Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Apostle Paul say's "In Christ" many times. What does "In Christ"mean?
In his body of fellow true believers, a member of his true church, can be one interpretation...

On a little more confusing side note, his "body" is basically "everything" around us and us, he being God and all, by that point, we are all "in him" already, as all matter and material is his "body"...

It means to be in and a part of his body, however you interpret that to mean...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe this basically means, in the new covenant; it could be said to mean a lot of things, but I believe that is the central idea. The foundation of the new covenant is the grace of God to forgiveness of sin through the blood of remission, by the obedience of Jesus Christ to the death of the cross. Thus by the blood is the new covenant: Hebrews 9:15-17, Hebrews 9:18-20, Hebrews 12:24, Hebrews 7:22

So Paul speaks in contrast of being "in Adam" (that is, in the disobedience of Adam unto death which was passed upon all) and that "in Christ" (that is, in the obedience of Christ unto life which also passed upon all) 1 Corinthians 15:22, Romans 5:18 and so to be "in Adam" is to be in disobedience and death through the disobedience of one, and to be "in Christ" is to be in obedience and life through the obedience of One, that is, Christ.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe this basically means, in the new covenant; it could be said to mean a lot of things, but I believe that is the central idea. The foundation of the new covenant is the grace of God to forgiveness of sin through the blood of remission, by the obedience of Jesus Christ to the death of the cross. Thus by the blood is the new covenant: Hebrews 9:15-17, Hebrews 9:18-20, Hebrews 12:24, Hebrews 7:22

So Paul speaks in contrast of being "in Adam" (that is, in the disobedience of Adam unto death which was passed upon all) and that "in Christ" (that is, in the obedience of Christ unto life which also passed upon all) 1 Corinthians 15:22, Romans 5:18 and so to be "in Adam" is to be in disobedience and death through the disobedience of one, and to be "in Christ" is to be in obedience and life through the obedience of One, that is, Christ.
Yes, good point!,

It could mean in and with those and you yourself who are being "obedient" to God, his word, and Jesus Christ, therefore a true member of his true body, or true church...

Thanks for noting that John...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I believe it means that a person is saved if they are in Christ.. So Both we are in Jesus and Jesus is in us through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.. The Father , Jesus and the Holy Spirit are One.. Jesus also talked of the father being in Him and Him being in the Father

(John 14:10) "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."

So if we are saved God is in us in the form of the Holy Spirit and we are in God also..

• Agree
Reactions: AJTruth
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe it means that a person is saved if they are in Christ.. So Both we are in Jesus and Jesus is in us through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.. The Father , Jesus and the Holy Spirit are One.. Jesus also talked of the father being in Him and Him being in the Father

(John 14:10) "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works."

So if we are saved God is in us in the form of the Holy Spirit and we are in God also..
Yes, it could whether you are truly saved or not as well,

Good point Adstar!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Religion is about what you do. Your good works, law keeping, how much you give, your church attendance, prayer etc.

The Gospel is about what Christ did. His Death, Burial, Resurrection. And when we trust Him, what He can do thru/with/in us.

The prepositional phrase's: "In Christ" "In Him" "In Whom".

Are positional statements used over 100 times by Paul

Rom 8:1 There is now no condemnation for those who are "in Christ" Jesus

1 Cor 1:30 Because of him that you are "in Christ", who has become for us wisdom from God that is, our righteousness, holiness & redemption

2 Cor 5:17 If anyone is "in Christ", he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come

Gal 3:26 You are all sons of God thru faith "in Christ"

Eph 2:6 God raised us up with Christ & seated us with him in the heavenly realms "in Christ"

7 In order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us "in Christ"

Eph 2:10 We are God's workmanship, created "in Christ"

Eph 2:13 Now "in Christ" you who once were far away have been brought near thru his blood

Eph 3:6 This mystery is that thru the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of 1 body, & sharers together in the promise "in Christ"

Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is "Christ in you", the hope of glory:

28 We proclaim him, teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect "in Christ"

1 Tim 1:14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith & love that "in Christ"

1 Tim 1:9 God saved us, & called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, according to his own purpose & grace, which was given us "in Christ" before the world began

2 Tim 2:1 My son, be strong in the grace that is "in Christ"

2 Tim 2:10 I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is "in Christ" Jesus, with eternal glory

1 Thess 4:16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead "in Christ" will rise first

Eph 1:13 "In whom" ye also trusted (CHRIST), after that ye heard the word of truth (HIS SIN ATONING SACRIFICE), the gospel of your salvation (1 Cor 15:1-4 & Rom 10:8-13) "in whom" also after that ye believed (WHEN U ACCEPTED GODS GRACE & PLACED UR FAITH IN CHRIST), ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise (UR SALVATION WAS SEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT)

