• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

If you were an executive at EWTN and it was up to you...

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Fenwick, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+9,013
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Let's say you're an executive with EWTN and it's on you to develop some new programming for various time slots. It can be any sort of format you want, and feature any Catholic from anywhere in the world. Who would you want to recruit and for what type of show?

This is kind of inspired by a side conversation in another thread about the current programming on the network so I thought I'd see what kind of ideas are out there.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,361
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    I really like Raymond Arroyo. But he's kind of one of a kind. I also really like Al Kresta. But he's also kind of one of a kind. I pay attention to Damian Thompson and Ed Pentin. But then a steady diet of it would be too much.

I do think one of the best things EWTN could do is to have a trustworthy news service. Well, they do, but it will be more and more needed as the rest of the media goes ultra-woke.

3. Fenwick

+9,013
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I've been wondering if News Nightly (and the new program In Depth) will see a rise in viewership as the trust in mainstream media continues to erode. Like I wonder if they had any gains after the election when Fox News fumbled and the plummeted in the ratings afterward.

What about Catholics who have smaller platforms right now (podcasts, smaller websites/publications) who might be good enough for a step up to the big leagues with EWTN?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  4. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,361
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Fox did fumble. And the big media is showing itself to be reliable organs of a particular political party's agenda. So a news source that can actually be trusted is an asset. Not sure I fully trust the USCCB news organ though, as the USCCB seems itself rather disappointing.
    How about brief runs of up and coming podcasts, maybe for a few minutes a show or for a few weeks, rotating them around. Everybody has to start small. No claim that EWTN fully endorses everything they ever did, but that they have some ideas of merit.

I think the thing we really need is assistance in getting serious about the faith. We now have the 'smaller and leaner' Church then cardinal Ratzinger predicted. How do we make that really work in evangelism, catechesis, liturgy, confession, everything? How do we cram for the final exam?

5. Fenwick

+9,013
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    That's a really good point. We're in a position now where we need some exceedingly pure teaching of the Church, completely unadulterated and undiluted. It'd be interesting to give priests like Fr. James Altman or Fr. Dave Nix platforms on there for that purpose.

6. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+39,120
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    All good ideas from both of you. The news programs are a given for me. But daytime hours, or after primetime hours need to be filled with the teachings of the Church without the doublespeak. I’m very tired of seeing repeats they have shown for years. Maybe some discussion shows with call ins. Shows that are somewhat entertaining while showing how to incorporate faith into daily living. You know how our homes are supposed to be a domestic Church? Do a show about that so it draws in people that are interested in cultivating that. It could include decor and cooking. Something edifying and fun to watch! There are all sorts of things that could be done to feed all of us and keep us tuned in. At this point there are only a few shows that do that. The rest seems like a lot of resting on the laurels of repeats, etc. I know I am only looking at this from my POV but there needs to be some life fed into that channel. Another idea I had is having a show that verifies Catholic news while debunking other news concerning the Catholic Church. I know I’m rambling but I got a million of them. But I do realize implementing these various ideas could be an extreme amount of work and expense. But that’s my 2 cents. :)

7. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,231
    Christian
    A more sophisticated set design would be nice. Lol yes I am being petty.

8. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+8,231
    Christian
    Maybe bring on someone from the Franciscan Friars of Renewal and have a discussion on spirituality and some Q&A

9. Chrystal-J

Chrystal-J the one who stands firm to the end will be saved Supporter

+4,418
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Others
    I love Called To Communion. I'd like to see another show similar in nature to that one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Romans 13:3

Romans 13:3 Newbie

+486
    Catholic
    I think Cy Kellett could have a bigger presence than just Catholic Answers. I think he could do an interview show with 'heavy hitters' and make it light but still educational.