Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That sounds like theology, not science. Does Swamidass have training in theology?
Dr. Swamidass is a Population Geneticist who put forth a theory that in theory A&E could be our genealogical ancestors in as short of a time period as 7000 years. His theory is testable and falsifiable. From his website: In this book, Swamidass
  • untangles several misunderstandings about the words human and ancestry, in both science and theology
  • explains how genetic and genealogical ancestry are different, and how universal genealogical ancestry creates a new opportunity for rapprochement
  • explores implications of genealogical ancestry for the theology of the image of God, the fall, and people “outside the garden”
Some think Adam and Eve are a myth. Some think evolution is a myth. Either way, the best available science opens up space to engage larger questions together. In this bold exploration, Swamidass charts a new way forward for peace between mainstream science and the Christian faith.​

It is unlikely that everyone will think that peace between mainstream science and the Christian faith is a good thing.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dr. Swamidass is a Population Geneticist who put forth a theory that in theory A&E could be our genealogical ancestors in as short of a time period as 7000 years. His theory is testable and falsifiable. From his website: In this book, Swamidass
  • untangles several misunderstandings about the words human and ancestry, in both science and theology
  • explains how genetic and genealogical ancestry are different, and how universal genealogical ancestry creates a new opportunity for rapprochement
  • explores implications of genealogical ancestry for the theology of the image of God, the fall, and people “outside the garden”
Some think Adam and Eve are a myth. Some think evolution is a myth. Either way, the best available science opens up space to engage larger questions together. In this bold exploration, Swamidass charts a new way forward for peace between mainstream science and the Christian faith.​

It is unlikely that everyone will think that peace between mainstream science and the Christian faith is a good thing.
Its going to take vastly more realigning of Christian thought
than just scienceing A and E a bit

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UPDATE from Fox News
Christians point to genetics breakthroughs to show Adam and Eve are not incompatible with evolution

Evolutionary science is making space for Adam and Eve,
Christian scientists say

The secular Lents noted that "science and Christianity have been pitted against each other unnecessarily. Conflicts over evolution have bred mistrust on both sides that has bled into other issues," like skepticism about vaccines.

The article gets 1.5 million views in the first 12 hours. How often does this sort of thing happen over two years after a book is published?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dr. Swamidass is a Population Geneticist who put forth a theory that in theory A&E could be our genealogical ancestors in as short of a time period as 7000 years.
As I understand it, even ancestry.com can only go back 1000 years with DNA.

How does Dr. Swamidass go back 7000?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
UPDATE from Fox News
Christians point to genetics breakthroughs to show Adam and Eve are not incompatible with evolution

Christian scientists say

The secular Lents noted that "science and Christianity have been pitted against each other unnecessarily. Conflicts over evolution have bred mistrust on both sides that has bled into other issues," like skepticism about vaccines.

The article gets 1.5 million views in the first 12 hours. How often does this sort of thing happen over two years after a book is published?

" Noahs Ark Found" would do if it that had not been tried so
often :D

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rather, he is seeking, with intellectual humility, boldness, and rigor, to walk the path of reason in the search of truth. Paul Gould, associate professor of philosophy of religion at Palm Beach Atlantic University"
uh-oh

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I understand it, even ancestry.com can only go back 1000 years with DNA.

How does Dr. Swamidass go back 7000?
Tracing genealogy is done mathematically starting with ~50% of our DNA from each of our parents.
From the Fox article:
Modern genetics only captures a small sliver of the story of human ancestry, Swamidass writes. "While your parents are both 100 percent your parents, you only get roughly 50 percent of your DNA from each of them, and only about 25 percent of your DNA from your grandparents. As you go farther back, you have more genealogical ancestors who each contribute less and less to your DNA."
Dr. Swamidass starts with de novo A&E created by the Christian God in as little as 7000 years ago.

See: Tracing our Mathematical Ancestry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tracing genealogy is done mathematically starting with ~50% of our DNA from each of our parents.

Okay.

And I'll admit I have never read a thing he has written.

I've never even heard of him until now.

But it sounds like he's playing with numbers, more than he is claiming being in possession of physical evidence.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,191.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I said in a previous comment: "It is unlikely that everyone will think that peace between mainstream science and the Christian faith is a good thing."
Depends on the terms of course..

But the televangelists wont like it.
Di and other professional anti science outfits would be distressed.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Here's what I like:

1. Bible says x, Science says x = go with x
2. Bible says x, Science says y = go with x
3. Bible says x, Science says ø = go with x
4. Bible says ø, Science says x = go with x
5. Bible says ø, Science says ø = free to speculate on your own

Prime Directive: Under no circumstances whatsoever is the Bible to be contradicted.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I agree, the DI and televangelists, etc have a vested $ interest on the status quo and "true" believers back them up with their $$.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's what I like:

1. Bible says x, Science says x = go with x
2. Bible says x, Science says y = go with x
3. Bible says x, Science says ø = go with x
4. Bible says ø, Science says x = go with x
5. Bible says ø, Science says ø = free to speculate on your own

Prime Directive: Under no circumstances whatsoever is the Bible to be contradicted.
That is a Christian minority that believes in a literal reading of the old testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE from Fox News

Christian scientists say

The Fox News article is not particularly accurate, by the way. Specifically, it mischaracterizes an article I wrote for BioLogos on this subject.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay.

And I'll admit I have never read a thing he has written.

I've never even heard of him until now.

But it sounds like he's playing with numbers, more than he is claiming being in possession of physical evidence.
There is no physical that A&E ever existed so you are correct he is not claiming physical evidence so you are correct.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, the DI and televangelists, etc have a vested $ interest on the status quo and "true" believers back them up with their $$.

Are you bragging, or complaining?

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Fox News article is not particularly accurate, by the way. Specifically, it mischaracterizes an article I wrote for BioLogos on this subject.
I won't try to vouch for their correctness. I just think it that Fox would have such an article especially with their evangelical following?

Upvote 0