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
(Earnest means deposit: When we trusted Christ, God placed His Holy Spirit in us)

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
(The gives/places His Holy Spirit in us as a down payment)

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
(The Holy Spirit we see in Eph 1:13 sealed us. And now & forever dwells "IN" us)

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
(The Spirit of God dwells "INSIDE" us)

2 Timothy 1:14 14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
(The Holy Spirit "SEAL" that was committed to keep & protect us. Lives "INSIDE" us)

Believers IN CHRIST we are SEALED Forgiven, Reconciled, Justified & Have Eternal Life.

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete "in him" which is the head of all principality and power. Maranatha

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are born separated from God, with a sinful nature that is rejecting of God. If you think of a human as a body, soul (thoughts, feelings, memories), and spirit, then the substance of what a person is (in an everlasting sense) is your spirit. Our human nature is in/from our spirits. (How you were raised and programmed by our culture is mostly seen in your soul.) The spiritual nature of someone before they are saved is inherited from Adam.

God created Adam connected Himself. God was Adam's source of life and sustenance. When Adam sinned, he chose to reject God and separated himself from his only source of life and he died. (His flesh continued to function due to God's grace alone—Romans 3:25) Adam and all his children no longer could inherit a nature connected to God. They were born disconnected from God, aka spiritually dead. Since nothing can be cleansed from sin, the only way to get rid of sin is to destroy whatever is tainted with sin.

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. (bold mine, John 3:18, 1984 NIV)

Yielding to Jesus/God's Lordship is a form of accepting YHWH as one's God. (One can't genuinely yield to someone he doesn't believe is real, btw.) Jesus paid our moral debt with God. By God's grace granting us to share in Jesus' death and resurrection means our old self (dead, disconnected spirit) is replaced by a new, pure, holy, sinless spirit, which is born in Christ. We are connected to God in a superior way than Adam was originally connected to God. We become a part of God and He becomes a part of us. One way to view this connection is as our relationship with God. Another way is to view it as us no longer being fallen and isolated from God (dead in our sins), but to have been reborn joined with him, never to be alone again.

Our nature ceases to be derived from Adam, and we become children of God, with our new nature derived from our heavenly Father (inherited). Jesus becomes our (firstborn) brother (Romans 8:29).

Sanctification is the transformation of our soul from our old selves to our new selves. Paul writes that we are to behave as we (our spirits) really are (1 Corinthians 5:7) because we have been made completely new (reborn)—and that is a finished work.

With this understanding some difficult passages in 1 John are easier to understand (along with a ton of other NT Scripture).

No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother. (1 John 3:9-10, 1984 NIV)

Those who are genuinely born again will have a nature that loves God and accepts his Lordship over everything. However, he will be conflicted because his body and soul are still fallen (but his spirit is pure). He will have the urge to be as he really is, not as he was before being reborn in Christ. Who one is in Christ is someone who is completely obedient. Through God's granting of faith (often the result of our efforts to obey) we experience more and more of our real selves in this life. We experience the truth of who we are (and who God is) according to our faith.

Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Eph 1:13 "In whom" ye also trusted (CHRIST), after that ye heard the word of truth (HIS SIN ATONING SACRIFICE), the gospel of your salvation (1 Cor 15:1-4 & Rom 10:8-13) "in whom" also after that ye believed (WHEN U ACCEPTED GODS GRACE & PLACED UR FAITH IN CHRIST), ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise
(UR SALVATION WAS SEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT)

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
(Earnest means deposit: When we trusted Christ, God placed His Holy Spirit in us)

2 Cor 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
(The gives/places His Holy Spirit in us as a down payment)

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
(The Holy Spirit we see in Eph 1:13 sealed us. And now & forever dwells "IN" us)

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
(The Spirit of God dwells "INSIDE" us)

2 Timothy 1:14 14 That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.
(The Holy Spirit "SEAL" that was committed to keep & protect us. Lives "INSIDE" us)

Romans 11:29 The "gifts" & calling of God are """irrevocable"""
(GOD DOESN'T WITHDRAW WHAT HE HAS GIVEN, NOR DOES HE CHANGE HIS MIND, ABOUT THOSE TO WHOM HE HAS GIVEN HIS GRACE OR TO WHOM HE SENDS HIS CALL)

Believers IN CHRIST we are SEALED Forgiven, Reconciled, Justified & Have Eternal Life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums