Lake Stevens
✟21,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On New Years, I made a list of things I want to do/change in my life starting in 2018. One of the things was, I wanted to grow closer to God. I talk to God a lot, and I've been speaking to him about this for awhile. I want to experience him on a closer/more personal level. I want to know Jesus on a more personal level. And I figure reading the Bible is a good way to start.

I guess I've just been feeling discouraged a little lately in my walk with God. I've been praying that God would open my ears to hear his still small voice, and that I would be aware of his Holy Spirit guiding me in certain areas of my life. But if I'm being honest, there's been nothing (that's I'm aware of). I'm not sure if Gods silent right now, or if he did give me and answer and I didn't hear it, or there's something blocking me from hearing. There's a lot of things that could be going on.
My only question to him is what? What am I missing?

Ive been trying to "expect" after I pray. Like expect he will answer my prayers. And I think I am? Its a huge mental battle for me. I struggle with obsessive/excessive thoughts. And when I spend time with God, and pray about specific things a lot, and don't see anything manefest. I get worried. And it sends me into a panic. Then I start freaking out that I'm worrying. Because worryings a sin. I'm a mess. lol.

I have been seeing God work on me on the inside though. Sometimes I get little revelations of how much God loves me through his word. I have been becoming more anxiety free. I have been having a more positive outlook on my life, and the things/people around me. Im becoming less lazy! AMEN! It's not all been bad!! And I know God is working on me. Maybe he wants me to be patient? Maybe I'm looking for a specific voice, and I need to just let go and let God? Maybe I should stop focusing on myself? Maybe I should be fasting? No idea. But I Pray, God will give me answers.

I hope you guys can pray that my walk with Jesus will go deeper. And I can experience him more personally. This has really been on my heart.

Thanks! God bless :)

Last edited:

Weathering Storms

Dec 16, 2017
Asheville
✟10,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Fasting is important. BUT sometimes, God IS quiet.

It could be because He wants you to seek out answers in His Word. Or because He wants to teach you persistence. It is highly doubtful you are just "missing" him.

We can also get close to Him, so that His voice begins to sound like our own conscious.
One way that always seems to get answers from Him for me is to start teaching a Bible study. It requires quite a bit of study, and I always seem to get answers for questions I'd forgotten that I'd asked.

Upvote 0

-GodsGirl-

Mar 19, 2017
Lake Stevens
✟21,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fasting is important. BUT sometimes, God IS quiet.

It could be because He wants you to seek out answers in His Word. Or because He wants to teach you persistence. It is highly doubtful you are just "missing" him.

We can also get close to Him, so that His voice begins to sound like our own conscious.
One way that always seems to get answers from Him for me is to start teaching a Bible study. It requires quite a bit of study, and I always seem to get answers for questions I'd forgotten that I'd asked.

I have been feeling like maybe He wants me to be 'persistent' like you mentioned. Because, I have fallen away a lot in the past, as soon as I decided God wasn't speaking to me and I thought He was ignoring me. lol. So maybe he does want to teach me that? I'm not sure. But I have been interested in fasting. I'm not sure how to fast, but I will read up and pray about it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
fasting even has health benefits. supposedly when you fast your body breaks down damaged immune system cells and creates new ones or something like that.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
On New Years, I made a list of things I want to do/change in my life starting in 2018. One of the things was, I wanted to grow closer to God. I talk to God a lot, and I've been speaking to him about this for awhile. I want to experience him on a closer/more personal level. I want to know Jesus on a more personal level. And I figure reading the Bible is a good way to start.

I guess I've just been feeling discouraged a little lately in my walk with God. I've been praying that God would open my ears to hear his still small voice, and that I would be aware of his Holy Spirit guiding me in certain areas of my life. But if I'm being honest, there's been nothing (that's I'm aware of). I'm not sure if Gods silent right now, or if he did give me and answer and I didn't hear it, or there's something blocking me from hearing. There's a lot of things that could be going on.

Ive been trying to "expect" after I pray. Like expect he will answer my prayers. And I think I am? Its a huge mental battle for me. I struggle with obsessive/excessive thoughts. And when I spend time with God, and pray about specific things a lot, and don't see anything manefest. I get worried. And it sends me into a panic. Then I start freaking out that I'm worrying. Because worryings a sin. I'm a mess. lol.

I have been seeing God work on me on the inside though. Sometimes I get little revelations of how much God loves me through his word. I have been becoming more anxiety free. I have been having a more positive outlook on my life, and the things/people around me. Im becoming less lazy! AMEN! It's not all been bad!! And I know God is working on me. Maybe he wants me to be patient? Maybe I'm looking for a specific voice, and I need to just let go and let God? Maybe I should stop focusing on myself? Maybe I should be fasting? No idea. But I Pray, God will give me answers.

I hope you guys can pray that my walk with Jesus will go deeper. And I can experience him more personally. This has really been on my heart.

You mentioned fasting GG, and I believe that might be the way forward for you; only, the most important aspect of fasting is the mortification of our will, so it doesn't have to relate to food intake. Our gestures don't have to be epic, either. One of the advantages of small acts of self-denial is that it's easier not to pat ourselves on the back. But God still seems to be impressed by even our small acts of self-denial.

Upvote 0

-GodsGirl-

Mar 19, 2017
Lake Stevens
✟21,036.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mentioned fasting GG, and I believe that might be the way forward for you; only, the most important aspect of fasting is the mortification of our will, so it doesn't have to relate to food intake. Our gestures don't have to be epic, either. One of the advantages of small acts of self-denial is that it's easier not to pat ourselves on the back. But God still seems to be impressed by even our small acts of self-denial.

