A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
something happened at church friday that has left me feeling really odd and kinda upset. we were praying for the baptism of the Holy Ghost for those who needed to be filled or re-filled. my pastor prayed that i would be filled, and then she sent one of the ladies to pray over me and another one to pray over my mom. my mom doesn't speak in tongues. i've been speaking in tongues since i was 16 (so i thought it was odd they would pray such a prayer over me). when they approached us, the first thing they did was ask us do we want to be filled with the Holy Spirit. but why would they make the assumption that we're not filled already? i think i would've appreciated it if they would've asked us ARE we filled with the Holy Spirit instead of assuming that we weren't. we've been going to this church for almost 2 years now. do they honestly think that we haven't received the Holy Spirit after all this time if not before we came there? this has been nagging me. i told the lady that i pray in the Spirit, and she said 'well say something in tongues then'...... i felt like i had to go through some screening or something to prove i was filled by the Holy Spirit. this left me feeling really bad afterwards. i could tell my mom was really hurt by this. she's never spoken in tongues, and i dont think she has a very good understanding of what it means to be filled with the Spirit and the spiritual gifts that come afterwards. she spent a lot of years in the Baptist church where they taught that the gifts had ceased, and for her to have an experience like this would only make her more resistant to it. now i dont know how to explain this to my mom. i'm having trouble understanding why it happened myself.... i thought the LORD knew those that were His? why would they have to screen us to see if we're filled with the Holy Ghost or not? and since when are they the ones that determine such a thing? the lady wouldn't go away until i started praying in tongues...... i guess afterwards she felt like she had some power and it made her feel good that i was now 'filled with the Spirit' as a result of her praying for me. but i've been praying this way since i was 16. i felt hurt that they would do this without at least asking us if we were already filled... personally, i dont believe that speaking in tongues proves who's filled and who's not filled. i believe it's a result of being filled, but it doesn't prove that you're filled..... experiences like this is what causes a lot of people to reject the baptism of the Holy Ghost. this has made me question a lot of things about my church, and i dont like it that my mom is hurt over all this and i dont know how to explain it to her... i really feel like they should be the ones to explain

UnderHisWings1979

Passionate Pursuer of Christ
Jan 24, 2009
Sanger, TX
✟16,067.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. Experiences like yours are the reason my parents left the charismatic movement when I was a teenager. I have visited several churches like that over the years. It is my belief that what you experienced demonstrates a misunderstanding of the gifts of the Spirit as much as the Baptists teaching that the gifts have ceased. They are two extremes. I know this may not be easy to hear, but I believe (firmly) that you need to pray about whether you should find another church. There are churches with a healthy view of the gifts of the Spirit.

As far as responding to how your mom probably feels, I would just ask her how she feels about it. Give her the opportunity to open up to you about it, and then talk to her about the Biblical meaning of the gifts and what their role should be in our lives. Finding a church with a healthy view on the gifts will also help her, by allowing her to see them used properly.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jazzypooh, I am sorry you went through this - I think the best way to respond to something like this is to cheerfully say something like, well, I've been filled before, but I can always use more of the Holy Spirit!! :) As for explaining to your mom - well, one possibility is to call the pastor (depending upon how available she makes herself) and explain to her your situation and ask what you should say to your mom. I am all for being up front about these things and hope your pastor will speak with you both about it. There are so many different understandings of what "baptized in the Holy Spirit" and "filled with the Spirit" mean. I personally feel that you are "baptized initially and you have different infillings for different purposeses. The scriptural example that comes to mind is Peter - he was "baptized" in the upper room, then "filled with the Holy Spirit" he delivered such a powerful gospel message that 3,000 souls were saved.....

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm so sorry for what you have gone through. Experiences like yours are the reason my parents left the charismatic movement when I was a teenager. I have visited several churches like that over the years. It is my belief that what you experienced demonstrates a misunderstanding of the gifts of the Spirit as much as the Baptists teaching that the gifts have ceased. They are two extremes. I know this may not be easy to hear, but I believe (firmly) that you need to pray about whether you should find another church. There are churches with a healthy view of the gifts of the Spirit.

