If So Certain of Alien life Why Send Signals?

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The Truth About Admiral Byrd's "Bitter Reality" At Earth's End - The Gralien Report

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The question still is why are they frantically signaling where we are if they don't know what's out there?
Who do you think is "frantically signalling"?

We're blasting copious quantities of EM radiation into space in every direction and frequency with just our radio traffic. Beyond that, our atmosphere bears clear marks of our civilisation in it's very spectronomy. Any sufficiently advanced intelligence to do us any meaningful harm already knows we're here.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
They send signals because they don't know if there are aliens who are advanced or not.
Why would A God with the Power to create a whole Universe not have the power to create another advanced species around?
He obviously has the power to create anything He wants to. Thing is, He never mentioned that He did.

Do you think that He would create a civilization and not tell us, only to have it make contact with us? I find this very hard to believe.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that He would create a civilization and not tell us, only to have it make contact with us? I find this very hard to believe.
Considering that the bible was written by man, who has a finite knowledge of the universe (and still does in many aspects), I don't find this hard to believe at all; however, I'm not a proponent of the whole "alien conspiracy" or "aliens are among us" claptrap.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Bible was written my men, of finite knowledge, for sure. Yet it was inspired by an all knowing God who wanted us to know things that where beyond our knowledge or ability to know. It is God inspired, God breathed and penned by men. Far more than just a book of the thoughts of mere mortals.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, bud. Doesn't do it for me, especially since I don't believe in the whole "God breathed" aspect of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

But it's only in the last 100+ years or so that the radio frequency emission from our planet has been so large. Meaning that any extraterrestrial civilization that could detect it now it would have to be 100 LY or less away. Are there any potentially life-friendly planets within 100 LY radius of Earth?

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Loads, we think. But weve been causing industrial changes to our atmosphere for even longer, so there ould be observers significantly further out that already know about us.

My point was that no one has to actively signal anything. We're already actively signalling to anything that cares to listen.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,759.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Even without magic like faster then light ships and internationalism travel and even without a desire to expand and colonise a civilisation that has harnessed its star and pulled apart its asteroids has the energy and resources to send probes to every corner of the galaxy.

Life on Earth has been flaunting it's existence with the oxygen atmosphere for billions of years. If there were an advanced aliens, they could have found us long before the first man walked.

I just never buy the scenario:
1) Conquer the galaxy
2) Find some primitive aliens
3) Flash around in the sky to get worshiped as gods
4) Teach them dark secrets like... piling up some rocks to make a cool triangle building
5) Vanish forever without a signal or relic of any significance anywhere in the galaxy

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm... not sure why this is a response to me?

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2016
Somewhere or Another
✟10,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

There are different levels to which something can be unlikely. You buy insurance for your house, because house fires are something that we know to be possible and that happens fairly often in the big scheme of things. I don't really play the lottery, but I would assume that you do because it's fun, since there's a chance you'll win a prize at the end of the day. A lot of people wouldn't if there were no prize but the grand prize, though. You may be the exception to the rule, but there's a reason why there aren't that many lotteries that offer nothing but the grand prize.

Technically, there could be an incredibly predatory or territorial civilization near where we live that's just lying in wait for us to make a mistake and send a signal to it. If there were, though, and it were actually capable of doing anything about it, the chance that it wouldn't have found us by now is low to a much greater extent than winning the lottery. Even ignoring the most extreme possibilities (like a civilization so advanced that it's figured out a way to get around what, by all accounts, seems to be a hard limit on how fast something can go), a civilization capable of sending something to destroy all life on Earth would have sent out probes to explore its surroundings very thoroughly by now. We would if we could just out of curiosity, and if a civilization capable of doing so were actually looking to wipe out any potential competitors, it stretches credulity to think that they wouldn't have done it by now. We'd be a lot more likely to be given away by a small probe hidden somewhere on one of the countless unexplored asteroids than by a signal we sent out ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟927,759.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm... not sure why this is a response to me?
General kind of agreement with, and a comment on people who believe that aliens have already contacted us. Sorry, i didn't phrase it that well.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You will not be included in these.

Well obviously if I was already included I wouldn't be asking to be included.

But if you google it

Oh, so you have no evidence at all to support your comments. How disappointing.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But it's only in the last 100+ years or so that the radio frequency emission from our planet has been so large.

Actually it's worse than that. Analog signal might be interpretable by an alien race but digital is just so much static without an appropriate decoder, and most if not all of our traffic is digital now.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Since that is so then why go out of our way to send messages on how they can locate us on disks?
Voyager - The Golden Record

Obviously we do want to be found. Also notice that the ones finding the disk are expected to be technically sophisticated enough to decipher it and perhaps even respond or perhaps locate our position and pay us a visit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

So from your standpoint that "probably"" justifies taking the risk.

Upvote 0