Inappropriate use of "Lest We Forget"?

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
Not too long ago passed the one-year anniversary of the Sept. 11th attacks, and the phrase "lest we forget" was used a great deal in relation to those attacks. Some people feel that this is an inappropriate use of the phrase that has come to be connected to the world wars and other major military conflicts, in that it tends to identify the Sept. 11th attacks with those wars as major catastrophes in human history. Others feel that "lest we forget" can be used in conjunction with any event which results in the loss of human lives.
Any thoughts on this one? Is it appropriate to use "lest we forget" in relation to Sept. 11th?

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
In relation to wars, the phrase "lest we forget" is usually reserved for the sacrifice of those who fought in those wars. Putting it to use for catastrophes in which human lives were lost is changing the context of the phrase.

I don't think it's necessarily "wrong", but it is being used in a different context.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Originally posted by paulewog
Of course, we probably shouldn't forget those that ran INTO the building to HELP people get out, some of which never returned...

True. In terms of those who sacrificed their lives trying to save others, the phrase has the same context in relation to wars. But in terms of those who were innocent victims in all of this, the phrase has a different context.

Upvote 0

My Higher Self

Sense Offender
Aug 20, 2002
Florida
✟880.00
Let me first say that what happened on September 11th was a horrible tragedy for everyone involved. Many people lost their lives unknowingly and others gave theirs up willingly. It is a day that should never be forgotten.

But the answer to your question (IMO)

Originally posted by TScott
What would be the difference between using the term for the victims of 911 and the the victims of the attack on Pearl Harbor?

is this:

The victims of the TT were non-combatants and did not make a decision to make themselves a daily target for military action in defense of the country and its interests.

Its not to say that the loss of life on Sempteber 11th is not just as bad....but its different, than the loss of life that is commonly paid respect to with the phrase "Lest we forget"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by sulphur
Please come to australia and go to any returned service league club and say that loudly at 9pm as the lights dim.YOU may get out alive but feel free strathyboy to give it a try.

Yes, coastie was right, it is someone else's opinion. I really have no opinion at all on this subject, but I can see the merit in both sides.
What's a service league club?

Upvote 0