everyone the privilege or right simply because of some abuse.

I can't imagine a flood of people who KNOW they are biologically related running to get a license either.

---------
OP- yes i believe marriage should be legal for all.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose that it all depends on the context of individual situations. Perhaps, it can be allowable, but only under the review of peers(taken to court for review). One would hope that, that could at least weed out cases where parties involved may be being coerced.
...snip...
Shouldn't that count for all marriages then ?
Or can only siblings be "coerced" ?

Upvote 0

truthshift

Bring it on
Nov 6, 2008
Phoenix
✟15,490.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That is kind of why I am asking this question. I am wondering - if I just posted the question "Should we allow incestuous marriages?" would people answer differently (i.e. "No, we should not allow it.") But then, when compared with gay marriage, they go back and say that we should allow it? I'm wondering if they are just changing their mind or saying we should allow incestuous marriages so they can justify their opinion that gays should be allowed to be married. Just some thoughts...

Really, it's more along the lines of not being able to justify prohibiting in-family marriages. There is no particular reason why they should not be allowed with the exception of the possibility of coercion. I believe that there could be work-arounds to that though.

The justification that, at least, I use for gay marriage is that they should be able to marry whomever they so choose. It's not imposing on my way of life in any way, it's not saying that I have to go and get married to another man.

For that reason, I would have to say that it's ok for it to happen. They're not pushing anything on me either.

I am personally a little apprehensive to the whole deal but there is nothing to say that I have the right to tell people what they can and cannot do. If they want to, let them do it.

I don't think people are "just changing their mind or saying we should allow incestuous marriages so they can justify their opinion that gays should be allowed to be married".

It's actually that they will consider the criteria of in-family marriages and if it is in line with the reasons we are allowing gays to marry then it will be agreed with. Unless, of course, there are other factors involved that would make it unacceptable such as the aforementioned coercion issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Potentially. I cannot think of any situations where there is coercion in a marriage in modern western culture though.

I wouldn't know though.

Two Words :)

Shotgun Wedding :D
shotgunwedding.jpg

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Potentially. I cannot think of any situations where there is coercion in a marriage in modern western culture though.

I wouldn't know though.

Then you are not thinking hard enough.

Upvote 0

DarkNLovely

Dark am I, yet lovely.....Song of Songs 1:5
Jul 25, 2007
Where da party at!
✟18,913.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel that all forms of "alternative love" should be decriminalized, but not nescesarily legalized. That's my whole beef with gay marriage thing. Why not fight for the rights of everybody to marry? Why just gays? There are still states where first cousins can't marry, and polygamist Morman wives are not legally married to their husband unless they are the first wife. I personally believe that only traditional marriage between one man and one woman should be allowed, and all others shouldn't be legal, they shouldn't be illegal either. I don't think anybody should go to jail for sleeping with their sister, like this poor guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp0KowG67A&feature=related

Upvote 0

truthshift

Bring it on
Nov 6, 2008
Phoenix
✟15,490.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Two Words :)

Shotgun Wedding :D
shotgunwedding.jpg

Haha :hahaha:

Yeah, according to that, then those cases should be reviewed by the court as well.

Of course, I suppose the chances of any case of coercion making it to the court would be subject to the honesty and willingness of the parties involved. With the case of the shotgun weddings, it's usually because a child is on the way. Could you say that would be the motivating factor behind coercion in all in-family marriages?

Perhaps, in the case of in-family marriages, they would have to have a court review prior to it. (Just thinking)

Edit: Grammar is fun!

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I personally believe that only traditional marriage between one man and one woman should be allowed, and all others shouldn't be legal, they shouldn't be illegal either.

How can you have decriminalized marriage? Marriage is a legal institution. Either it's legal or it isn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I feel that all forms of "alternative love" should be decriminalized, but not nescesarily legalized. That's my whole beef with gay marriage thing. Why not fight for the rights of everybody to marry? Why just gays? There are still states where first cousins can't marry, and polygamist Morman wives are not legally married to their husband unless they are the first wife. I personally believe that only traditional marriage between one man and one woman should be allowed, and all others shouldn't be legal, they shouldn't be illegal either. I don't think anybody should go to jail for sleeping with their sister, like this poor guy.

HOW can something not be legal AND not be illegal at the same time. Give me one example of ANYTHING that is both not legal and not illegal, please, because I am confused.

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
HOW can something not be legal AND not be illegal at the same time. Give me one example of ANYTHING that is both not legal and not illegal, please, because I am confused.

Um, legal = not illegal...

I think you want examples of things which are legal and illegal at the same time?

Upvote 0

angellica

Jul 11, 2008
Memphis
✟8,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp0KowG67A&feature=related

Here is what I am talking about, cantana (FYI).

Upvote 0

cantata

Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Here is what I am talking about, cantana (FYI).

Ah, I misread you. Carry on there.

(By the way - sometimes things are "decriminalized" so that you won't get arrested for doing them but you might get a warning from the police or other non-criminal penalties such as fines. Some countries have done it with cannabis possession.)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.