I'm telling my story because people fail to understand how serious this is

SfvChristian

Jun 13, 2013
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I started carrying a knife for self defense when i was 17 years old.
Why? Because, between the government's reckless immigration policy , the fact rap music came out and every person my age thought it would be cool to be a hardcore gang member,
...the area i lived in , which was supposed to be a "nice white suburb" , was actually very violent

Old school LAPD knew society was screwed up , and knew the law was screwed up too, so if i was confronted by them, the chances are they would have never arrested me, they would have just taken the knife away.
My problem was i ventured into a heavily policed city.

California has two conflicting laws on the subject.
One law says any blade over 6 inches is a felony, the other law says any blade over 4 inches is a felony.
I'm not going to go into detail , but i was charged with a felony.
My two days in county jail were enough for me to realize i didn't want to spend any more time there.

People i knew estimated that i was going to get 1 year in county and probably 200 days community service.
I went to my court date and the "public defender" told me if i pleaded guilty i would get 15 days community service and the charge would be dropped to a misdemeanor.
I was very relieved.
I pleaded "guilty" , the charge was dropped to a misdemeanor, and i only received 5 days community service.
After 3 years i was off probation and i gave a judge $180 to have my "crime" expunged from my record.
Everything happened the way it was supposed to.

REMEMBER: i do not have a felony conviction and i was never in prison.

When i was 22 i started working security, and i had a guard card from California.
When i was 24 i applied for an ARMED guard card from California and i was awared one.
At 24 i started working for an ATM company. My first day on the job i met some tattooed guy in a parking lot, he threw 60K in my trunk and told me to go put it in an ATM. I ended up working at that company for 3 years, and i transported over 300k weekly.

When i was 29 i had the opportunity to leave California and i purchased an inexpensive house in Nevada.
I applied for both unarmed and armed security cards in Nevada, and i received a temporary guard card.
I took a job in Las Vegas working security at a gated community.
There was a guy who lived in the community that would hold parties at his townhouse every weekend, i would talk to him and he started telling me that i should come by to these parties during my day off. blah blah blah.
I received word from the security company that i would be changing locations, going to some crap post.
I told this guy that i would no longer be working there, and he wanted to know why, i said "this security company is [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ing me off by moving me around"
This guy tells me he is friends with the owners of the security company and he would talk to them on my behalf.
(which i didn't really want him to do)

THIS IS WHEN I ENTERED THE CORRUPT GOVERNMENT TWILIGHT ZONE.

A couple of days later i go to work and the guy drives by while he's on his way home.
He doesn't stop to talk, he just drives by with a look on his face like he is laughing at me.
A short time later i get called into the security office.
The manager tells me my felony conviction came in, and my guard cards were denied.
(That's right folks, the company shared this false info with the guy who lived at the community)
I said "i don't have a felony conviction"
He said "yeah right." , then he says "i have a job for you, standing at the super market, but we're going to move you around"
I said , "no thanks, i quit."

I go to the Las Vegas Sheriff department , who issues the work permits, and i was steaming mad.
I get called up to the desk and there's a black woman working there.
I said "You have no right to pull this crap on me! my record was reduced and expunged!"
She said "Well , we need to see your records showing that."
I said "Here they are, right here!"
She said "here you go." , she handed me my State of Nevada guard card, and also my State of Nevada ARMED security guard card.

I applied for armed security at another company is Las Vegas.
They were saying they were going to hire me, then the secretary walks in and says "You can't work armed security"
I said "What are you talking about?"
She says "With your conviction they won't issue you an armed permit. I know because my nephew went through the same thing"
I pulled the armed permit out of wallet, i said "What's this?"
She says "Give that to me, you can't have that!"
I said "Are you crazy?"
During my job interview, right in front of the manager and the owner of the company, i said "Lady, it's none of your freaking business what permits i have!"
The manager said i got the job but they wouldn't hire me for armed security.
I said "Fine, as soon as i get an armed security job , i'm outta here"

The secretary called up the Sheriff's work permit department and complained.
I received a notice by mail to stop into the work permit department and surrender both of my guard cards.
I went to the Sheriff's work permit department and i said "What's going on?"
It looked like the black women who gave me my cards was demoted.
They told me to surrender both of my guard card permits.
I said "What part of expunged record don't you understand?"
They told me that their team of lawyers decide what the rules are going to be , and for me to get this cleared up, all i have to do is get California to seal my records.
The only problem is, California does not seal adult records, ever.
They told me where they got the info from , the Federal NCIC database, which holds ARREST records(not convictions).
I left the Sheriff's department and i didn't return anything.

