Bono

Jun 29, 2004
Portugal
✟15,461.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Can someone give me a word of comfort here. I0m so worried about my mother's "soul welfare". I asked her if she considered herself a Christian, she said she did. But then I asked if she believed Jesus to have died to redeem sins, and she said she didn't know. And when I asked her if she believed He was the son of G-d, she said He probalilly was. I don't want her to go to hell. I know she tottaly belives in G-d and she prays and all that. I'm allmost sure she is a lot inclined to Christ beeing to son of G-d.She is the person I treasure most in the world(I'm single and I have no cruch/love). :cry: :cry:

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bono said:
Can someone give me a word of comfort here. I0m so worried about my mother's "soul welfare". I asked her if she considered herself a Christian, she said she did. But then I asked if she believed Jesus to have died to redeem sins, and she said she didn't know. And when I asked her if she believed He was the son of G-d, she said He probalilly was. I don't want her to go to hell. I know she tottaly belives in G-d and she prays and all that. I'm allmost sure she is a lot inclined to Christ beeing to son of G-d.She is the person I treasure most in the world(I'm single and I have no cruch/love). :cry: :cry:
There are many among us (us being "those who are saved"), that simply cannot articulate the specificities of the Christian faith in any sort of detail. I will give you an example:

My grandmother (may she enjoy her present state of glorification) was a godly woman, a kind woman, a Christ-like woman...but somewhat illiterate. She was a simple country woman (here in the southern USA, one might refer to her as "back-woods"). She attended church regularly, so she did have an understanding of the gospel, even if in its simplest terms. She would NEVER be able to answer theological questions to the satisfaction of most Calvinists (of which I am one)...HOWEVER, I know in my heart that she is with the Lord.

Take Knight's advice and begin to study and pray with her. Chat about God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit over dinner. Take her to church with you. As a famous person once asked, "How can they believe unless someone tells them..." (paraphrase).

God bless you and her.

Upvote 0

Bono

Jun 29, 2004
Portugal
✟15,461.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
ClementofRome said:
There are many among us (us being "those who are saved"), that simply cannot articulate the specificities of the Christian faith in any sort of detail. I will give you an example:

My grandmother (may she enjoy her present state of glorification) was a godly woman, a kind woman, a Christ-like woman...but somewhat illiterate. She was a simple country woman (here in the southern USA, one might refer to her as "back-woods"). She attended church regularly, so she did have an understanding of the gospel, even if in its simplest terms. She would NEVER be able to answer theological questions to the satisfaction of most Calvinists (of which I am one)...HOWEVER, I know in my heart that she is with the Lord.

Take Knight's advice and begin to study and pray with her. Chat about God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit over dinner. Take her to church with you. As a famous person once asked, "How can they believe unless someone tells them..." (paraphrase).

God bless you and her.
She is a teacher. However, I can say(paraphrasing) that she thinks G-d's motives and ways are too high for her to understand. She also thinks the Bible is too dificult to understand.
But she is a very kind person, a "Christian-like Person", only she does not verbally proclam it to everyone.
I do try to talk to her about it.
Besides, she was raised in a heavy Catholic environment, and sometimes she makes the mistake of confunding Christianity with Catholicism(that helped because we live in a allmost all Catholic Country.
Thank you for your words and thanks to the poster above also.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Bono said:
Besides, she was raised in a heavy Catholic environment, and sometimes she makes the mistake of confunding Christianity with Catholicism(that helped because we live in a allmost all Catholic Country.
Catholicism is Christian, Bono. Its a violation of CF rules for you to say it's not.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bono said:

It does not sound as if your mother has a saving relationship with Christ.

We know that no man or woman can come to Christ unless the Father draw Him.

We also know that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

A belief in a generic god does not save.
Jesus tells us He is the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by Him.

All of us desire to have assurance that the ones we love are or will be saved.
The truth is that it is not our decision , that belongs to God alone.You can not save her .
We also know that God is always just , so we must trust Him in all of His decisions .

God has arranged to allow us to be co workers in His world. Men come to Christ through hearing and reading the word.

This is where we come in.
You can pray that God open her ears to hear the gospel and that he brings her to repentance .

Then you can present the gospel to your mom .

First you need to present some biblical evidence on who Jesus is

http://www.carm.org/doctrine/Jesusisgod.htm

Then you need to show her who she is ( a sinner in need of a savior)

The Roman road to salvation
http://www.matthewmcgee.org/roman-rd.html

Just remember this, God will always call those that are His.
If your mother is His He will see that at some point she will be saved.

Upvote 0