As far as responding to how your mom probably feels, I would just ask her how she feels about it. Give her the opportunity to open up to you about it, and then talk to her about the Biblical meaning of the gifts and what their role should be in our lives. Finding a church with a healthy view on the gifts will also help her, by allowing her to see them used properly.

i was actually already thinking about going to another church before this and this experience has only pushed me further out the door...

i got the feeling that they had this 'holier than thou' mentality or 'we're the only ones that are saved in this church'.... i hate self-righteousness. i also hate that they think everyone and anyone who comes into the church is not saved just because they didn't grow up in their church or because they came from a church that's different from theirs. i've been there 2 years already. if i'm not saved by now, when will i be? :doh: it's actually funny to me, because i know i was saved before i even joined this church. i believe in holiness, but there is a self-righteousness that likes to fill 'holiness' churches and make them think they are better than others. this i DONT believe

well, i thank God for the lessons learned. in the end, it only pushes me closer into His arms. i'll admit when i first got there i grew tremendously. but lately, i have not been growing as a result of this ministry. lately my spiritual growth has been a result of personal intimacy with God ONLY. not that i wasn't intimate with Him when i got there, but in addition to that i was also being fed through the ministry gifts and the fellowship at this church. but lately, things have been going south. the ministry has changed, and i'm no longer getting what i used to get from this church. so i'm thinking it's time for me to move on

Upvote 0

UnderHisWings1979

Passionate Pursuer of Christ
Jan 24, 2009
Sanger, TX
✟16,067.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i was actually already thinking about going to another church before this and this experience has only pushed me further out the door...

i got the feeling that they had this 'holier than thou' mentality or 'we're the only ones that are saved in this church'.... i hate self-righteousness. i also hate that they think everyone and anyone who comes into the church is not saved just because they didn't grow up in their church or because they came from a church that's different from theirs. i've been there 2 years already. if i'm not saved by now, when will i be? :doh: it's actually funny to me, because i know i was saved before i even joined this church. i believe in holiness, but there is a self-righteousness that likes to fill 'holiness' churches and make them think they are better than others. this i DONT believe

well, i thank God for the lessons learned. in the end, it only pushes me closer into His arms. i'll admit when i first got there i grew tremendously. but lately, i have not been growing as a result of this ministry. lately my spiritual growth has been a result of personal intimacy with God ONLY. not that i wasn't intimate with Him when i got there, but in addition to that i was also being fed through the ministry gifts and the fellowship at this church. but lately, things have been going south. the ministry has changed, and i'm no longer getting what i used to get from this church. so i'm thinking it's time for me to move on

That's the right attitude to have. "In all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." What the enemy intended to deter you, He will use to make you stronger.

Reactions: jazzypooh
Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But as I understand it, and thing is did you ask them what they meant by it, cause might not have been implying you don't have God's spirit in you.

i in fact did ask her. i told her i was already filled and i already pray in the Spirit, so should i ask God to refill me? and she said 'well say something in tongues then.' i do not believe the gifts of the Spirit operate that way where we can turn it off and on at our will. i believe it is a PRAYER language between you and your God. not you and whoever feels the need to know if you communicate with God in such a way. and if i would've gave her what she wanted, then i would've been putting on a show for her. the Holy Spirit would not allow me to do that, because i felt like she was sorta putting me on front street - like she was trying to screen me or something. but i believe we are to be led by the Spirit in ALL things even in our prayer life, whether we're praying in English or praying in tongues. so when she said that to me, i had to laugh to keep from saying something out of my flesh. that's when she said 'yea, you need to be filled with Holy Ghost' and she said it sarcastically implying that i was not already filled... :bow:

i believe in being re-filled with the Holy Spirit even after you've been filled already. however, i believe that a re-filling is simply a refreshing of the Holy Ghost and that it is needed when you are in a drought spiritually. i have not been in a drought spiritually. i've been closer to God at this time in my life than at any other time in my walk with Him