I applied at a couple of other securtiy companies but they were talking about working 12 hours per day, for 7.50 per hour.
I decided i needed to find another career, one that didn't need approval from the Sheriff's department.
I thought that this was just a problem with Nevada and their rules for working security.
I was wrong.
Thanks to my low wages , i had charged up my credit cards.
If my parents weren't still alive, i would have ended up homeless , and i would have never had a clue what happened to me until i was on the street.

I decided i needed to pay for trade school while i still had good credit.
The truth was, i had no intention of paying back the money for the school or my credit cards.
My dad took over my low house payments. If i would have bought an average price home, i would have lost it.
I moved back in with my mom and started attending HVAC trade school , which cost me 10K.

(Notice how everyone is willing to take my money , but when i go to look for work, suddenly, i'm a despicable criminal)

I graduated trade school with very good grades, and i immediately got hired into a HVAC company in Las Vegas.
They flew me and 6 other guys to Pheonix AZ for additional training.
I completed the school with a 98 percent , #1 in my class, which [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed off some guy who i worked with.
To make a very long story short, this guy spent a lot of time trashing me to the manager, and she believed every word of his lies.
She was forced to fire him because he tried to rip-off customers, which made everything worse for me because the manger looked bad.
At some point in time after i was there almost 8 months she decided to run a background check on me and she told people i was a "felon"
One day at work someone yelled out "Hey, how was prison?"
Kind of strange because i've never been to prison.
But who cares about details right? (thanks government)
At that company i learned that 17 bucks per hour, times 60 hours, equals $300 per week.
I quit the company, ..they protested my unemployment, I faxed my check showing i earned less than minimum wage and i won my unemployment.

In Las Vegas i applied with some guy who runs his own HVAC company and he said he was going to hire me and he needed to get rid of the other applicants.
I called up the next day and i spoke with his wife.
She told me i wasn't hired.
I asked "Why?"
She said "You know why"
I said "No i don't , why don't you tell me"
She hung up the phone.

I realized at this point, i was never going to be hired in Nevada, for any job.
I moved back into my parent's house in California and i got a job at a company that paid about $360 per week.
Somehow i managed to pay off my loan and my credit cards, and took back my house payment

I quit that job and i got hired at Sears. (SEARS did not find my record)
I worked at SEARS one horrible day after another for a year.
I got laid-off.
They called me back because they wanted to start a HVAC-only department and very few technicians would move from their department because they knew SEARS was nuts.
I worked there for several months and everything was great, until SEARS hired a psychopath manager.
This guy goes from company to company and gets a thrill out of firing employees. (i knew who he was was before he was hired)
He handed us the state application for an HVAC salesman and told us we needed to get our work permit.
(He had no intention of actually getting us a permit, he was just trying to get people fired)
THIS IS A LOOPHOLE GIVEN TO BUSINESSES FOR BACKGROUND CHECKING
When you apply for the STATE sales permit they ask you if "you have ever been arrested"
If you lie to the state, you don't get your permit.
The company holds the state forms, so what ever you have to write, the company can read it.
This way the company gets access to government background info , they're not supposed to have access to.
SEARS left a message on my phone saying they were going to perform a background checks every 2 years.
( They didn't understand that they wouldn't be able to find my record, they didn't understand that my record is expunged, all they knew was i had something and they wanted to fire me)
The manger at SEARS ended up getting my whole crew fired, one way or another. I was officially fired for getting off the clock before i was done driving.

I got my HVAC contractor's license from the state.

I applied at a property management company and it looked like i was hired.
Then the manager said i wasn't hired and he said "YOU have a contractor's license???"
I said "yes i do"
Apparently he thought my expunged misdemeanor , that he doesn't know is expunged and he doesn't know is a misdemeanor, should disqualify me for a license.
cus, if you have anything on your record, you should go die, right?.
He is another genius business owner that doesn't know anything.

I called up the HVAC suppliers and i asked "what are the requirements for buying HVAC equiptment?"
They told me all i needed was a contractor's license, which i now have.
Last summer i tired to do some HVAC under my VALID contractor's license and i purchased some equipment from a supplier.
...from some young guy working the front desk.
The second time i showed up, this young guy is eyeballing me as i pulled up.
I went in to buy equipment again, and he's no longer working the front desk.
Apparently he was demoted, and i was told they were "out of stock" after i called in and they said they had it.

Another supplier refused to put my name i the computer.

Why?
You know why!
Criminal record?
Former employer trashing me?
Not enough General liability insurance?
You know why!

Apparently suppliers don't have to sell to anyone they don't want to.
What will i do?
Sue them for telling they are "out of stock"?

