martinedwards

Sep 9, 2005
Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
✟15,179.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Chances are thier heart never was really in it in the first place.

There is the possibility that "my heart not in it" is a polite way of covering up another reason.

Maybe God is calling them to another ministry. I hardly ever preach anymore cos I do the music. Is my heart not in preaching anymore? No, that's not it, but there are only so many hours oin the day and my wife & kids deserve a look in every now & then!!

Upvote 0

becky81101

without music, life would be a mistake
Jan 21, 2005
✟919.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This actually happened to our team this past year. It turned out a few weeks after he left that it was a cover up for another reason. He was having some personal spiritual problems and didn't feel like he should be on the team. He currently is still not back on the team. And I don't know if he ever will want to be back on again. But honestly, I didn't want someone on the team who claimed their heart wasn't in it, because that's what worship is about. He has accountability from a man in the church, so it's not like I left him hanging. I am very concerned about him - but have realized it is not my place to do anything but pray for him at this point. But as far as the general 'my heart isn't in it anymore' - I think you have a right if you are the ministry team leader to dig deeper. You can ask if there is another area they might be interested in or if there's anything that happened on the team to cause them to want to leave it, etc. Because if there is a problem that caused them to want to leave (and trust me, there can be problems going on that you even as a leader aren't aware of) then you want to fix it so no one else leaves. Anyways - that's my 2 cents :)
Becky

Upvote 0

vanilla8

He is wise, who is wise through God
Oct 16, 2005
Scotland, Shetland Islands
✟11,954.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, our worship team has taken quite a battering over the last year, its quite hard for many of us to feel much enthusiasim! No decisions are being taken until after New Year so I will just pray that God breaks through soon. At the moment, its kinda like we cant afford to lose any more members, even if they were feeling the desire to move into other areas of ministry, but that's not really a good enough reason to keep them.
In your experience, if someone has a break of 6 months or so, are thay likely to come back?
Vanilla8

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
Definately, probably would check the reasons why in case they were feeling left out or uncomfortable with someone in the group, but if its solely because there heart wasn't in it, and they felt they couldn't worship with feeling, then let them leave.

Im-revived:pray:

vanilla8 said:
If one of the members of your worship team said they wanted to leave, that their heart wasn't really in it any more, would you be happy to release them?

Upvote 0

KayD

Oct 31, 2005
United States
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
As others have pointed out, there could be many underlying reasons for the cause of his departure. Sometimes it could be a personal issue, sometimes spiritual, sometimes, it's just a matter of the Lord expanding the individual's ministry by allowing him or her to expand in other areas. It could even be all of the above. Whatever the cause, however, let the individual know that there are still valuable member even though they will not be there. Still be encouraging and sympathetic. Only the Lord truly knows the contents of a person's heart.

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

Praying that your worship team will receive guidance from the Lord on the 14th, vanilla8. :crossrc:

From my experience at church, people leave the team most often when there are interpersonal problems. In one case, one of the members was too bossy to another member. In another case, the leader wasn't very strong and didn't seem to care about the quality of the music, which was discouraging to the people who were striving to better their playing and better the team.

Sometimes God does call people away into other ministries. It can be a chance for the team to pick up new members, if there are any people in the congregation who were holding back because they thought there were enough team members already.

But other times, a person who wants to leave is just being polite by saying their heart isn't into it. There could be other reasons, like other posters have said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
vanilla8 said:
If one of the members of your worship team said they wanted to leave, that their heart wasn't really in it any more, would you be happy to release them?

The key is finding out why their heart isn't in it. Have a quiet, pressure-free discussion with them one-on-one and just listen to what they have to say. Think about the interpersonal dynamics of your worship team-- does everyone have an opportunity to contribute to the arrangement process beyond just playing/singing? Are everyone's suggestions being taken into consideration? To what extent are they being implemented? Maybe this person has some great ideas but feels creatively stifled... Musicians can be a sensitive lot, you know!

To illustrate the point: I was in a similar situation 10 years ago, I had grown very tired of playing in the worship band. I had no input into the creative aspect of the arranging process-- I was just the drummer, right? I showed up, played my parts, broke down my gear, and left week after week. The worship team leader called all the shots, which was acceptable to a point; every group needs some kind of direction, but it really wore on me after a while. Musically, I lean more towards collective interaction, improvisation and experimentation; needless to say, my style didn't really mesh with the regimented approach in place. I moved away after a year or so to go to college, but I probably would have left regardless.... Sorry, didn't mean to rant! :sorry:

Upvote 0

vanilla8

Oct 16, 2005
✟11,954.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Well, it feels like we've now reached meltdown :( There's just so much going wrong that I hardly know how to tell it all, but it seems that there is a deep fracture in the structure of the group, there's no unity, the leader doesn't want to lead but there's no-one else to do it (we have one group leader, but a different person leading worship each week), the Lord has revealed pride, un-submission to authority and that's just the tip of the iceberg. We are in such a mess that only God can sort it out, but it's not going to be pretty.
Sorry for such a depressing report, in myself, I am fine, but worship team is a burden to me just now. :sigh: I have to hand it all over to God and confess that I can't do anything to make things better, but He must, please, come and clean His church.

Upvote 0
J

Jenster

Sovereign Father, we lift up this worship team to You. The members are hurting and the team is divided. We pray for Your mighty Spirit to minister to their souls. Help them to trust You for understanding of what's going on, their role in this situation and for sanctification. Help them to be humble to Your direction. Father, You are in control of this and every situation. We pray for their renewal. In Jesus' awesome name, amen.

Upvote 0

vanilla8

Oct 16, 2005
✟11,954.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you

Jenster said:
Sovereign Father, we lift up this worship team to You. The members are hurting and the team is divided. We pray for Your mighty Spirit to minister to their souls. Help them to trust You for understanding of what's going on, their role in this situation and for sanctification. Help them to be humble to Your direction. Father, You are in control of this and every situation. We pray for their renewal. In Jesus' awesome name, amen.

Upvote 0