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jazzypooh, I am sorry you went through this - I think the best way to respond to something like this is to cheerfully say something like, well, I've been filled before, but I can always use more of the Holy Spirit!! :) As for explaining to your mom - well, one possibility is to call the pastor (depending upon how available she makes herself) and explain to her your situation and ask what you should say to your mom. I am all for being up front about these things and hope your pastor will speak with you both about it. There are so many different understandings of what "baptized in the Holy Spirit" and "filled with the Spirit" mean. I personally feel that you are "baptized initially and you have different infillings for different purposeses. The scriptural example that comes to mind is Peter - he was "baptized" in the upper room, then "filled with the Holy Spirit" he delivered such a powerful gospel message that 3,000 souls were saved.....

blessings
tal

when i first joined this church, i was able to talk to my pastor about anything or any problem i was having. but lately i feel as though i cannot talk to her about anything. there is a distance there spiritually. i dont know exactly what it is, but i do know there is a disconnection there. so i doubt i will be talking to her about anything unless she initiates it. there were several times last year i tried to contact her about different issues, and each time it was unsuccessful. so i feel like it's a waste of time. i feel like whatever God intended for me to receive from this ministry i have already received it, and now it's time to move on. whenever a pastor disconnects from you spiritually that is a BIG sign it's time to look for another pastor. so i dont feel led to make any more attempts to talk to her. i feel led to find a new church

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the right attitude to have. "In all things, God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." What the enemy intended to deter you, He will use to make you stronger.

thank you. :) i believe that to be true. and i look at all things - good or bad - from this view point that God is using it all to work something good in my life

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Jazzy, lots of people that aren’t saved, go to church. I’ve found quite a number of these, usually in the case where their spouse or family member would bring them and sort of urge them to… play along? Then of course those unsaved that truly come to seek, and sometimes that can be in question for themselves for ..months/years? But sometimes Bro’s/Sis’s in Christ are distant and just go from routine, so it’s not always so automatic at all times to experience deeper touches while in sanctuary. Dunno… I had an opposite exp yesterday, I walked into sanctuary an I just felt the energy, I almost danced down the walkway to me seat… hah but kept composure with only a smile. My church is pretty well composed, but God the Holy Spirit is so at work and moving, in deep ways there.

As for outwardly display of gifts for reason of reassuring ones/others relation to the Lord, I don’t know, seems short? What were they? Or is it all tongues there? Some can tell you know, w/o need to ask, at least in time, depending on the emphasis of their gift/operation (can be for diverse purposes). That is of course always the work of the Holy Spirit, and even one that can or may ask may be lacking at any certain time so to not discern correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

River of Zion

By water and blood the Spirit of Truth testifies
Feb 13, 2009
United States
✟8,857.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I too have had bad experiences with the pentacostal, four square, charismatic, and most off shoots of this nature. I am sorry you experienced this jazzy. In my own experiences I just took it to the Lord and poured out my hurt and exasperation.

To be honest it often took weeks and sometime months to talk to Him about, it also caused many conflicts within myself and my walk with the Lord. Eventually He helped me get straight with His thoughts concerning where my walk and abilities were and not where "others" believed I was.

4hurting is so correct in the statements he has made. Perhaps this happened jazzy because the Holy Spirit is revealing the Truth. It might be time to move on.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure, but I wouldn’t make any snap decisions on that. Look, it’s really easy to have a negative exp, then go off looking for a new church, then wind up going to no church, which is worse than the beginning. If you really feel being led to another place, then visit other churches but keep fellowship where you are at for the time being. Give it time, make cautious decisions. You don’t want to backslide over assumptions or miscommunications from some seemingly off kilter experience.

Upvote 0

Mrs Butterworth

Oct 4, 2008
✟639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some people can get so cought up in something that they think if you arn't like them, if you you don't do, see or follow along with the things they do, then you are not as spiritual as they are, and theirfore need help. This can be very demeaning when the person they need to "help" is you. When this behavior extends beyond you to someone who is dear to you, it can be even more distressing. It can make you question their theology and that of those who support it. Spiriturality should never be an exclusive club.

