Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why, if I believed what some preach about the temporary, trumpery salvation which only lasts for a time, I would scarcely be at all grateful for it; but when I know that those whom God saves He saves with an everlasting salvation, when I know that He gives to them an everlasting righteousness. (A Defense of Calvinism by C. H. Spurgeon)​

While Calvinism is a nearly inexhaustible topic, predestination itself being one of the most often targeted points, I’m here to propose a formal debate on Calvinism. While not a strict Calvinism apologist I’ve encountered the running debate between Calvanism vs. Arminian theology, Catholicism and a host of other views. So what I’m proposing here is that me and my opponet pick three general topics related to Calvinism. There will be a total of three rounds, each round will have a positive argument followed by the counter argument of the opposing view. It would look something like this:
  • Opening Statements:
  • Round One: Positive Statement followed by the Opposing View
  • Round Two: Positive Statement followed by the Opposing View
  • Round Three: Positive Statement followed by the Opposing View
  • Closing Statements
Up to six rounds if mutually agreed and approved by the moderator. The posts not to exceed the limits imposed by CF for a single post. We must agree on the subject matter for the three rounds before the debate starts. Quotes should be minimal including the quoting of Scripture. The source material and primary proof texts disclosed and agreed upon before introducing them in the debate. Opening Statements should be an overview of source material and basic arguments.

As a kind of guide I’d like to introduce, ‘Defense of Calvinism’, by Charles Spurgeon. He appears to have produced it from an internal dialogue with an Arminian preacher, that started as he considered the message he heard while attending an Arminian service of some kind. A gentlemanly reflection I think and a substantive discussion of some of the major facets of Calvinism. He discusses ‘everlasting destiny’, ‘the doctrine of the depravity’, unlimited atonement he contrasts with, ‘limit the merit of the blood of Jesus’, John Knox, John Calvin, and John Wesley he calls ‘the modern prince of Arminians’. Finally answering the charge that, ‘Calvinism is a licentious religion’.

It’s not an easy read, I’m certainly open to suggestions of alternative source material. Bear in mind this is a proposal thread and not a suitable place for an actual debate. This thread is just to agree beforehand on three specific topics and relevant source material as well as core proof texts.

By the way, sometimes these proposals can sit a while before someone takes up the challenge. If you don't hear from me after posting to the thread just drop me a PM and let me know.

Let all things be done unto edifying and may the truth prevail.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My brother Mark,

I'll start it off. I have two questions, I will ask the opponent's questions, because I know they will not participate.

1) Why does God ask for something we cannot provide? Choose, Will toward God, Obedience toward God, etc.

2) If we do not have a free-will, doesn't that make God the author of evil?

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My brother Mark,

I'll start it off. I have two questions, I will ask the opponent's questions, because I know they will not participate.

1) Why does God ask for something we cannot provide? Choose, Will toward God, Obedience toward God, etc.

2) If we do not have a free-will, doesn't that make God the author of evil?
I think subjects should be limited to ‘everlasting destiny’, ‘the doctrine of the depravity’, unlimited atonement, 'eternal security' and the question of whether or not ‘Calvinism is a licentious religion’.

Understand, fielding questions in a proposal thread isn't allowed in here. This is for proposing formal debates and structuring them. However, I will point out where this is addressed in the essay:

I suppose there are some persons whose minds naturally incline towards the doctrine of free-will. I can only say that mine inclines as naturally towards the doctrines of sovereign grace...if God had left me alone, and had not touched me by His grace, what a great sinner I should have been! I should have run to the utmost lengths of sin, dived into the very depths of evil. (A Defense of Calvinism by C. H. Spurgeon)
That would no doubt fall under the category of Predestination.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not a moderator, but think only the proposed debate topic is discussed here and not to actually start the debate.

The actual debate moderator shows up here to acknowledge the debate proposal. Then he/she sets up the formal debate thread locked to Mark and his opponent. Then the moderator sets up a peanut gallery for the rest of us to comment in.

Thought I would mention this before more enter their posts.

God Bless.

• Agree
Reactions: ladodgers6
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a moderator, but think only the proposed debate topic is discussed here and not to actually start the debate.

That's exactly what my intention is, but the proposal has to discuss the terms.

The actual debate moderator shows up here to acknowledge the debate proposal. Then he/she sets up the formal debate thread locked to Mark and his opponent. Then the moderator sets up a peanut gallery for the rest of us to comment in.

Thought I would mention this before more enter their posts.

God Bless.

Yea, once the formal debate terms and issues are agreed to. The moderator just oversees the formal debate, I've had a number of them, I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Upvote 0