• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'm not sure if I even have a problem

itsJoseph

Feb 9, 2017
New York
✟16,707.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello guys!

First, I'm going to break this post up because I feel like some context is required.

Context:
I have been taking Vicodin for roughly 1 & 1/2 years. Though, I have only been taking 1 pill a night. No pills before 9pm. No more than 1. People warn me of "It always starts off with just one", but after a year and a half I have shown no signs of my usage increasing, or even the desire to. I simply use them to relax and simmer down my mind before I go to bed. I have even occasionally gone weeks without them with no real issues. I don't feel consumed by my usage of it. Nor severely dependent. At least, no more than someone feels dependent on a bed time tea or morning coffee.

Actual Question:
I don't know where exactly I stand religiously. I know I believe in God and I know that I turn to the Bible when I have questions or when I feel like I lost a connection with God. I often struggle praying to God because I feel guilt of my drug use, and that why should I be worthy of his blessings if I do these things.

In particular, I have conflicted views of this because of Ephesians 5:18. Since the bible has no real talk of "drugs", the best I can do is compare it to how it talks about alcohol. Like you should not drink to be "drunk", I do not take these pills to get "high". Er, well, I haven't for about a year now. I don't honestly know if my usage displeases God or not.

I don't expect anyone on here to advocate drug use. Nor do I advocate it. However, I am really conflicted as to what the bible would tell me in this situation.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

itsJoseph

Feb 9, 2017
New York
✟16,707.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why do you take Vicodin now? Why did you start taking it?

Admittedly, I started because of the "high". I was in a depressed state. The depressed state I was in, come to find out, was because of other medical issues which my doctor figured out and helped me fix it.

I take it now because my mind never turns off. I think too much about everything and have trouble sleeping. Since I have been taking them for a while, when I take 1 pill it is no longer a "high" feeling. Now, it feels more like an effective bed-time tea. I don't plan on using them forever and have even been taking them less than I usually did.

I also must mention that when I pray, I notice God does help ease my mind. However, I feel guilty always praying to God for favors.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
IF the Vicodin is to allow you and your body to cope with a chronic pain and cannot be handled in any other manner, and IF you are sticking within the prescribed limits of use, I don't understand any problem.

Modern medicine has become very specific in medication and will most likely continue to avoid side effects and such in a more efficient way. God seems to bless humanity in such ways.

There are many who require the use of drugs for life. Diabetes - with which your humble correspondent is intimately acquainted, congestive heart failure, and various other maladies stemming from imbalances of various chemicals in the body are examples.

There are two ways of looking at this. One is that all drugs and medications are of Satan and a proper Christian need only consign self and maladies to God for deliverance. The other is the advice given in James 5:13-18 about seeking medical attention (anoint with oil and study the treatment given by the Good Samaritan) and prayer.

There are those who feel they must bear all pains. I have mixed feelings about them. (Some enjoy being in pain far too much.) I find that attitude - presuming all is on the up and up - is very commendable; but like celibacy, isn't for everyone.

Unless God lays it on your heart to change what you do, I suggest you keep doing what you (and your doctor) and the Lord have agree upon.

But, as ever, be careful.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
However, I feel guilty always praying to God for favors.
Saw this and had to jump in again.

I understand what you mean about "...always praying to God for favors". I get the same feeling at times. Frankly, I'm so blessed I half expect to see Rod Serling come out from behind a curtain or something. Still, God does great and wonderful things for His people.

The only 'rationale' I can offer is 'that's what God does'.

Upvote 0

itsJoseph

Feb 9, 2017
New York
✟16,707.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Archie, these pills are not prescribed or recommended by my doctor. I would argue I am taking them in an medicinal manner. Seeing as I am literally taking 1 a day.

I do not take them for physical pain, but I take them because they help me sleep. Any other sleeping aid I try makes me feel like crap and even bigger crap in the morning. So while my usage is illegal, my question is if its sinful.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My son has chronic depression. Apparently, it's not situational; it's just the way his mind is wired. He does fine as long as he takes the medication his doctor prescribes.

Have you considered seeing a psychiatrist? Might be, your self-medication isn't as effective and safe as something else. At very least, you'd have a physician managing your intake and making sure it was safe.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Saw this and had to jump in again.

I understand what you mean about "...always praying to God for favors". I get the same feeling at times. Frankly, I'm so blessed I half expect to see Rod Serling come out from behind a curtain or something. Still, God does great and wonderful things for His people.

The only 'rationale' I can offer is 'that's what God does'.

As a huge fan of The Twilight Zone your mention of Rod Serling made me smile. :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was hooked on oxycodone for about 6 months after a work incident. Hurt my leg pretty bad at 15 (Leg got pinned between the tire of the truck I was under and the shop floor, that's what happens when you don't make sure all your jack stands are in good condition). Got my doctor to lower the strengths and slowly backed off of them.

Honestly in your situation, your best bet would probably be to go to a doctor and get prescription sleeping pills to help you sleep, since that's all you said you use them for. Vicodin is an opioid, a fairly powerful one at that. Even at just one a day, you run the risk of liver damage.

Have you tried OTC sleeping aids before?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Archie, these pills are not prescribed or recommended by my doctor. I would argue I am taking them in an medicinal manner. Seeing as I am literally taking 1 a day.

I do not take them for physical pain, but I take them because they help me sleep. Any other sleeping aid I try makes me feel like crap and even bigger crap in the morning. So while my usage is illegal, my question is if its sinful.
On that basis, considering the principle of Jesus in Matthew 22, Mark 12 and Luke 20, (rendering unto Caesar and such) I would consider what you are doing a sin. It contravenes the laws of the country and the locality, probably. No; it's not doing really foul things, but one could get one's tail in door from it.

There are times when ignoring the statutory law is correct and non-sinful. Those situations ALWAYS boil down to the law forcing one to ignore God and God's commands. What you describe does not apply.

I suggest you find another way to deal with the problem. Of course, pray. God always has a solution; perhaps not the most comfortable at the moment, but the best in the long run.

While being a sin, it is immensely forgivable. Kicking it may be more of a problem, but it's forgivable. Not to mention it's one less legal matter on your mind.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
As a huge fan of The Twilight Zone your mention of Rod Serling made me smile. :)
I usually think of Rod Serling when reading the denouement of Job. It is not recorded that God ever told Job what had been going on. Then again, He's never told me much in that light, either. Usually I can figure it out and I have to believe God has a hand in that process. More than likely, Job came to the same conclusion.

Still, it does have some similarity to a Twilight Zone episode. Perhaps Alfred Hitchcock.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Gnostic_Christian

Feb 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟5,318.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It sounds like you don't have an addictive personality, thank God, but are using as a crutch.

Keep in mind that modern meds have side effects which may or may not be apparent even after prolonged use, but will rear ugly head when it's too late. Liver, kidneys, reproductive and immune systems can be affected. Also keep in mind that prescription meds are a multi trillion dollar industry and are the "bread and butter" of doctors/psychiatrists and drug labs.

I would suggest that you find the root of your problem through contemplative meditation and prayer. There may be a natural remedy like tea to help you sleep (probably no caffeine though).

See Matthew 7:7.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. All my thought on this comes from personal experience "in the field" research.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know what the Bible would say, don't think it says anything about Vicodin ;)

What Archie said seems sound. Either way, if you aren't using them to get high then why not switch to an actual sleeping pill? Regular Vicodin use can damage your liver.

• Prayers
Upvote 0