Oh okay. So it doesn't have to be food? I could fast from the internet, or social media? I thought it was strictly food. Although, I would like to fast food for a day or so! Or even fast a meal. I'm excited to fast and expect from God :) Thanks for your comment!

• Agree
Reactions: paul becke
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Oh okay. So it doesn't have to be food? I could fast from the internet, or social media? I thought it was strictly food. Although, I would like to fast food for a day or so! Or even fast a meal. I'm excited to fast and expect from God :) Thanks for your comment!

Yes. That was the point, GodsGirl. Though I didn't intend to disparage fasting from food. All grist to the mill. I believe, fasting from food seems to help to spiritualise our bodies in addition to benefiting us via mortification of the will.

Last edited:
Reactions: -GodsGirl-
Upvote 0

Kdutree

Dec 29, 2017
McDonough
✟18,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

I agree with everyone who suggests that you should fast. If you want to hear from God, sometimes we have to quiet the things around us. I find that turning away from social media, excessive talking on the phone, radio, television, etc. (I been stopped watching tv), maybe you can start with quieting your environment for a period of time (as a fast) so that you can pray, read the word, and worship. Do this for about 3 days and see the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Gods'

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's girl

I can only tell you what I have learned over the last 55 years of growing in the Spirit of God.
First, It is a hard journey. If anyone tells you otherwise, look at Jesus life on this Earth. Second, receiving the Holy Spirit in ones life is gift from God, NOT MAN.
There is a group which God choses for Himself, yes, for Himself. This group is called the Elect of God. You will very seldom hear about this group in any of todays churches. It is God who choses them. Man can not delegate other people as being spiritually saved as in heard in todays'churches. That puts it into man's hands. This is certainly were one does not want to be.
So what does it take to gain this closer walk with God? It takes FAITH.It also takes a lot of study with prayer for the Holy Spirit to guide your mind in the right direction. Spiritual salvation is certainly a precious gift from God, and not from man.
I suggest that you start by praying in the best way you can. God will show his elect the path as they are read for it. He will also give more gifts as one learns how to handle them.
Sorry, but I know of no short cut. I can tell you this from my experience. This spiritual enlightenment comes in small ways that are often not seen right away.

I pray this helps you in your struggle.

James_1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraids not; and it shall be given him.

Mat_21:22 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.

Andy Centek

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I agree with everyone who suggests that you should fast. If you want to hear from God, sometimes we have to quiet the things around us. I find that turning away from social media, excessive talking on the phone, radio, television, etc. (I been stopped watching tv), maybe you can start with quieting your environment for a period of time (as a fast) so that you can pray, read the word, and worship. Do this for about 3 days and see the difference.

Yes, KD, TV is really pagan now. With a few rare exceptions, I expect, only some of the documentaries would be worth watching, now, but I sold my TV several years ago.

Upvote 0

Kdutree

Dec 29, 2017
McDonough
✟18,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, KD, TV is really pagan now. With a few rare exceptions, I expect, only some of the documentaries would be worth watching, now, but I sold my TV several years ago.
lol..I know (I stop watching tv some years now)... my home is somewhat of a modern day mountain experience (the world is so noisy-too many voices) I desperately need to keep my ears inclined.

Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kdutree

I hear you. If I were by myself I think I would do the same thing. I spent the vast majority of my time studying the scritpures, Gnostic writings, Books, etc.
Lately, since I have found this site I spend much time here writing and answering peoples questions.

Blessings

Andy C

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kdutree

Dec 29, 2017
McDonough
✟18,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Kdutree

I hear you. If I were by myself I think I would do the same thing. I spent the vast majority of my time studying the scritpures, Gnostic writings, Books, etc.
Lately, since I have found this site I spend much time here writing and answering peoples questions.

Blessings

Andy C

It's not quite as is easy as I sound (I have 8 yr. old twins), However, I do lock away or just tune them out as I walk around the house praying in the spirit (they're use to me doing this and know that mama be in her own world with the Lord:) The presence really fall when I'm taken up-this is when it feels like the mountain experience (for me). One of my sons just start to follow me around (he was diagnosed with Autism) but he just finds it fascinating how I tune them out when I'm in such a prayer.

Upvote 0

Andy centek

Seeker of Deep Truth
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2018
mich
✟68,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
kdutree:

I hear you brother. Of course the family is important, just as the family of God is important to Him. When I get low, I look up, and ask for help getting through with whatever the trouble is. I am past the family thing, for I am 80 years of aging now. God has given me more than I deserve in understanding. So now I try to spread it to others who have troubles with it.

Peace and blessings to You and Yours

Andy C

Upvote 0

Kdutree

Dec 29, 2017
McDonough
✟18,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
kdutree:

I hear you brother. Of course the family is important, just as the family of God is important to Him. When I get low, I look up, and ask for help getting through with whatever the trouble is. I am past the family thing, for I am 80 years of aging now. God has given me more than I deserve in understanding. So now I try to spread it to others who have troubles with it.

Peace and blessings to You and Yours

Andy C
I'm realizing that is what it's all about. I have noticed that helping others takes my mind off my situation. When we take care of others God takes care of us. You be blessed:)

Upvote 0

Geoghegan

Too many questions.
Jan 24, 2018
Chicago
✟16,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I struggle all the time with "Is God listening?" I am constantly worried about having committed the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because of my past, so I am hyper vigilant about noticing where I see God's hand. I calmed down when I sat down and really analyzed my life. I can see God's hand all over my life, even my past where I was screwing it all up, there He was!

For me, fasting is a huge part of my personal journey.
I also listen to YouTube teachers all the time. I have them going whenever it's quiet; you will be so moved by some good teachers. I would recommend Bill Johnson of Bethel for some great teaching and depth. God bless.

Upvote 0