I'm getting started with prayer beads...

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*knock knock*
Presbyterian visitor here. :wave:

A friend of mine (ChasingADream) has been telling me about the Anglican rosary and I think it might be a great prayer practice for me. She's even making me my first one! I'm very excited to get started, and I've been doing a little looking online for prayer ideas, etc.

I was hoping, though, to get any personal advice you folks may have for getting started -- I'm a novice in this kind of prayer (not like anybody can be a prayer expert IMO, but you know what I mean), so any guidance you have to offer would be welcome. Links to prayer resources or just thoughts that you have from your own experience would be great -- whatever you're willing to share.

Thanks much! :groupray:

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Whilst most people suggest ACTS (adoration, confession, thanksgiving and supplication) I go for CATS. :)

I do not use an Anglican rosary even if I do have one (somewhere) but I would suggest you start with the creed followed by the Lord's Prayer followed by confession and perhaps you could work in the Kyrie Eleison. :)

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, I was hoping I'd get some responses eventually! :D

I think this could be a great way to meditate on scripture... take a short verse and repeat it for each of the weeks.

I read somewhere that the first use of Christian prayer beads was the Desert Fathers, who had strings of 150 beads, and used them as an aid to reciting all the psalms. I thought that was pretty cool. :)

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do not have to be a Desert Father to recite or read teh psalms.

I like to choose one for a week and recite it daily.

Some folks who have used prayer beads use the Kyrie, and words of adoration, such as the Sanctus.

Thanks. I've been using the Sanctus, actually.

And I think I'm going to use it to pray scripture, although it may be awhile before I work my way up to entire psalms. ;)

BTW, your username totally rocks.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like that idea of using a weekly Psalm. I've used some 1- or 2-verse sections, and that's great... so I think I'll do some more experimenting.

Praying scripture is such a powerful thing. I love that there is such a variety of expression in the Bible -- it shows that there is room for everything we could want to bring to the Lord.

Upvote 0

picnic

Veteran
Jun 20, 2006
UK
✟9,362.00
Faith
Calvinist
I've just recently got hold of a chotki, which is an orthodox thing with wooden beads. I'm trying to think of ways of how I might use to help me pray more. It has a wooden cross and 3 sets of 10 small beads with a large bead in between.

My thoughts go along the lines of
cross: Lord's prayer
large bead 1: Glory be
First 10 beads: Praising God.
large bead 2: Glory be
second 10 beads: Prayers of confession and supplication for myself.
large bead 3: Glory be
third lot of 10 beads: Prayers for friends/church/world.

Upvote 0

eb693

Feb 10, 2007
✟15,163.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never really thought about using prayer beads... I always half-thought they were mostly used by Catholics, but then, if they sell them in the Anglican cathedral in my city, then they must be also be used by the CofE :D Do you find them helpful for structure in your prayer? Or for focus?

Upvote 0

Tawny

Senior Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Buckinghamshire,UK
✟21,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
They are indeed used by the C of E. I use them :)

I tend to use them as structural prayer, the movement of the beads through my fingers and the rythmic prayers help me to focus as well

I tend to use the Angnus dei. Like this...

The Cross
The Lord’s Prayer

The Invitatory
"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my strength and my redeemer."—Psalm 19:14

The Cruciforms
Oh, Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world
have mercy upon us,
have mercy upon us,
give us Thy Peace.

The Weeks
Almighty and merciful Lord,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
bless us and keep us.
Amen.
*Agnus Dei means "Lamb of God"

I also use the Jesus prayer version - Like this

The Cross
In the Name of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

The Invitatory
O God make speed to save me (us),
O Lord make haste to help me (us),
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

The Cruciforms

Holy God,
Holy and Mighty,
Holy Immortal One,
Have mercy upon me (us).

The Weeks

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,
Have mercy on me, a sinner.

If you look at this site it has the history of the beads and prayers you can use.

Enjoy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ludovica

Genealogist
Oct 23, 2006
Hampshire, England
✟23,019.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I have made several sets of Anglican prayer beads
For the prayers I suggest
Cross. Apostles Creed
Invitatory, Our Father....
Cruciforms. Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of Hosts, Heaven and Earth are full of thy Glory, Hosanna in the Highest.. followed by the "Glory Be..."
Weeks Oh, Lamb of God that takest away the sins of the world have mercy upon us,
Oh, Lamb of God that takest away the sins of the world
have mercy upon us,
Oh, Lamb of God that takest away the sins of the world
grant us Thy Peace.