If i would have pulled out a 100k business loan i would have been forced to default.

Now i'm applying for a CDL trucking license because i need a backup career that someone will leave me alone and let me work.
I have no interest in trucking what-so-ever.
I have to force myself to be interested.

The government makes you a burden on your family.
My mother thinks i'm "lazy".
Just last month i finally had enough, I had to explian to her what it is like to realize that people get demoted simply because they gave you a permit , or because they sold you something.

You people think that just because 9 places won't hire you , you need to try for the 10th, but it doesn't work that way.
The bills come in every month, and you need money when you need it.
You can't spend all your time spinning wheels and getting nowhere.

Your positve attitude that you will get hired somewhere turns into get-rich-quick schemes.
You say "I have a plan to start a new career" , and everyone sits there and says "That ain't gonna work for him either"

I suspect that companies are now sharing background information so they don't have to keep paying for checks.

Myths people believe:
* Records don't disappear after 7 years. They never go away
* Employers don't look at records and say "Oh that doesn't matter, that was a long time ago"
Anything they find disqualifies you, and that means finacial and driving records, it will be worse tommorow.

You guys think this post is about me complaining about my problems but it's not.
I'm trying to explain to you how bad off the future generations are.

These problems ain't gonna happen to my kids, because i'm not having any.

Most people spend all day wishing they were young again, but i don't
I would hate to be 18 years old and trying to grow up in this society.
It is unAmerican and unChristian to prevent people from working.
Punishments are handed out in jail time ,not the work place.

Is that the government you support?
One little thing they consider "wrong" and you end up homeless over it?
None of these people are qualified to pass a moral judgement on me.

Go ahead ask me the antagonizing question.
Don't you wish you never broke the law?
No. I never broke a law. The 2nd Amendment says i have the right to carry whatever i need to protect myself.
You should not allow the government to re-define and undermine laws.

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Never really understood how we're allowed to carry guns with permits but not knives.

I'm sorry to hear how you can't seem to be forgiven by our foolish society for having the audacity to want to protect yourself. I'll pray that you'll find a job that suits your talents and where the boss isn't a Liberal. :)

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would recommend looking into industrial construction. Felonies on your record are not usually a problem, I have known men with attempted murder convictions with clearance to work in operating nuclear facilities.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Sfv. :wave:

I admire your determination. The fact that you have continued to fight for a place to work says a great deal about your character. :thumbsup:

Here's what I see about your situation: Since your "record" isn't going away, that's the first thing to tell any potential employer. Your fear seems to be that most places will then show you the door. That may be true, but you're not looking for just any employer. Instead you're looking for a place to work where this incident isn't hanging over your head. Get it out in the open so that it's done with and never comes up again. Get copies of your youth records and have those available to throw on the table if it looks like an employer is interested in hiring you. That way you only waste five minutes of your time with the first five people you talk to about a job. I would also add don't leave the papers lying around and don't let anyone copy them.

It sounds to me like you've already built up useful skills that makes you a valuable commodity for any legitimate business owner who's looking to hire.

That's the way I see it. Good luck. Don't give up.

P.S. You might consider moving to Texas. People have much better attitude there. In Texas most people don't sit around worrying about minutiae.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Never really understood how we're allowed to carry guns with permits but not knives.

Because knives were the cop-killer-high-capacity-automatic-assault-weapons of the past. Laws against long knives or "dirks" and daggers and such usually stem from the turn of the last century fears of bomb-throwing Anarchists, and laws against switchblades, balisongs, gravity knives, etc., come from the "West Side Story" era.

Upvote 0

Cocoafrost

"What goes up must ..." really shock the seagulls!
Jun 20, 2013
✟483.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A few things here.
Someone who finds themselves in a situation like that what is described in the OP... can consult an attorney and see what you can do to have your record expunged. IF you were never convicted there are things you can do to have that which gives you a bad name on a permanent record addressed.

Secondly, if you want to carry a knife, carry one that has but a three inch blade. If you move to a State always always check online to find out the laws that pertain to blade size restrictions. (as well as gun laws).

And finally, unless you're trained and can keep your head under stress, as in an assault, it is very easy for an assailant to turn a blade on you. This is why if you feel the need to arm up that you do it legally. Legally! Is where you screwed up. You weren't within the scope of the law. Carrying a copy of the U.S Constitution as your 'permit' may work for Ted Nugent. However, that's because he's a multimillionaire and can afford the legal defense team that can fight any charge for his simply carrying that copy and not a CWP. (Concealed Weapons Permit)

But not a lot of us have his kind of money. That you are a felon now precludes your being able to carry a gun. Or even buy one.