As for your mother, I wouldn't worry about her so much, God is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (well I think you get the picture) bigger then some misguided individual and a church that may be supporting that individual. God is capable of turning this around for the good, and I believe he will,...Just pray.

As for you, from reading your writings, it is very clear to me that you most definitly are a mature Christian who seems to know more about spiritural things then these other people do. Futhermore, though you have never needed acnowledgement of this fact, I wish to acnowledge that you have made many mature, insightful contributions to this forum and I apreciate your care and efforts. If I have embarrased you by saying this, I don't apologize for it, I think you need to hear it because it's the truth. On a side note, I am also not worried about how that statement could go to your head, because you do not sound like someone who would let this happen to her.

As for your church it would be benificial to them for you to write them a letter and explain what happened . They need to know what they did wrong, and the effect that it had on you and your mother. Don't expect them to agree with you, or see things your way, in fact they could get quite defensive and try to retaliate. You are not writing the letter for you. You would be writing the letter for them. You are showing them the error of their ways and giving them an opportunity to change before they start to experience the consequences for their behavior. If they heed you it will be benificial to them, if they don't, (and they probably won't) then you have done all you can do to try to save them from some consequences that can be fairly unplesant.

I am sorry that incident in the church happened to you, but, as many people before me have said, God will use this for the good. Just you wait and see. He, loves you. He sees what's going on. He knows how you are feeling, and he is in control over the situation.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-Psalms34 said:
But sometimes Bro’s/Sis’s in Christ are distant and just go from routine,

i'm not talking about brother's and sister's here. i'm talking about your pastor (there is a difference) - the one who God has told to keep watch over your soul. if they are no longer doing that, then you should not remain under them. if they are not helping you to grow spiritually, then they are doing the opposite

Sure, but I wouldn’t make any snap decisions on that. Look, it’s really easy to have a negative exp, then go off looking for a new church, then wind up going to no church, which is worse than the beginning. If you really feel being led to another place, then visit other churches but keep fellowship where you are at for the time being. Give it time, make cautious decisions. You don’t want to backslide over assumptions or miscommunications from some seemingly off kilter experience.

Psalm34, i appreciate your concern but not once did i ever say i was considering backsliding or even that this has effected my relationship with the Lord. i stated in an earlier post that right now i'm closer to God now than at any other time in my relationship with Him. in spite of this one bad experience, the experiences i've been having with God FAR outweigh this one. from what i've dealt with in the past (even past experiences with churches that were HORRIBLE), its gonna take something much more than this to make me leave the Lord :). and even in that, His grace will remain sufficient and enable me to stand against that as well. i believe God is faithful to us and is able to KEEP US FROM FALLING. this just may be His way of keeping me from falling by leading me elsewhere. situations like these can damage your faith

and this isn't just 'a negative experience'. this is sorta like the straw that broke the camel's back. and to be honest, this is not even my sole reason for leaving this church. something (besides this) has changed about my church, and it hasn't been a positive change. i can't quite tell exactly what has happened, but my spiritual antenae have raised a red flag in this situation. if you are sensitive to the Spirit then you can detect when an atmosphere has changed or is being influenced by a demonic presence. my pastor has not been herself lately. and she has distanced herself from certain people in the church. her behavior has changed tremedously, and i've been getting signals from God that it's time to go. like i said earlier, anytime a pastor distances themselves from you and disconnects from you spiritually, then it is time to move on. environments like this become a danger to your spiritual health, and my faith is too precious for me to let someone rob me of it

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people can get so cought up in something that they think if you arn't like them, if you you don't do, see or follow along with the things they do, then you are not as spiritual as they are, and theirfore need help. This can be very demeaning when the person they need to "help" is you. When this behavior extends beyond you to someone who is dear to you, it can be even more distressing. It can make you question their theology and that of those who support it. Spiriturality should never be an exclusive club.