Upvote 0

GrannieAnnie

Senior Veteran
Mar 27, 2007
Western Australia
✟18,813.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh Tawny.....I just LOVED the site you recommended about the beads, I've printed...all 9 pages out...and I was almost out of ink. :D. I'm an ex-Catholic and of course grew up with Catholic Rosary beads, and I had no idea till the other day that there were other Christian praying beads. I'm definately going to get some, even if I have to make them myself. Praying with beads again will feel so familiar, but the prayers will be different. Thank you sooooo much.

Annie:wave:

Upvote 0

ludovica

Genealogist
Oct 23, 2006
Hampshire, England
✟23,019.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Oh Tawny.....I just LOVED the site you recommended about the beads, I've printed...all 9 pages out...and I was almost out of ink. :D. I'm an ex-Catholic and of course grew up with Catholic Rosary beads, and I had no idea till the other day that there were other Christian praying beads. I'm definately going to get some, even if I have to make them myself. Praying with beads again will feel so familiar, but the prayers will be different. Thank you sooooo much.

Annie:wave:
Which prayers do you think you might use?
I cant decide
Obviously the Creed for the cross then Our Father for the invitatory and Glory Be for the cruciforms, but I'm still looking for something I am happy with for the weeks

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Which prayers do you think you might use?
I cant decide
Obviously the Creed for the cross then Our Father for the invitatory and Glory Be for the cruciforms, but I'm still looking for something I am happy with for the weeks
How about the Jesus Prayer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ludovica

Genealogist
Oct 23, 2006
Hampshire, England
✟23,019.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
How about the Jesus Prayer?

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner" you mean?

Too short maybe? Maybe too "self centred"?
I've tried various combinations, but none seem to sit right with me yet

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I use a Catholic rosary, in the traditional way. I try not to gabble, but to make each prayer meaningful.

I say a Hail Mary for each bead (the ten little ones), then an Our Father with the Pater beads (the larger beads between the ten).

I also have a dolour rosary, which has other prayers to use at each of the stations, meditating on the sorrows of Our Lady.

If I wanted a simpler version, I think I would use the Kyrie for each bead.

I don't own any Anglican Beads - they tend to be a bit plain for me - but I have lots of different Catholic ones.

Upvote 0

ludovica

Genealogist
Oct 23, 2006
Hampshire, England
✟23,019.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I use a Catholic rosary, in the traditional way. I try not to gabble, but to make each prayer meaningful.

I say a Hail Mary for each bead (the ten little ones), then an Our Father with the Pater beads (the larger beads between the ten).

I also have a dolour rosary, which has other prayers to use at each of the stations, meditating on the sorrows of Our Lady.

If I wanted a simpler version, I think I would use the Kyrie for each bead.

I don't own any Anglican Beads - they tend to be a bit plain for me - but I have lots of different Catholic ones.
I pretty much have come to the same conclusion. The Catholic beads feel more comfortable and familiar... and long enough to put over your head! The Anglican string is too long for the wrist and too short for the neck so you have to hold them rather awkwardly and I feel it looks more ostentatious and indiscreet somehow if you can't "conceal" them as jewellery.
So, I'm sticking to the traditional arrangement, despite still feeling somewhat uncomfortable about Marian intercession

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I pretty much have come to the same conclusion. The Catholic beads feel more comfortable and familiar... and long enough to put over your head! The Anglican string is too long for the wrist and too short for the neck so you have to hold them rather awkwardly and I feel it looks more ostentatious and indiscreet somehow if you can't "conceal" them as jewellery.
So, I'm sticking to the traditional arrangement, despite still feeling somewhat uncomfortable about Marian intercession

Could you use the structure of the Catholic beads, but use non-Marian prayers?

I do like the idea of being able to have one be jewelry -- like you said, not as ostentatious.

I'm not regular with using the prayer beads, but I have found them very helpful in focusing my prayers, especially when I'm praying about a decision. I will sometimes take a short Bible verse and use that as one of the prayers.

Upvote 0

ludovica

Genealogist
Oct 23, 2006
Hampshire, England
✟23,019.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Could you use the structure of the Catholic beads, but use non-Marian prayers?

I do like the idea of being able to have one be jewelry -- like you said, not as ostentatious.

I'm not regular with using the prayer beads, but I have found them very helpful in focusing my prayers, especially when I'm praying about a decision. I will sometimes take a short Bible verse and use that as one of the prayers.
I'm afraid that was the problem anyway. I never found non-Marian prayers that felt right

Upvote 0