khristosanesti

Feb 6, 2017
United States
✟16,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wondering if this is only good if going to Mecca for a pilgrimage? Cynical me. I hope it is better than that.

What? No. Christians don't go to Mecca on a pilgrimage, Christians can't even enter Mecca. I'm confused at what you're trying to even say.

Many Copts go on pilgrimage to one of the monasteries in the Sinai for instance, because that's where the 10 commandments were given. They also go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in occupied Jerusalem.

I'm honestly confounded at your response to this.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What? No. Christians don't go to Mecca on a pilgrimage, Christians can't even enter Mecca. I'm confused at what you're trying to even say.

Many Copts go on pilgrimage to one of the monasteries in the Sinai for instance, because that's where the 10 commandments were given. They also go to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in occupied Jerusalem.

I'm honestly confounded at your response to this.
I already deleted it. Clear we aren't going to get along.

Upvote 0

khristosanesti

Feb 6, 2017
United States
✟16,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I thought Muslim countries are bad and only care about oppressing Christians?

Some Muslim countries are, some aren't. It really depends on the ideology of the state. The Islamist government's of the Middle East are generally anti-Christian and they stir up hatred which causes civil unrest, the secular government's tend to depend on their Christian minorities for political support so they're nicer to them.

Egypt had a Muslim Brotherhood government which was very bad to Christians and incited violence against them, then there was coup d'état that brought in their current President General Sisi who is much better for Christians although there are still some safety issues and things like having to jump through a lot of humiliating hoops to even get a permit repair a church which means that Christian communities suffer from decay in Egypt. In the Middle East, democracy is generally not good for minorities like Christians because the general population have Islamist tendencies which is why Christians out of self preservation tend to prefer secular authoritarians to democratic Islamism. That's why Syrian Christians are very strongly supportive of Bashar al Assad and Egyptian Christians of General Sisi. In Iraq, Christians were much better off with Saddam in power (and in fact some of the most powerful officials in his government were at least nominally Christian) and they have dropped from 2m persons to less than 300k since he was toppled.

It's far from an ideal life, and I don't know the point that you're trying to make.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some Muslim countries are, some aren't. It really depends on the ideology of the state. The Islamist government's of the Middle East are generally anti-Christian and they stir up hatred which causes civil unrest, the secular government's tend to depend on their Christian minorities for political support so they're nicer to them.

Egypt had a Muslim Brotherhood government which was very bad to Christians and incited violence against them, then there was coup d'état that brought in their current President General Sisi who is much better for Christians although there are still some safety issues and things like having to jump through a lot of humiliating hoops to even get a permit repair a church which means that Christian communities suffer from decay in Egypt. In the Middle East, democracy is generally not good for minorities like Christians because the general population have Islamist tendencies which is why Christians out of self preservation tend to prefer secular authoritarians to democratic Islamism. That's why Syrian Christians are very strongly supportive of Bashar al Assad and Egyptian Christians of General Sisi. In Iraq, Christians were much better off with Saddam in power (and in fact some of the most powerful officials in his government were at least nominally Christian) and they have dropped from 2m persons to less than 300k since he was toppled.

It's far from an ideal life, and I don't know the point that you're trying to make.
He was being facetious. He was making the point that a lot of people actually think what he said and the fact that you took his question seriously actually proves it. It's sad that people actually think that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

khristosanesti

Feb 6, 2017
United States
✟16,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He was being facetious. He was making the point that a lot of people actually think what he said and the fact that you took his question seriously actually proves it. It's sad that people actually think that way.

It's kind of a ridiculous point. Being treated with basic human dignity like religious freedom isn't something to cheer for it's a given. The fact that this is news in the first place and just happening now — 2017 years after the birth of Christ demonstrates that their system is not an ideal or something to be aspired too. It's still good news, too much about the Copts of Egypt is just sad these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums