Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
...it comes and goes in phases... I'm kind of scared of my future, away from the CoC. I've grown up there, and if I do leave, they'll condemn me to hell.

I'm still scared they're right, and I kind of feel like for every argument Orthodoxy have, there's an argument that they have...it's been a long time since I was mortally afraid...now it's just little twinges of fear every now and then.

Reactions: DarkNLovely
J

Jacob4707

...it comes and goes in phases... I'm kind of scared of my future, away from the CoC. I've grown up there, and if I do leave, they'll condemn me to hell.

I'm still scared they're right, and I kind of feel like for every argument Orthodoxy have, there's an argument that they have...it's been a long time since I was mortally afraid...now it's just little twinges of fear every now and then.

Well, if the CoC is right, I wouldn't want to be in their heaven anyway, because they consider so few people as qualifying to go there that it would be about as empty and joyless as the space in an atom relative to the space occupied by the nucleus.

I can state emphatically that your fears re: the Church of Christ are misplaced.

But what do I know, eh?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can state emphatically that your fears re: the Church of Christ are misplaced.

I second that. Their history is a recent one - if they are correct, then everyone who was born before Alexander Campbell is burning in hell, because they have NO evidence AT ALL of having any connection to the early Church.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I second that. Their history is a recent one - if they are correct, then everyone who was born before Alexander Campbell is burning in hell, because they have NO evidence AT ALL of having any connection to the early Church.
what she said and Jacob. :)

Also why would you want to belong to a church like the CoC then?
Ease off your anxiety and pray with the psalms...
Philothei

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2004
Kansas City area
✟23,771.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Well, if you do choose to convert, you get a period of time to make sure; you would initially be a catechuman. There would be a period of months to years before you would receive communion. You could always repent and be welcomed back at your congregation during this time.

Upvote 0

AJB4

Senior Veteran
Sep 21, 2006
New Zealand
✟11,180.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Well, if you do choose to convert, you get a period of time to make sure; you would initially be a catechuman. There would be a period of months to years before you would receive communion. You could always repent and be welcomed back at your congregation during this time.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for becoming Orthodox...I just feel like any person would who grew up in the CoC and then was going to leave, I guess.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for becoming Orthodox...I just feel like any person would who grew up in the CoC and then was going to leave, I guess.
or who grew up anywhere, and were going to "leave" :)

I think its a rough process, no matter what your background. But there is the benefit in this process of prayerfully discovering things about yourself, and your priorities.

Don't let your imagination get the best of you. My mom always used to say to me, when putting medicine on my cuts, "don't cry until it hurts". I still tell myself that -- so I don't get nervous about what hasn't happened yet. Not always easy, though :)

Prayers for you !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I had to turn my back on the Roman Catholic pope I defended for all those years. It ain't ever easy.

Moi aussi.

Surprisingly, I didn't have dreams that I would roast in hell for renouncing the papacy as some Catholics wished.

However, I did dream I was in hell once when I thought of leaving Orthodoxy. :)

My Orthodox Priest helped me through that one temptation.

Upvote 0

DavidBryan

El indigno siervo de Dios, el lector David
Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
✟15,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I second the reading of the psalms. No. 64-69 (that's 65-70 in Protestant Bibles) are wonderful for remembering the glory and sovereignty of God. You can read a great version of these particular psalms (easy to chant, too) right here.

Here's the whole psalter, too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.