that is true. honestly, i felt like if they were truly operating in the gifts of the Spirit then they would've been able to discern exactly how to pray for us, and they would've known that this was not something they needed to pray for. i'll take a re-filling anytime (let it overflow, Lord! :)), but for them to assume that i did not have the Holy Ghost shows me that they have no discernment or were not using it when they prayed for us. that's not to brag on my part. it's just to say that i know where i am in the Lord and WHOSE i am

As for your mother, I wouldn't worry about her so much, God is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (well I think you get the picture) bigger then some misguided individual and a church that may be supporting that individual. God is capable of turning this around for the good, and I believe he will,...Just pray.

i believe my mother is much stronger than how i sometimes perceive her. like me, she has dealt with some much worse experiences (even from 'churches') than this one. i grew up in a very religious Baptist church, and we dealt with so much there during that time. it was always one thing after another every single service. if i can deal with that and come out of it being closer to God, then this thing certainly wont move me. i believe the same to be true about my mother

As for you, from reading your writings, it is very clear to me that you most definitly are a mature Christian who seems to know more about spiritural things then these other people do. Futhermore, though you have never needed acnowledgement of this fact, I wish to acnowledge that you have made many mature, insightful contributions to this forum and I apreciate your care and efforts. If I have embarrased you by saying this, I don't apologize for it, I think you need to hear it because it's the truth. On a side note, I am also not worried about how that statement could go to your head, because you do not sound like someone who would let this happen to her.

thank you for the compliment. :hug: no, i'm not embarrassed neither has it made me 'big-headed' (as my mother would say). lol. however God uses me, i believe its HIM working through me and not me at all. He gets all the glory

As for your church it would be benificial to them for you to write them a letter and explain what happened . They need to know what they did wrong, and the effect that it had on you and your mother. Don't expect them to agree with you, or see things your way, in fact they could get quite defensive and try to retaliate. You are not writing the letter for you. You would be writing the letter for them. You are showing them the error of their ways and giving them an opportunity to change before they start to experience the consequences for their behavior. If they heed you it will be benificial to them, if they don't, (and they probably won't) then you have done all you can do to try to save them from some consequences that can be fairly unplesant.

i thought about writing a letter, and another friend suggested i do the same thing. i will pray on it some more. sometime God has to deal with the hurt first so we wont be led by our hurt feelings, but instead be led by His Spirit. so i will talk to God so more about this. thanks

I am sorry that incident in the church happened to you, but, as many people before me have said, God will use this for the good. Just you wait and see. He, loves you. He sees what's going on. He knows how you are feeling, and he is in control over the situation.

:hug::kiss::amen::clap::prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iamjcs

Dec 19, 2005
NE Alabama
✟2,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
1 Cor. 12:7-31 - Show Context
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. 12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free--and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15 If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it. 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, also those having gifts of healing, those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and 8th those speaking in different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the biblical basis for the belief that a Spirit-filled believer will necessarily speak in tongues?

From all that I have read, Scripture seems to teach somewhat the opposite, that different Christians have differing gifts and that we have no basis to judge or look down on others for the gifts that the person may or may not have.

Upvote 0

Mrs Butterworth

Oct 4, 2008
✟639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 34 I wouldn't worry about Jazz backsliding, or jumping churches due to an isolated incident. According to what Jazz wrote in one of her posts, she was having "this ain't right" feelings (this is my paraphrase of what she said, not the exact words she used) about many other happenings in her church.

Like the subtle signs of a hurricane before any of the outer bands come ashore, the light breeze, the smell of tropical moisture, the inexplicably high surf, and the appearance of sea birds far inland, she was picking up on clues that told her that what she was seeing was not simply the arrival of any ordinary storm. This is how many people in the past, who at the most only had very basic scientific instruments, knew ahead of time that something big and potentially dangerous was about to happen. They watched and listened, and learned how to discern the things they were noticing, and what these things could potentially mean. Do not fault Jazz for doing this, it is an important life skill, one that I wish I had been a lot better at when I was younger.

As for you Jazz, you have my sympathies. Letter writing, like the kind I suggested, is never easy, but is sometimes is beneficial to the other party involved and can leave you with a clear conscious because you did your duty to warn them of the consequences of their actions.