So if anything, any message, is to come of your story it is this. Know man's law! And keep it. Or be prepared to pay the consequences.

Christians may not 'be of this world', as some like to argue. However, the wake up call comes when they have to suffer disobeying the laws of this world.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
O

OathKeeper99

A few things here.
You can consult an attorney and see what you can do to have your record expunged. IF you were never convicted there are things you can do to have that which gives you a bad name on a permanent record addressed.

Secondly, if you want to carry a knife, carry one that has but a three inch blade. If you move to a State always always check online to find out the laws that pertain to blade size restrictions. (as well as gun laws).

And finally, unless you're trained and can keep your head under stress, as in an assault, it is very easy for an assailant to turn a blade on you. This is why if you feel the need to arm up that you do it legally. Legally! Is where you screwed up. You weren't within the scope of the law. Carrying a copy of the U.S Constitution as your 'permit' may work for Ted Nugent. However, that's because he's a multimillionaire and can afford the legal defense team that can fight any charge for his simply carrying that copy and not a CWP. (Concealed Weapons Permit)

But not a lot of us have his kind of money. That you are a felon now precludes your being able to carry a gun. Or even buy one.

So if anything, any message, is to come of your story it is this. Know man's law! And keep it. Or be prepared to pay the consequences.

Christians may not 'be of this world', as some like to argue. However, the wake up call comes when they have to suffer disobeying the laws of this world.

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck.
Without even being the original poster, this comment is absolutely agitating and lacking adequate reading comprehension.

What part of -

"I pleaded "guilty" , the charge was dropped to a misdemeanor, and i only received 5 days community service.
After 3 years i was off probation and i gave a judge $180 to have my "crime" expunged from my record."

-is the hard part to understand?

Also, the poster mentioned "California has two conflicting laws on the subject. One law says any blade over 6 inches is a felony, the other law says any blade over 4 inches is a felony."

You call him a felon; - he is not.
Advise him to get his record expunged; - he did.
Tell him to accept these extraordinary consequences; - he is facing extra consequences.

The post is clueless and heartless, IMHO.

Upvote 0

Cocoafrost

"What goes up must ..." really shock the seagulls!
Jun 20, 2013
✟483.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I can feel the light of Christ in your words all the way from top to bottom.

I should have presumed the "you" would be taken to speak impersonally and not to the poster himself personally or critically. I'll amend to make it a generalized address so as to accomplish what was intended initially. Forewarn people if they're ever in a situation like this.

Without even being the original poster, this comment is absolutely agitating and lacking adequate reading comprehension.

What part of -

"I pleaded "guilty" , the charge was dropped to a misdemeanor, and i only received 5 days community service.
After 3 years i was off probation and i gave a judge $180 to have my "crime" expunged from my record."

-is the hard part to understand?

Also, the poster mentioned "California has two conflicting laws on the subject. One law says any blade over 6 inches is a felony, the other law says any blade over 4 inches is a felony."

You call him a felon; - he is not.
Advise him to get his record expunged; - he did.
Tell him to accept these extraordinary consequences; - he is facing extra consequences.

The post is clueless and heartless, IMHO.

Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's what I see about your situation: Since your "record" isn't going away, that's the first thing to tell any potential employer. Your fear seems to be that most places will then show you the door. That may be true, but you're not looking for just any employer. Instead you're looking for a place to work where this incident isn't hanging over your head. Get it out in the open so that it's done with and never comes up again. Get copies of your youth records and have those available to throw on the table if it looks like an employer is interested in hiring you. That way you only waste five minutes of your time with the first five people you talk to about a job. I would also add don't leave the papers lying around and don't let anyone copy them.

This is good advice if you're trying to get hired where I work. You wouldn't want to bring it up in the first 5 minutes of an interview, you're not required to write it on the app, but they'll ask you about this during the interview and our advice is to be straight-up about it.
Quickly explain what happened, your mistake, that you learned from it, that the charge was dropped to a minor misdemeanor and later expunged. Don't mention that the initial charge was a felony, just that it got dropped to a minor misdemeanor and that you had to do 5 days community service. Have some documents available showing all that if they'd like to see them. If they don't ask bring it up towards the end.

The problem with expungement is that an employer can still find all kinds of info about your troubles with the law and the felony charges if they want to dig. So being up front with employers who'll do this is a good idea.

P.S. You might consider moving to Texas. People have much better attitude there. In Texas most people don't sit around worrying about minutiae.

Seemed like he didn't have trouble finding work in Commie California either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums