Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

(Go to 12m 53s to hear quote.)

"Immaculate heart of Mary, I place all my trust in you".

Can someone here explain to me, a protestant by birth who is not acquainted with Mary, what is this prayer saying, and why does it "work"?

What is the immaculate heart of Mary?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mark_Sam

Veteran Newbie
Mar 12, 2011
✟54,249.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"The Immaculate Heart of Mary" is in a sense a title of Mary, focusing on her pure love for God and for mankind. Her physical heart is a symbol of her interior life and pure love. This love is twofold: her love of God, her Creator, which we seek to imitate. And her love of mankind, as she prays for us, her spiritual children, without ceasing.

In Catholic theology, Mary always leads us closer to Christ. Trusting in Mary does not take away from our trust in Christ. On the contrary, trusting in Mary will increase our faith and trust in Christ, as Mary takes us by the hand closer to Christ than we ever could on our own. So saying "Immaculate Heart of Mary, I place all my trust in you" could almost be thought of as a "shorthand" for saying: Mary, who love God and mankind with an immaculate and pure love, I place my trust in you, because Christ has given you to us as a secure means of coming closer to him. Something along these lines.

Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0