You are correct, you should not write the letter when you are angry. In my case, writing a letter after I have gotten to a place where I have forgiven the wrongs, helps me not include certain adjectives, innuendos, and other generally hurtful things that I would otherwise really really really want to put in. Also, if I am calm, and have gotten to the point where I have forgiven the person or party who I feel had wronged me, I can be objective, constructively (not creatively!) critical, without vengeance, and most importantly, I can look out for the other person welfare.

Take the time to lay all your feelings out before the Lord. Include past hurts and any fears of tomorrow you may have. God is capable of handling your hurt and your anger. If he wasn't able to do this he would have ditched every of us by now. Besides, he already knows how you are feeling, why not express the feelings and the sin that can come with it, (anger, desire to seek revenge, thinking bad things about someone else) and let the wonderful counselor do what he does best. Remember you are a child of God. No one likes to see their children hurting emotionally, and although human parents don't always know what to do or say to help our their own children, God on the other hand, does. He's a lot smarter and wiser then us, he is also a lot more empathic and able to understand our needs better then any human on earth.

It's a bit late for this to help you this time around, but there is a really good book that I suggest you read (if you haven't already). It's called "Victory Over The Darkness", I think the author's name is Niel Anderson. It deals with issues of hurt and forgiveness and who you are in Christ (what could be called self esteem in Christ, for lack of better words.) I highly recommend it to anyone.

Upvote 0

jazzypooh

A Jewel In His Sight
Jul 5, 2007
Illinois
✟17,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the biblical basis for the belief that a Spirit-filled believer will necessarily speak in tongues?

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Jesus said that tongues would be a sign of them that believe. i believe all believer's should speak in tongues, but that is a decision they have to make on their own. if they dont want to that's perfectly fine. nevertheless, it is offered to all. i dont condemn people who dont. but i would recommend that they ask the Lord for this gift because it is a HUGE benefit to one's spiritual life. when i got baptized in the Spirit my spiritual life began to flourish like never before. i started to really grow in the Lord, i got a deeper understanding of the Word, and i would get revelation in prayer concerning certain situations. so that is why i believe all should ask for this gift, but i dont tell people that they're not saved just because they dont. my mother is saved, but she doesn't speak in tongues. we were actually having a conversation about it earlier this morning. i believe she will soon start to seek God for this gift :pray:

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Jesus said that tongues would be a sign of them that believe. i believe all believer's should speak in tongues, but that is a decision they have to make on their own. if they dont want to that's perfectly fine. nevertheless, it is offered to all. i dont condemn people who dont. but i would recommend that they ask the Lord for this gift because it is a HUGE benefit to one's spiritual life. when i got baptized in the Spirit my spiritual life began to flourish like never before. i started to really grow in the Lord, i got a deeper understanding of the Word, and i would get revelation in prayer concerning certain situations. so that is why i believe all should ask for this gift, but i dont tell people that they're not saved just because they dont. my mother is saved, but she doesn't speak in tongues. we were actually having a conversation about it earlier this morning. i believe she will soon start to seek God for this gift :pray:

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you won't take too much offense at my reponse: The main problem that I have with this interpretation is that it seems to directly contradict other passages of Scripture, such as 1 Cor. 12. I also can't help but notice that the vast majority of churches that teach that "real Christians" speak in tongues don't encourage their members to "prove" their faith by drinking poisoned Kool-Aid (well, there was that one church, and we all know how that went down). It's also interesting that this very significant bit of theology seems to be based entirely on a passage of Scripture that does not appear in the original manuscripts of the Gospel of Mark. All of these facts tend to make me a bit cynical of that aspect of some parts of the charismatic/pentecostal movement.

Please don't take anything I say as a complete dismissal of charismatic/pentecostal theology. There are many aspects of pentecostalism that have had a postive impact on the Church as a whole. But, like many things, I believe some people take some aspects of C/P theology to a level that is destructive to the body and downright unbiblical. The belief that all Spirit-filled people will speak in tongues, or at least will be able to, is one such belief.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.